Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:41:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: How To: Painting a shark mouth on your bow  (Read 15506 times)

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
After the discussion a week or so ago about custom painting on our yaks, I decided to give it a go...  Here is a basic photo tutorial of how I went about doing it.

Before you start make sure you have the following available:
*Acetone/Toulene/Laquer Thinner
*Paint masking tape
*X-acto knife or equivalent
*Drop cloth
*Desired paint colors (I used Krylon Fusion paint for the red and Fascolor RC car body paint for the black)
*Spray clear coating
*3M/Scotch white tape for teeth (I would use the Fascolor paint in white if I had to do it again.)
*1" foam brush
*200 or 400 grit sandpaper
*lint-free cloth
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:45:14 PM by Yarjammer »

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:45:46 PM by Yarjammer »

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
Here is the basic process I went through:

1. Thoroughly clean the bow with the lacquer thinner and a lint free cloth

2. Wrap the rest of the yak with your drop cloth to protect it from any over spray

3. Begin masking of the bow in the general form that you want you mouth to look like

4. Use your X-acto knife to "clean" it up and smooth out the shape

5. Lightly sand the unmasked area with 200 or 400 grit sandpaper

6. Thouroughly clean the unmasked area again to remove any dust

7. Begin applying the background spray paint in multiple light coats (I used about 7)

8. Let stand for about an hour or so and remove the masking tape

9. Begin cutting the small teeth out of the white tape, leaving a tag end for application

10. Trim the tag ends off to follow the contour of the mouth.

11. Apply the tape over the rest of the mouth.  Make sure to minimize the overlap and do not smooth over the tape to much

12. Use the X-acto knife to cut out the remaining teeth

13. Remove the unneeded tape and smooth down on the teeth

14. Use the black paint and a small foam brush to outline the mouth and teeth.  Make sure to slightly overlap the white tape (this will help seal the tape

15. Let stand for about an hour or so

16. Begin applying the clear coat in multiple light coats (I used about 10)

17. Let cure for about a week.

I tested it last week with Yessnoo and it help up great after a day on the water.  It does chip a little bit, but you really have to try to do it.  I'm sure the results will be even better when the ambient air temp is higher.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:49:47 PM by Yarjammer »

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Yeah, dude! Killer!
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Nice work! 

I wonder if vinyl print sticker from a sign shop would hold up to abuse better than paint? 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Yarjammer,

Beautiful job! All you need now are the eyes!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Nice work! 

I wonder if vinyl print sticker from a sign shop would hold up to abuse better than paint? 

I picked up a quote from a guy that would make stickers for me. I'm not sure how he'd get it to fit the curves of the bow of the boat, but I guess that's why he's the pro.

I also asked how much to have him make up some pictures of my wife to stick up on the sides like the old aircraft pilots did.
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
damnn, bomber nose art on a yak..who would'a thunk it.... >:D

hey, Yar, now you gots to change the avatar pic!!

Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Nice work Yar! Very nice and clean. A really good thing Yar did was to put his design in a place that takes little abuse. I think everything we try to stick on our yaks will get ripped/scraped off at some point but putting it in a place that takes little abuse will make it go a long way. Also doing a kick ass job like Yar doesn't hurt either! ;)

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
Thanks guys!  I think the decal idea might work, but it would be cost prohibitive compared to the relatively low budget attempt I did unless you did a bulk purchase.  One additional step/option might be in order to make it more permanent and require zero touchup- using the headlight rockchip film in lieu of a clear coat.

I was nervous about the design being obscured while on the water, but yessnoo said it is almost completely visible and unsubmerged.  This is probably due more to the fact the aft end is loaded pretty heavily compared to the bow.

I know a few of you guys have been on the fence about doing it... now its your turn to take a leap of faith and join the Tigershark Yak Revolution!

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
Very nice, Yarjammer, very nice indeed. Really nice write up as well!

I've considered pimpin' my yak out for a while, but I'm not sure I'm gonna keep it around forever and want to be able to sell it clean. I may apply some reflective vinyl striping for fun and safety. Here's an easy source linked up for any interested in where to get striping by the roll. (Sign Warehouse - Universal Pinstriping) Reflective striping can be put on nearly any smooth surface, so you could make your 'yak light up BIG in any low light condition.

I'm a sign guy.  If anybody has questions, just ask.  I can write it up and post on the subject if there is enough interest.  Yarjammer's approach is more practical than a pure vinyl graphic of this size, unless you want to take the time to learn the methods used in hand patterning, cutting and applying vinyl (which I'd be willing to share here.)

•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I'm a sign guy.  If anybody has questions, just ask.  I can write it up and post on the subject if there is enough interest.  Yarjammer's approach is more practical than a pure vinyl graphic of this size, unless you want to take the time to learn the methods used in hand patterning, cutting and applying vinyl (which I'd be willing to share here.)

Cool. I think a lot of us would like to do it but the most prohibitive factor would be how much it would cost. I'm sure a sticker the size of Yar's spitfire mouth would take some coin.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  Well, I'm in the biz (temporarily out on medical leave) and have connections, but I can tell you that it isn't hard to get your hands on scrap material of that size and various colors. If you can find a shop that isn't desperate for cash (the bigger the better), you could probably walk out with enough vinyl to do something similar for $40 or less, depending on the size.  It's the labor that is so costly. I'd have to say that at my work we wouldn't touch doing this kind of thing for less than $225, and that would have to be a very simple design. That buys you 2 1/2 hours and materials.  :'(  Unfortunately, there is no standard that would be useful for the kind of design we're looking at here. When I think of the waterline and exposed hull of the kayaks that I've seen, the variation is tremendous.  They end up being custom every time.  This is one of the reasons why Yarjammer's approach is so practical. He's created the original shape in place, on the finished surface, with traditional painting techniques. Good way to go.
  I guess I'll think about doing something that I can take photos of as I go along. I do have the time these days.  How much interest is there in learning to do this by hand using vinyl? (of course in a new thread...)

-edit-
  I called the shop and asked our painter about making paint stick to plastics.  He only had one answer for it. Akzo Nobel makes a line of paint called GripFlex that is used to custom color the interior of acrylic and polycarbonate illuminated sign faces.  It requires 8 to 12 coats sprayed very thin with only 5 minutes flash time between coats (depending on temp). I don't think it's worth all this work, but just more info for those interested.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:44:19 PM by 'Yak Monkey »
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
I would also recommend Parma 's FasKolor paint.  I use it for painting RC Car/Truck bodies.  I am fairly sure it shares the same properties as the Akzo Nobel and is actually available to mere mortals. YM, where do you buy this Akzo Nobel?  I can't find any place that actually sells it.

http://www.parmapse.com/fas1.html

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
Lemme take a look.  I'll see what I can find for distributors.  Akzo Nobel is an industrial supplier, so they may not make any effort to establish retail sales.  I'll see what I can find out.

News at 11.