Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Maiden voyage was a success!  (Read 2447 times)

O. mykiss

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
My brother in law and I launched my ocean kayak drifter and his caper near the Hatfield science center in Newport. We dropped three pots near the OSU docks and paddled across to fish for rockfish near the sea wall. After a slow start, we found the fish and caught our rockfish limits with copper rockfish and greenling. We also caught 3 nice striped perch. Upon pulling the pots we caught 14 nice hard-shelled keeper dungies! Super stoked how well the first trip went. Really happy with how stable my O.K. Drifter is. I will post pictures soon

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Nice, it's always good to taste success on the first trip. How was the ride with your Drifter? The primary complaint of that kayak is wet butt, however those reviews could have come from the huskier folks who have paddled them.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

O. mykiss

• Herring
Lingbanger, I did have to bail water a couple times but I have nothing to compare it to. With water running down the paddle and my cotton crab bag draining water into the kayak whenever I moved I’m not sure how any kayak would be different. The bay was glassy so water splashing over the relatively low sides on the drifter was not a factor. I see you live in Lincoln Beach, I live in Siletz. I would like to meet up with some experienced kayakers to learn a thing or two. I know quite a bit about fishing but I am new to the kayak scene
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:26:46 PM by O. mykiss »

O. mykiss

• Herring
Photo evidence

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Nice first trip. What did you get the perch on, bait? I've only caught them with bait myself.

O. mykiss

• Herring
Thanks. Yeah, sand shrimp. I’ve caught lots of pink fins on the Berkeley  gulp sand worms but the striped perch only have taken mussels or sand shrimp for me.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Thanks. Yeah, sand shrimp. I’ve caught lots of pink fins on the Berkeley  gulp sand worms but the striped perch only have taken mussels or sand shrimp for me.

Raw frozen shrimp bits on small #8 or #10 hooks will work for striped perch too.

Nice haul.

C_Run

• Sturgeon

I used to get those striped perch on mussels around Cape Perpetua before it was a marine reserve.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I am thinking of heading to Newport this weekend.  Got the crabbing down, but could use some pointers on the fishing.  I have been in the bay and know generally where you were fishing, but could use some more specific directions.  Also, what kind of rigging do you use for the rockfish?  Sounds like mussels and sand shrimp are a good bet for bait. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Beer_Run
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Man I love seeing a salt report this time of year - keep it up! My wife and I have scoped out that place to launch before - glad to see it can be productive.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Those are some pretty nice perch! I may try this this weekend. I am thinking of working the inside of the North jetty on an incoming tide. I have also caught a lot of rockfish and lings from the south Jetty. You don't have to go way out.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

O. mykiss

• Herring
Drifter, I have had amazing days fishing off the north jetty and I would like to fish it from my kayak. Just out of curiosity where’s do you launch from? That is a pretty good push from the harbor all the way out to the north jetty past the “hump” where most lingcod are caught. Maybe I’m just out of shape but in my paddle kayak it seemed like a good workout to go from the OSU docks over to the undersea garden
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:17:52 AM by O. mykiss »

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Maybe I’m just out of shape but in my paddle kayak it seemed like a good workout to go from the OSU docks over to the undersea gardens

Unless you are planning a switch to a pedal kayak in the near future the best thing you could do for yourself is upgrade your paddle.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

C_Run

• Sturgeon
Maybe I’m just out of shape but in my paddle kayak it seemed like a good workout to go from the OSU docks over to the undersea gardens

Unless you are planning a switch to a pedal kayak in the near future the best thing you could do for yourself is upgrade your paddle.

I only fished there once a couple of years ago, also in a paddle kayak. Be cognizant of what the tide is doing, of course. I fished through high tide and a short time into the outgoing. It was a little tough getting back but you don't want to linger out there too long until it really gets ripping. That goes for anywhere where the tide is a factor. I recall we fished the south jetty and the "barbs" and caught rockfish and undersized lings that day.

O. mykiss

• Herring
Yeah tides are a major consideration, I factor in not only tide timing but also tide size and the amount of fresh water entering a bay. In addition swell direction and size are important to factor in also if fishing either in the ocean or near the end of the jetties. I have spent lots of time fishing the ocean out of boats but I think fishing from rocks and jetties has taught me more about safety factors than anything else. I would really like to fish the jetties in yaquina bay, but I want to launch as close as possible to limit travel time and maximize fishing time!