Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Gear Track & Scotty DIY Adaptor  (Read 4208 times)

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Today was project day.  Finally mounted the Scotty Orca rod holders to the DIY Gear Track I did last year.  Used a yellow cutting board I picked up from the dollar store.  Each holder consists of (4) 8/32 stainless screws and lock nuts as well as (2) 1/4-20 stainless carriage bolts and nuts.
 I didn't want to use wing nuts so I epoxied the 1/4-20 nuts in some plastic bottle caps (complete with a maple leaf embossed in the top, haha).  Drilled a couple extra holes in each mounting plate so we'd have a place to temporarily hook our lure when we're out on the water.  After mounting these and placing a fishing hook into the hole, I will need to shape these a bit better.  I'll run a small file into it to make more of a teardrop shape.

Things are progressing nicely!
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Nice!  The cutting board you used matches your kayak.  Why did you decide to mount the rod holder bases on two small squares of cutting board rather than one bigger rectangle?

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Beautiful! I love it!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
Pmmpete, I only have a few of these cutting boards as the dollar store dropped the line.  I want to make a couple more items and would like to make the brackets from the same material so that it all matches.  Choice was purely based on conservation of materials.

Thanks rawkfish
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Nice work! I need to make some of these up for my ti. What did you use to cut the board? Also, are you running gear track from yakattack? I have been looking at which bolts to use and curious which bolt heads will fit

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Nice work! I need to make some of these up for my ti. What did you use to cut the board? Also, are you running gear track from yakattack? I have been looking at which bolts to use and curious which bolt heads will fit
I posted an explanation of how to make devices which mount on gear tracks at http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=13167.msg144750#msg144750 . However, the specific stainless steel carriage bolts I modified to fit into my YakAttack 1.75 gear tracks may not fit properly in the brand and model of gear tracks on your kayak.  Bring your gear tracks or your kayak to a hardware store, try sliding some carriage bolts into the track, and choose a size of bolt which can be modified to fit your track.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:34:13 PM by pmmpete »

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
Shin09, I used a table saw to cut the cutting board pieces to the desired size.  Small block plane to clean up the cuts (also used a small file).  Drill press for the holes.  Honestly, there's many ways to accomplish this.  I just happen to have all of this readily available to me.

My Gear Track is also a DIY project (way less $$$).  You can view that here: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=19859.0

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

As pmmpete mentioned.  The carriage bolts are just a hair too wide to slip into the tracks and my DIY tracks are no different in that respect.  About 5 or 6 passes with a file will knock down the edge enough that they will fit.  Alternatively, you could take some stainless or aluminium flat stock that fits, cut it to the desired length, file the ends round and drill a hole in the center to pass a bolt through it.  Dependent on your tool selection, availability of materials and the amount of time you want to spend is really what is going to determine how you want to do it.  I have the tools and still went with the carriage bolt method... 
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)

Shin09

• Salmon
Thanks for the explanation, I only have hand tools, so I am trying to make this as simple as possible for myself. 

It really surprises me that no-one has made a gear track mount that adapts a standards scotty/folbe/ram 4 screw mount to gear track.  I know the mighty mounts do this, but they are a somewhat clunky solution at best and ridiculously priced to boot. 

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
It really surprises me that no-one has made a gear track mount that adapts a standards scotty/folbe/ram 4 screw mount to gear track.  I know the mighty mounts do this, but they are a somewhat clunky solution at best and ridiculously priced to boot.
Stealth makes a nice rod holder base which goes in a gear track.  See https://www.stealthrodholders.com/collections/bases-and-extensions/products/2-point-track-mount-coming-soon .  Stealth's rod holders and bases have the same basic design as Scotty Rod holders and bases.  However, the last time I checked, the dimensions of Stealth's equipment are sufficiently different from Scotty's equipment that you can't use a Stealth rod holder in a Scotty base, or a Scotty rod holder in a Stealth base.

Shin09

• Salmon
So I actually have one of the stealth ones and it works with the Scotty post I have.  Unfortunately it is not locking, as such, you have to be a bit careful when pulling the rod out.    I need a second one and cant decide if I want to spend the $$ on a stealth one or make one myself that would use the Folbe locking mount that came with the rod holder. 

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
So I actually have one of the stealth ones and it works with the Scotty post I have.  Unfortunately it is not locking, as such, you have to be a bit careful when pulling the rod out.
Drill a hole through the Stealth base and the shaft of the Scotty rod holder and stick a pin through them to keep the rod holder from coming out of the base when you jerk your rod out of the rod holder.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 05:15:03 PM by pmmpete »

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
Yes, a small locking pin would hold well enough.

I really like that stealth mount you linked to pmmpete.  That's a super clean look.

Shin09, all of this build can be achieved with just basic hand tools.  It just takes a little longer is all.

For anybody reading this...  I really can't stress this enough!  DO NOT GET HUNG UP ON A LACK OF TOOLS.  I've been woodworking and playing with mechanics as a hobby since I was a child.  Because of this, I've got a pretty good assortment of tools to play with.  A small hand saw, a small hand drill with an assortment of drill bits and a file/sandpaper, a ruler/straightedge and a pencil is ALL YOU REALLY NEED.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
For anybody reading this...  I really can't stress this enough!  DO NOT GET HUNG UP ON A LACK OF TOOLS.  I've been woodworking and playing with mechanics as a hobby since I was a child.  Because of this, I've got a pretty good assortment of tools to play with.  A small hand saw, a small hand drill with an assortment of drill bits and a file/sandpaper, a ruler/straightedge and a pencil is ALL YOU REALLY NEED.
He's right.  I made my downrigger mounts, my rod holder bases, and a lot of other fishing doo-dads with basic hand tools.  When working with HDPE plastic, a well sharpened wood plane is also very useful.

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I like that.the hook holes are a great idea.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Shin09

• Salmon
So I actually have one of the stealth ones and it works with the Scotty post I have.  Unfortunately it is not locking, as such, you have to be a bit careful when pulling the rod out.
Drill a hole through the Stealth base and the shaft of the Scotty rod holder and stick a pin through them to keep the rod holder from coming out of the base when you jerk your rod out of the rod holder.

My qualm with that would be then  I would be locked into a single position, and I tend to move my rod holder around.  I am going to go the route of building one similar to these I think.