Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Yak Boots/Shoes or Whatever  (Read 84275 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Sorry, PolePole. Forgot it's rated family friendly. Please forgive my lack of discretion.

I must have missed something, so it must be all good.   ;)

-Allen

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
For all you that get cold feet, what exact stackup are you using?

I use wool socks under drysuit feet under 7mm dive booties.  My feet don't get cold.  They do get hot sometimes, but nothing that dangling them in the drink doesn't cure.  I also have 3 mm booties that I size down to as appropriate.  Or I go thinner than wool socks.  Or both.

-Alllen

I've yet to have cold feet.  I start with fleece socks likes these....

And then the neoprene booties that are attached to my waders.

For shoes, I've been using a cheap old pair of $7 Walmart water shoes.  I really need to find some better shoes for this year, I just don't trust them in deep sand, or mud.   :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
Nutters-

It was I who was in violation of my predescribed chum bucket boundries. But the combo of crocs and speedo was too much for the little discretion that I do possess. By the way, Deschutes Brewery - and I know you frequent the kayak fishin' boards - discontinuing the cinder cone red is stoopid. Just sayin'.
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
No worries AJ... I shoulda seen that one coming.

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I Picked up some fleece socks when i was in Alaska and went dog sleding they kept my feet warm. i am working on a good pattern for some fleece socks that i will have at the South South Meet Up in Feb.

I am allergic to Wool so i am having to find different non cotton or not all cotten warmth sources.

SG
"Life is short lets go fishing"

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
For all you that get cold feet, what exact stackup are you using?

I use wool socks under drysuit feet under 7mm dive booties.  My feet don't get cold.  They do get hot sometimes, but nothing that dangling them in the drink doesn't cure.  I also have 3 mm booties that I size down to as appropriate.  Or I go thinner than wool socks.  Or both.

-Alllen

I have a light pair of socks, then smart wool, then the dry suit integrated booties, then the Cross 4s.  Last time out I stuffed a couple chemical toe warmers between the two pairs of socks.  Toasty!
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
have some poly propoleyne wicking socks i wear with heavy duty wool over top my in my waders , and have gone to a set of neoprene booties over top the wader feet once when extremely cold.

warehouse/wholsesale sports has really good very thick socks geared toward waders if you're looking for another big layer.

remember, adding layers means you might have to go bigger on the shoe , too. having everything skin tight counters to the thermal effect you are looking for.

gotta get squid girl to make me a pair of fleece socks. that should cut down on the extra bulk.

just realized, someone else brought up the only draw back i found to wearing "river shoes"; if you arent careful making your selection, and you get into some muck with a lot of suction, you'll probably lose your shoes if they are a sloppy fit.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I wear regular athletic socks (1st layer) then wool socks under the dry suit.  Over the top, I wear the Northwest River Supply Cross 4 neoprene boots I picked up at Alder Creek.  I like them a lot.  I pulled the yak about 1/2 a mile while wearing these boots and they were very comfy. 

Also, I was out attempting to catch a sturgeon on the Willamette New Years weekend with my feet hanging in the water and my feet were not cold.  There was a whole lot of DAMHIK that day (don't leave your paddle home if your intent is to fish from a paddlecraft, bring an extra set of keys, don't buy your sand shrimp too far in advance, etc.....), but my feet were warm.  Also, if anyone is fishing at George Roger's Park in Lake O and stumbles across a set of Isuzu keys let me know  :'(.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Ok, I finally killed my Walmart water shoes this weekend.  My heels tore the material away from the sole, rendering them more like flip flops now.  So, I'm on the lookout for some new kicks.

The NRS Cross 4 seem to be popular here.  And I am considering them.

I'm also liking these NRS Attack Shoes with the adjustable arch strap w/buckle, heal strap and the shoe like traction on the sole. 
Anyone have any good/bad experience with this shoe?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

jself

The attack shoe is awesome. I'd say the biggest difference is the ease of putting them on & taking them off. The zip on the cross 4 makes this easy, but the boot is more likely to get sucked off in deep mud or big water. The attack probably won't come off, and is much better for hiking on rocks etc. but harder to get on and off.

Both are good, attack is beefier.

J

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I agree with "Ravdakot" on his early reply in regards to Korkers brand. I have used the same Korkers Flyfishing boot now for 6 years and love 'em. I have used these boots on the kayak as well, but the boots are a little to cumbersome for the yak. I am looking to upgrade very soon to Korkers newer sandal style shoe that also has 8 different interchangeable soles. The newer sandal style is perfect for slipping over the booty of my wetsuit, waiters and drysuit. And can even be readjusted and worn right on the bare feet. I have to say that the biggest asset to this line is the interchangeable soles. Check out the website below
Michael (jammer) from Milwaukie

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/multi-sport/swift-sandal.html

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:02:47 AM by Jammer »
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Regular old socks, then seal skin socks, then these muck boot cikana shoes, should keep the feet breathing. Scored them a few months ago at wholesale sports (on 82nd Ave.) closeout for $29.99. Good for the hike/drag to the sand. On a real warm day, I might just go with surfer booties for dangling. At that price I actually bought two pair, the ones in the pic are my dirty dog walkers.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

EOB

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
If you haven't already check out the ones in the REI outlet they have two different pair Warmers I think they are called they look pretty solid.  That said I have cross 4's and they are pretty comfy.  Ling Banger might be on to something though I have a pair of Muck knee boots and they are comfy as running shoes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:22:12 PM by EObasser »

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
basic surfer booties work well for me. I do a bit of scrambling on the rocks to get to and from fishing holes, and they have held up well for the abuse given them. under $20.00
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Ended up finding some neoprene wading boots at the Tillamook Sporting Goods store.  Not my first choice in shopping due to some pricing, but these were reasonable at $37.   The Hodgman Neoprene Waders are very similar to the NRS Cross 4's.  Main differences are where the zippers are located, and that the Hodgman has alot more sole that wraps higher up on the boot.  Although the NRS Cross 4's have a strap over the foot, I think the extra rubber around the foot on the Hodgman's eliminates the need for the strap, as they feel very secure, and comfortable while walking, and kayaking.  Wore them clamming, and fishing during Spring Break, normal spring ocean/bay water temps = warm dry feet.  Spent all day at Hagg Lake this Saturday, and never had cold feet even with air temps in the low 30's, water temps in the mid 40's, and quite breezy.