Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Wheels for a Revo13  (Read 3377 times)

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
All great points. Your advise is very much appreciated. Thanks guys!
I’ve used dirt bike tires with a conduit axle, old lawn mower trailers converted into kayak trailers, and bicycle wheels wrapped with pool noodles and a conduit axle to get to and from the cape. Most of the time with two kayaks per cart. All of those redneck contraptions have worked and sure as hell didn’t get stolen off the beach while I was fishing but I can’t wait to make the hike with a quality set of wheels! I’m going to order them now. I’ll keep the redneck wheels around for any of my buddies who come along without

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I built mine out of PVC eight years ago when I was told by many that PVC was a bad idea and never going to last. Whatever?  ::)

Anywho, I built mine to come apart into three parts of frame, one axle, and two wheels. All with just four locking pins.

The beauty of this unit is that I can change my axle (have two lengths) and run either size of the Wheeleez.

It can all fit inside the hull, or just plug in behind my seat. Never been a problem with weight distribution and I'm a bit more plump than you Casey.

Do you have a picture of it?

I don't generally make a habit of taking pictures of some of all my odd ball creations.  I build stuff from the hip, if it works awesome!  If not, I try something else.  I must have taken a picture of my cart for some reason or another, but can't remember why.  However, I don't have any pictures of it broken down into the individual bits or with my longer axle running the bigger Wheeleez tires. Just know that with the bigger tires, there is still an inch or more of clearance between the tire and the hull.

The "T"s with the locking pins are hogged out with an air tool, but I suppose a flat blade drill bit would do the same.  This allows for the two main vertical sections to slip through the "T"s and be pinned in place.

The tires shown are Wheeleez (SKU: WZ1-24UB) with the 3/4" ID bushing.
My bigger ones are Wheeleez (SKU: WZ1-30UB) with the 3/4" ID bushing.
The axle is 3/4" solid aluminum.
The cart is made of Sched 80 PVC.  Much thicker and stronger than Sched 40 PVC.

You can probably see the white PVC (Sched 40) where the axle goes through, those were just used for wear shims and to get the ID down to 3/4".
These shims are NOT glued in place. Rather I used a set screw to hold them in place.  If you zoom into the top picture, you should be able to see the 4 set screws used on the top of the lower "T"s (two for each "T").

(Below)
How I normally store my cart while fishing.  However the entire thing can be taken apart and stored in an old camp chair bag (other than the wheels), and all of it goes in the back hatch if I don't need it quickly.  The bigger tires will just go in the front hatch if I needed to hide the below deck.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
As for how the Hobie cart with the big tires looks on a Revo, you can see John (BlueWRX02) here with his stuffed behind him, along with his soft sided cooler.  My cart basically looks the same with my big tires, only a few inches narrower.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'd skip the scupper mount.  The scuppers on the newer hobies are reinforced but still, that's not a place you want to put a whole lot of stress on your kayak.

Okay, but the full-size Wheelez uses the scuppers, so that would be ruled-out.  Is there a reason why you stack two kayaks on a cart, one on top of the other?  That'd be a load to haul no matter what terrain you're crossing or what cart you use.

Malone is making a strap-on cart with big fat wheels now and it looks to have enough padding to protect the bottom kayak.  https://www.amazon.com/Malone-BEACHHAULER-SOFT-TERRAIN-HEAVY-DUTY-BUNKS/dp/B06XJNZB9F/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1523209473&sr=8-17&keywords=malone+kayak+cart
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I'd skip the scupper mount.  The scuppers on the newer hobies are reinforced but still, that's not a place you want to put a whole lot of stress on your kayak.

Okay, but the full-size Wheelez uses the scuppers, so that would be ruled-out.  Is there a reason why you stack two kayaks on a cart, one on top of the other?  That'd be a load to haul no matter what terrain you're crossing or what cart you use.

Malone is making a strap-on cart with big fat wheels now and it looks to have enough padding to protect the bottom kayak.  https://www.amazon.com/Malone-BEACHHAULER-SOFT-TERRAIN-HEAVY-DUTY-BUNKS/dp/B06XJNZB9F/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1523209473&sr=8-17&keywords=malone+kayak+cart
They have full size wheeleez without the scupper mount. I just ordered them through REI. The kayaks were double stacked because we didn’t have enough sets of wheels. Also, it’s nice to take turns not pulling.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

They exist.  I own and use one.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

They have full size wheeleez without the scupper mount. I just ordered them through REI. The kayaks were double stacked because we didn’t have enough sets of wheels. Also, it’s nice to take turns not pulling.

They exist.  I own and use one.

Didn't know about those.  I thought the only strap-attached Wheeleez cart was their mini version.  Live and learn.  Thanks - it could be the answer for getting across my terrible beach.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

You have to pay to play.  Yes these Wheeleez are on the expensive side, but SOOOOO worth it and make hauling over soft soft sand really easy.  The bigger wheels will literally just float over the softest sand if you keep the pressure between 3-4psi. With a tank well full of fish and gear they might sink into the sand about an inch, but do a great job of spreading the weight out nicely and not just plow.

You can make yourself a waist belt that you can connect to the handle to allow you to walk hands free.  For the longer hauls I do try to balance my kayak over the wheels by putting some heavier items in the hull under the rear, and the Mirage drive fins under the catch cooler in the back letting the rest of it sit over the rudder.  The Mirage tether is then clipped forward to a tank well pad eye.  This balancing takes away a lot of the nose heaviness of the Revo, so I am just feeling the physical weight of the kayak behind me, not the down force as well.

And as for the scupper holes, I've been hauling my kayak with this cart for 8 years over rough, smooth and everything in between type of terrain.  My Revo is a 2010 model and does not have the reinforcements in the scupper holes. 

If you went with two sets of wheels, you would not have to stack kayaks.  Other kayak brands don't do well with the scupper holes, but Hobies are made for it.