Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:18:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: The self rescue!  (Read 42048 times)

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
When I first practiced re-entry with the Outback, I was surprised how easy it was to get back into. Much easier than my little Caper. Flipping it back over was even easier grabbing the drive well. I was able to get back aboard much quicker than the guy in the video.
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

• Date Registered: Aug 2011
I'm thinking something similar but simpler.  A simple stirrup to help with Zee's "good kick".  Just a short strap or line with a snap on one end and a loop on the other.  It should be small enough to carry in your PFD.  Snap it to the carry handle on your side (I'm thinking selfishly of my Revo), put foot in loop, then proceed with Zee's procedure. 

I've never tried a stirrup, but I suppose a potential issue is flipping the yak over you.  Real world experimentation is in order.  Sounds like fun!

Just got back from practicing self rescue in my Outback.  Made a simple stirrup using a tie-down strap from my pick up and a 1.5 inch x 12" piece of PVC.  I attached it behind the seat where i have my Ama sidekick bar.  It was so much easier with the strap.  It got a lot easier once i really concentrated on kicking with my free leg.
1st place, 1st bi-annual Humpy Classic

"May the fish be always in your favor."

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Is the video in the top post still alive?  I see blank space in the post.

Had a chance to figure out self-rescue on a warm lake while testing a Big Tuna last summer with my teenage daughter on board.  We were laughing our heads off after we rolled.  I was out of the seat when she turned and leaned the same way I did.

The stand assist strap on the Jackson works well for righting if attached to a side handle.  Flipping a wide boat without a strap is near impossible.

Didn't thing to use the loop as a foot assist but that would have been easier than the fish kick re-entry.  Thanks for the pointers, I'll want to try this out!

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

MikeinFresno

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
for those of you who have an Outback, and have the ladder assist strap, what length of strap would I use? The web site for the commercial units made do not give lengths or specify what they consider a large or regular size yak.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I just went to the lake with a piece longer then I knew I needed and tied it at different lengths till I found the length and location that worked best for me.  Once I found the length that worked best for me I cut off the extra and made it look pretty.   :banjo:

Works great.  There was no way I was getting my self up over the side of my outback without it.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
If I flip my fishing kayak, I want to flip it back upright and heave myself back in as quickly as possible, so I can deal with whatever flipped me over.  I have seem some videos of people demonstrating the use of stirrups, ladders, and paddle floats to right a kayak and climb back into it, which showed that they can be deployed fairly quickly and efficiently.  But I have seen other videos where the demonstrator fumbled around endlessly getting his or her equipment set up, even in flat water.  Slow is not good.  Fast is good.  So if you use a stirrup or ladder to get back into your kayak, practice so you can right your kayak and get back into it with the assistance of your equipment pretty quickly.  You probably won't be able to get back in your kayak nearly as fast as somebody who isn't using a stirrup or ladder.  But if you can't get back into your kayak without a stirrup or a ladder, getting back in slowly is way better than being unable to get back in.

A technique issue:  When climbing back into a kayak, some people like to grab the near gunwale with one hand, and the far gunwale with the other hand.  This is the technique which Zeehawk demonstrated in the video in the initial posting in this thread.  I prefer to lay horizontal in the water, grab the near gunwale with both hands, and pull myself up across my kayak (or pull the kayak underneath me, depending on your perspective) with one quick motion.  When spearfishing, I do this many times a day with 13-16 pounds of weights on my body and 3.5 pounds on each ankle, and I find that grabbing the near gunwale with both hands works best for me.  But try both techniques, and see what works best for you when climbing back into your kayak.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:54:15 AM by pmmpete »

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Lots of new folks and it's a good reminder that sometimes the most exciting part of kayak is getting back in.  Saw this on a site and thought I'd toss it out.  There's other good videos toward the beginning of this link. This shows a cowboy rentry at the start that can be a challenge when you have gear on the deck but also show the faster "pull yourself in" that works pretty good but requires some practice, especially when it's cold as now.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I got out to the lake to practice my re-entry skills before getting out to the ocean next week. I know it's a... little different being in a slight swell than it is on a calmer lake. I didn't wear what I would wear on the ocean except for my life-jacket. The water was a bit chilly and the initial dump into the water caught me by surprise, but I was able to throw my Revo 13 and Mini-X over pretty easily, pushing them both up and over. After a few times doing that, I remembered that I'd probably be loaded with crab pots, a fish-finder battery and other miscellaneous gear so it might be harder to push than to pull. On the next couple of tries, I pulled myself over the flipped kayak, grabbed the far handle and let my 185 pounds pull it back to the upright position. So much easier! I know I need to practice this every year or so because just my THINKING that I'm in shape and can pull myself into a kayak doesn't necessarily mean that I can.

My daughters (8 and 15) also got into their kayaks and practiced re-entry as well for when they eventually come fishing with me whether it be on the lake, bay or river. I told them, "This is one of the skills you have to have in order to go kayaking. If you can do it and pull yourself in then you can kayak. You can't expect someone else to do it for you." They seemed pretty proud fo their achievement.

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

anything