Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:38:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Open ocean - how small is too small?  (Read 2859 times)

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
For those who fish open ocean, is a 10ft yak too short?  I love my Native Slayer Propel and it's wide and super stable, but it's only 10ft long.  I'm interested in Pacific City or Depoe Bay for either bottom fish or to drop a crab pot or two....not both on the same trip, and only when the weather and water conditions are favorable. 

I talked to a guy with a 10footer at PC and he said there's no difference between 10ft or 12.

What do you guys think?

-Dungydog 

-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
You could launch from depoe or any protected launch, but it's a bit short for a surf launch.  You'll also need to make sure you don't get caught by the current as a 10 footer is gonna be slow.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Dungydog

• Rockfish
Great point on the current and speed, as one of my concerns is getting fatigued peddling out or back in. 

Perhaps if the Oregon Rock Classic is out of Depoe Bay I might join to get the experience with a group.

-Dungydog
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
You'd be fine for harbor launches, like Depoe Bay.  If you're launching out of Depoe with a 3 foot swell and light wind, a 10 foot kayak will catch just as many rockfish and lingcod as a 16 foot kayak.  You don't have to move far from the harbor to get on good RF and lingcod grounds.  Given that the Propel is foot-powered, you'd also have no problem trolling for salmon.  But if you're looking for a Pacific halibut, you might need a slightly bigger boat  :D.

Flat-calm days are few and far between this time of year, but they do happen.  Keep an eye on the forecasts.  ORC is great, but conditions on tourney day are a luck of the draw.  If I see a nice window and it fits into my schedule, I'll post a hook-up.
aMayesing Bros.

Dungydog

• Rockfish
Thanks Lee and Clayman.  That's reassuring.  I'll keep my eyes open for anybody going out to buddy up with.

-Dungydog
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
A lot depends on your size, too.

There's are big differences between how 10 and 12 foot kayaks behave, so you're smart for asking about it here.

I wouldn't take my 10 foot kayak into open water, but I don't think twice about using my 13-footer out there.  The shorter kayak is squirrely in anything but fairly calm conditions - it's not great for surf launches (and landings) and it's not at all fun in swells larger than two feet, or in wind above 10 knots, or in a cross current...
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Dungydog

• Rockfish
I'm 5'9" and 155lbs, well 160 after the holidays.  I'd pack lightly in terms of gear and I don't see any reason to be further than a mile from shore. 

-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Not an expert by any means, but my rule of thumb with safety related questions is always, if I need to ask, it's probably not super safe (not saying unsafe, just saying pay attention).  You can work around anything, but that's up to you.  Go out with mates you can trust who've done it before and no problem, even if you make a tuna sandwich (hopefully).  10 footer is doable, especially yours, but it is all about what you can handle smartly and safely.  There is always risk. I rock a 16 footer and flipped being greedy on new years for the landing after a fun surf ride.  (Note: I've also flipped in Tillamook Bay, because...uhh.. yeah).  Depoe would be my choice if I still used a 10 footer, but again, if you're asking, you know there's a reason.  Slow sucks a lot on the ocean, especially with wind or a current.  Whatever you do, be safe, and operate within your means.  You should always be prepared to help someone else, not be prepared to be helped.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I am also very interested in getting my feet wet (so to speak) in ocean fishing.  Fished all summer/fall for salmon
and crabbed in Nehalem and Tillamook but have not hit the ocean as yet.  Have an Outback and all the ocean safety gear but want to make the first trip with an experienced crew or person.  Also, what is the best place to get solid forecasts of weather conditions and what are you looking for as far as conditions that are conducive for an ocean trip?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
It's really a crap shoot no matter what anyone recommends.  Like anyone else who lives right on the coast, all I can say is that we figure a forecast is good for three hours, tops.

If you accept that a forecast is very short-range, what I do is check the NOAA buoy data (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/?lat=47.700000&lon=-127.700000&zoom=5&type=oceans&status=r&pgm=NDBC%20Meteorological%2FOcean&op=Moored%20Buoys&ls=n) because you can see the trend in swell height as you check the buoys to the North and South of where you're headed (turn on the NOS/CO-OP buoy data).  I prefer sites that do forecasts for sailing to sites that do forecasts for surfing, and Windfinder has been pretty spot on in my area for past three years (https://www.windfinder.com/#9/45.1968/-123.9673).  Another site that's been a lot more accurate than the surfing sites is Tides4Fishing (http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/oregon).

And then, for a couple of days before a trip, I'll keep an eye on the USCG Bar Observations (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/marine/BarObs.php) because it show real time data and I can compare it to the forecasts.

And if f the spot has a webcam, I'll check it the day before.

It takes a bit of experience to correlate forecasts to actual conditions in any location because the geological features make a big difference.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:50:17 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The size of your kayak isn't going to be a huge issue out of PC or Depoe.  If you have a PFD, a drysuit or wetsuit and a backup paddle, you're golden.  Worse case scenario (given that you don't have some catastrophic failure, not related to the length of your kayak) is that you'll land on a nearby beach and have to walk back to your vehicle.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Archer0135

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
What are everyone's opinions on Jackson Cudas for this style of fishing? Looking to upgrade my basic 10' entry level this spring and have seen a few used Cudas for sale.

• Date Registered: Apr 2017
What are everyone's opinions on Jackson Cudas for this style of fishing? Looking to upgrade my basic 10' entry level this spring and have seen a few used Cudas for sale.

I have no experience with the Cuda, but I have a new Coosa HD that I've fished a number of times at PC and it is a dream out on the water. Fishes rivers very well, too. Tracks well, it's fairly quick and extremely stable. This is my first Jackson and I'm a big fan.

skidlybo

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I used to own one.  Well made with great fishing features and a super comfortable seat.  Very stable but that comes at a price......ssslow.  There's no single kayak that can do it all.  The cuda covers a lot of bases but speed isn't one of them.  If that's not a top priority then it might be what you're looking for.  IMHO I think it might be best suited for lakes and slower water.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
My wife and sister and niece have all fished out of a OK Venus 11 at PC with no issues. Similar to what Spot said: immersion gear, PFD, extra paddle, be confident with deep water re-entry, don't be stupid, you'll be fine.

That said I do think if you start doing it regularly you'll notice the advantages of a longer ride. But for a trip out to the rock on a calm day I don't think the length of your boat will be the deciding factor.

anything