Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Homer Report and Opportunities  (Read 2600 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Was on the phone this evening yakking with Captain Shane. Feeder kings off the end of the Spit are finally showing some improvements and with the mild temperatures and tolerable seas during this next week it should provide some decent kayak fishing opportunities....with some conditions.

The recent single digit chill Homer had while further up the Peninsula we had sub-zero temps has created a lot of slush ice in Mud Bay and along the shoreline. This will prove to be very frustrating on the outgoing tides for those fishing off the end of the Spit who will have to deal with the ice flowing around the point. Not a very good scenario for trolling a line with or without a downrigger. Shane suggests planning your fishing after the low tide change and fish the incoming when you will have clear ice-free conditions.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

leith010

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I was hoping to try it this weekend, but the weather doesn’t look encouraging ...

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks for the update KK!

From what I can tell, the sand lance spawning seemed way late from the little bit of info I have gotten.  Work and family issues combined with this crazy weather has kept me off the water way too much this year. 

Now its forecasting rain for Cooper Landing Saturday and Sunday.  Ugh.  Don't like driving in winter rain weather. 

Was considering breaking out the ice auger but now I hear 5 to 10 inches of snow in the valley tomorrow?

I really like that offer by Driftwood Charter and Captain Shane.  Go feeder king fishing plus gets some tanner crab???  all for under $200 per person if you can round up 6?  Man that sounds like a plan  even for someone like me who never considers a guided trip. 

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Thanks for the update KK!

From what I can tell, the sand lance spawning seemed way late from the little bit of info I have gotten.  Work and family issues combined with this crazy weather has kept me off the water way too much this year. 

Now its forecasting rain for Cooper Landing Saturday and Sunday.  Ugh.  Don't like driving in winter rain weather. 

Was considering breaking out the ice auger but now I hear 5 to 10 inches of snow in the valley tomorrow?

I really like that offer by Driftwood Charter and Captain Shane.  Go feeder king fishing plus gets some tanner crab???  all for under $200 per person if you can round up 6?  Man that sounds like a plan  even for someone like me who never considers a guided trip.
Scheduled with Shane on the 16th! I rarely take charters also, but when I do....it’s always with Shane[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I’m scheduled with Shane on the 16th. I also don’t usually use charters, but when I do....it’s ALWAYS Shane![emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishapalooza

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Shane is the best! I got hooked on trolling for kings aboard the FV Misty!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Thanks Rudy for your insight on the baitfish spawn. I wonder if the delay may be due to the water temperature.  A spawning delay is going to have an impact on where the kings are (or are not) for sure. I got an invite from Shane on Friday to go out on a scouting/crabbing/filming trip with some friends of his to try and locate the fish and get some "advertising" footage of the crab phase of his trips. The kings earlier this week remain stacked up inside the bay (east of Spit) and appear reluctant to leave the upper end of the bay. Perhaps they are instinctively aware of the scarcity of a food source in the outer bay at this time. This might be a fish barometer on when the sandlance spawn begins if the fish go on the move again and start showing in good numbers around the Spit.

On the way past the Spit just before dawn there were already two kayakers out there, one paddler and one Hobie. Sorry for the fuzzy pics, was doing 20 knots with telephoto and lumpy seas! HA. Don't have any ID's on these diehards. Chime in if you want.

Paddle yaker on far left of pic closer to beach.

We pulled the pot before heading to Seldovia where the consensus from the charter fleet decided to go hoping some fish were arriving in that location. The pot had soaked over night. We had 400 tanners in the pot. Mostly mature females and some undersize males but we put a dozen and a half legals in the box before fishing.

Fished all day with the other 6 boats in the fleet. We were fishing six lines for the first round in the morning; 4 downriggers and two flat lines. No one was reporting ANY SALMON. Long story short - we never had one king hook up all day. The rest of the fleet had similar success. Two greenlings, two rockfish, two throwback lingcod, and four decent halibut from six to 20 pounds.

Back to pull the pot under the rising full moon and headlamps before heading back. This pull was after 5 hours soak had roughly 300+ tanners in it. A better ratio of keepers in the mix so we tapped out six anglers and two proxies with 24 crab.

5 Hour Soak while fishing.

I never saw a single school of baitfish on the finder all day. Just fish marks.

All the RAIN forecast for the next week in HOMER should melt and flush out much of the Mud Bay ice slush and make kayak fishing at all tides about like summer conditions again. WATER TEMPERATURE was 42.7°F in the bay Friday.

The area is still turning up small halibut on the troll so anglers dragging bait off the Spit could end up with a bonus there. We were dragging 20 to 50 feet off the bottom and catching those bucket halibut Friday.

Shane and Jim donated their limit of crab to me for a Christmas present so that is the extra crab in my cooked pic. Out of all the dungeness, snow/tanner, and king crab I've eaten since I was 5 years old I can honestly say I've NEVER eaten such fine tasting crab as these we got the other day. I decided not to freeze any of them as I'm going to eat the entire batch in short order! And to prove how tasty these are....I've not melted ANY butter and have already eaten 4 crab. Their flavor is so good that butter would only be an insult to these crab. SERIOUSLY!
BTW, we were fishing the pot in waters just short of the 500 foot line.  Not really a kayak crabbing fishery although I was given a special Tanner crab pot that would be perfect for kayak crabbing if I was up to handlining 600 feet of line. Made with PVC for the framing.

We definitely need to watch out on future BOF shellfish meetings to see if there is any opportunity to initiate a Dungeness crab fishery on the same conditions as this new tanner fishery. Dungies are well within the range of kayak anglers.  I'm checking out the possibilities with ADFG to get something going.

KATINALASKA - I had to add those crab pics just for you. That ought to make your mouth water in anticipation of your trip!  ;D  Good Luck.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~