Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:20:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Fish and Parasites  (Read 20597 times)

bigdood

• Lingcod
  • poormansheli
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Bumping this old guy up again.  I've heard various ways to supposedly keep the worms from moving into the flesh - gutting at sea, putting on ice immediately (whole), etc.  Does anybody gut their halibut/ling cod at sea to (supposedly) keep the worms from moving into the flesh?  I typically just catch and throw in a burlap sack and occasionally dip back into the ocean to keep cool but am all ears for suggestions

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Resurection of the dead and ugly! I love it!

I dont know of anybody wasting fishing time immediately gutting their fish out on a kayak.

I am a beliver in bleeding out the fish though.  By my observation, that has a very noticeable effect of the meat quality, and that makes seeing and picking out the reddish color of the worms a whole lot easier when the meat is opaque white vs. pinkish-red bloody. This is what I a have found that works for me since I started this post.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:46:18 AM by browneyesvictim »
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Bleed out and field dress all animals one intends to keep. Drastically effects the quality of the meat and ultimately slows decay.

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Bleed out and field dress all animals one intends to keep. Drastically effects the quality of the meat and ultimately slows decay.

-Rodney-

While that sounds great you are making some very sweeping generalizations there...
I would agree that bleeding all fish is necessary abut I would not agree that it is necessary to dress all fish. Some fish respond differently to being left in the round.
Some species you can leave in the round for a week and still have good fillets. Some you shouldn't leave 24 hours. 

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod

-Rodney-

While that sounds great you are making some very sweeping generalizations there...
I would agree that bleeding all fish is necessary abut I would not agree that it is necessary to dress all fish. Some fish respond differently to being left in the round.
Some species you can leave in the round for a week and still have good fillets. Some you shouldn't leave 24 hours.
pls elaborate as growing up with a hunting and fishing background I have always dressed any animal no mater what its make up, as to avoid spoilage. Gutting an animal helps bring its tissue temperature down while removing potentially dangerous bacteria, keeping the meat fresh. I can't disagree with you completely Gunnin as I absolutely do not know everything and if there is a species better left in the round I would be happy to learn what species and perhaps why?

-Rodney-
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:44:35 PM by SturgeonRod »
-Rodney-

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
There aren't species that keep better in the round. Just some that it is unnecessary to gut.
Namely rockfish. Their guts will not eat through the belly lining like salmon or cod will. Simply bleeding and chilling is plenty of prep.
If you want to gut your rockfish on the water go for it but you are asking to cut, spine or otherwise hurt yourself for no marked benefit. 

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
There aren't species that keep better in the round. Just some that it is unnecessary to gut.
Namely rockfish. Their guts will not eat through the belly lining like salmon or cod will. Simply bleeding and chilling is plenty of prep.
If you want to gut your rockfish on the water go for it but you are asking to cut, spine or otherwise hurt yourself for no marked benefit. 

I dunno.  If you eat your rockfish whole, it will benefit from a quick gutting.  Rockfish can get a slight, unpleasant "belly flavor" if left in the round too long.  If you filet them and toss the carcs, then yeah, just bleed.

-Allen

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012

Fungunnin, could you expand a bit on gutting salmanoid species? By that I mean, say you're fishing kokanee, trout, or steelhead all day and you've got a couple in the fish bag on ice. It's going to be another 7-8 hrs before you get home to fillet them. Assuming the fish stay cool till then is there a drastic difference in the meat quality between a fish that was bled, gutted, and stuck on ice as opposed to one that was just bled and iced?
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod
You will never find a fish in market left in round as it is unsanitary an fish meat will take on the flavour of its stomach and contents.

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
You will never find a fish in market left in round as it is unsanitary an fish meat will take on the flavour of its stomach and contents.

-Rodney-

Ummm ... lots of Asian food markets carry fish in the round.

-Allen

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod
You can find out yourself next time your out catch two fish of the same species, area and size. Gut the first immediately and leave the second round. Store both fish in the same fashion. Once home prepare some of each fish in the same manor and you will defiantly taste a differance.

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon

-Rodney-

Don't make statements you know nothing about. Any decent fish market will have some fish left in the round.

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod

-Rodney-

-Allen
lol I realize there are accept ions to every rule. By market I meant modern north american markets ie Safeway,wallmart ect. not all markets will practice the same preparation methods. Traditional preparation methods will vary by culture. None the less all persons grow up consuming different flavours and as I have noted above the only way to tell is to compare finished flavours between alternate methods of preparation.

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon

-Rodney-

-Allen
lol I realize there are accept ions to every rule. By market I meant modern north american markets ie Safeway,wallmart ect. not all markets will practice the same preparation methods. Traditional preparation methods will vary by culture. None the less all persons grow up consuming different flavours and as I have noted above the only way to tell is to compare finished flavours between alternate methods of preparation.

-Rodney-

I'm sorry you consider Safeway and Walmart your fish stores of choice. Though that does speak directly to your general lack of understanding about seafood handling.

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod

-Rodney-

Don't make statements you know nothing about. Any decent fish market will have some fish left in the round.

correction in my experience I have not found any edible game fish kept in the round. My apologies :)

-Rodney-
-Rodney-