Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3?  (Read 2153 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I think I asked about them at some point in time but cannot find it to save your life...

My old Trident 13 sprang a leak that can't be repaired.  The molds apparently weren't seated properly and it leaks through all the scuppers - a lot.  Like "3+ gallons per hour" a lot.

I'm being offered an Ultra 4.3 as a replacement.  It wouldn't be in the list of the top three kayaks I'd like to own, but that's just me.

I have some questions:

1. Does the elevated seating area seem to affect roll stability?
2. Has anyone heard of a "low profile cover" for the center hatch?  Read about it but can't find it through Google.
3. Where are you putting your fish finder battery and transducer since the center hatch is not through-the-hull?

See, not too bad this time.  I don't always over-think everything, Mr. INSAYN.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:59:27 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I fish almost exclusively out of my OK Trident 4.3.       

1.) I've always stability has always been fine*, decent primary stability and enough secondary stability that bracing is very effect during surf landings.   I'm not sure what you are referring to about the seating being elevated.  You can insert a Necky touring seat pad below the seat which would elevate you a couple inches.   Maybe I have an older version, but on mine, the seating area is level with the leg area.

2.) I don't know of a lower profile cover for them.  I imagine you could create something out of fiberglass if you wanted to.

3.) There is a transducer scupper in the center of the kayak.  I have a fairly large down scan transducer installed there, the cable runs up that scupper and into the center hatch.    The fish finder itself is installed onto the center hatch cover which can rotate allowing me to stow it connected in the center hatch.  As for the battery, I keep it in the center hatch in a small dry box.

I really like my Ultra.  It's a fast paddler and and handles the surf well.

Brian   

*If you want something to stand on let me point you to the wide variety of barge/kayak hybrids that companies are now pumping out.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you, Brian.  I knew you used an Ultra.

1.  If I wanted to stand up to fish I'd buy a boat. :D  Ocean Kayak highlights a slightly elevated seating area for better drainage.  I don't know how much higher it is - doesn't look like much to me - and I wondered if it makes any difference.  I like to be seated as low as possible in my kayaks - why I wanted a pre-2017 Trident to begin with - and apparently any slight rise on the 2016 Ultra isn't going to make a difference.

2. Not going to do fiberglass.  It was in one of the Texas kayaking forums where someone mentioned the "New Zealand low profile hatch cover" - apparently the Ultra's were first marketed in New Zealand and those had a different center hatch cover.  The rotating standard hatch sits higher than the gunwales - which could be a PITA when I'm unloading it from the ladder racks - but that's just supposing on my part.  No biggie.

3. I'm kind of not wild about losing access through the center hatch.  Not just for the battery box but also for access to my emergency paddle and dry bag.  Kind of a bummer, but again, no biggie.  I know it has a transducer scupper and I hope my old-style Lowrance Elite-style transducer fits it.

Those were the only three potential downsides I could come up with and I appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks, again!

Kevin

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I love my 4.3 ultra. Yes, it is the only kayak I have owned, but I love it. For lugging down to the ponds or carrying anywhere without wheels it is a little heavy. I have been on the ocean in not so great conditions, and you will get noticeably less splash than a hobie. If in a pond, or somewhere I am not wearing waders my butt gets plenty wet, so I don't feel that I have a high rise seat at all. Mine is a 2016 model. I have my FF the same way as Bsteves.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you.  OK's specification sheet says it weighs about the same as the older T-13 it's replacing, so I'm pre-prepared for the feat of getting it up on my truck racks.  (Let's not mention "trailer" or Mojo Jojo will haunt and harass me again)  :)

I should have mentioned that I'm definitely going to accept the Ultra in exchange for my yellow submarine.  Never having seen an Ultra, I had some questions about them that you and Brian have answered for me.

I appreciate it.

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
OK's specification sheet says it weighs about the same as the older T-13 it's replacing, so I'm pre-prepared for the feat of getting it up on my truck racks.

I think their spec sheet is wrong, mine was noticeably heavier than the T-13. I had one for a few weeks and really liked most everything about it. It just didn’t fit in my garage very well. Doh!!
(BTW I was going to cut out the inside center hatch so it gave access to the inside of the kayak)
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Just what I need, more work getting a kayak on its rack!  "About the same weight" wouldn't be so bad.  "Noticeably heavier"?  Rats.  It's have to be stored on the bottom rack...   :)

I saw a YouTube video where someone had cut open the center hatch to be able to reach inside the hull - I guess I'm not the only person who thinks that molded-in hatch tray might be a bummer.  I think I'd find it's just something odd until I get used to it.

Thank you!

anything