Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: crabhawk!  (Read 23318 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
No disrespect to Mr. Crabhawk........

Some of the Danielson ones may very well be inferior, but I purchased mine (3 for me and 2 for my dad) on a whim at BiMart as they were readily available.
If the original ones were there, I would have purchased those instead. 

Now back to inferiority, I have use mine many times in several ways (tied off to a dock and tossed, rod and reel, and dropped over board with two small floats to retrieve like the bigger crab rings) and other than needing some extra weight added in bay/river current they perform just fine for me.

I feel stupid now! 
Wandering through Bi-Mart the other day, I just happed to walk past the crabbing isle and noticed the folding crab traps that I had purchased there in the past were in fact the real deal. 
"Crab Hawks", and not the Danielson knockoffs.  I remember the label being yellow, but never paid much attention to the actual brand name.
Oh, and I just saw the Danielson brand at Dick's and they clearly have a different label than the Crab Hawk do.

So....

I can say that the real Crab Hawks are quality, as I haven't had an issue with any of mine. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
No disrespect to Mr. Crabhawk........

Some of the Danielson ones may very well be inferior, but I purchased mine (3 for me and 2 for my dad) on a whim at BiMart as they were readily available.
If the original ones were there, I would have purchased those instead. 

Now back to inferiority, I have use mine many times in several ways (tied off to a dock and tossed, rod and reel, and dropped over board with two small floats to retrieve like the bigger crab rings) and other than needing some extra weight added in bay/river current they perform just fine for me.

I feel stupid now! 
Wandering through Bi-Mart the other day, I just happed to walk past the crabbing isle and noticed the folding crab traps that I had purchased there in the past were in fact the real deal. 
"Crab Hawks", and not the Danielson knockoffs.  I remember the label being yellow, but never paid much attention to the actual brand name.
Oh, and I just saw the Danielson brand at Dick's and they clearly have a different label than the Crab Hawk do.

So....

I can say that the real Crab Hawks are quality, as I haven't had an issue with any of mine.

So, you caught and ate a little "crow" with your crab trap. ;D That may be another Insayn first.  Personally Bro, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The only reason I even knew about the original was because of the NWKA forum and this very thread. Because of my new found interest in crabbing, it was of personal interest to me. Also, because I'm possessed by a nasty case of OCD, I researched the shiz out of it, including talking to and ordering from Steve, aka Mr Crabhawk. Talking to him was when I was told about the Danielson deal gone bad and their "inferior product".

I have never seen anything but the Danielson knock off (they call it the "Crabjaw") in stores, on this side of the Columbia or your side, and had to order mine direct.  I thought about buying one of those too, just so I could do a side by side comparison. I'm planning to take the Crabhawk with me Monday, on our crabbing excursion to do so some field testing. I think I've watched every Youtube video there is (ten hours I should have been fishing) and while some are pretty gay (no offense to those flying rainbow stickers on their kayaks), a few were pretty informative.
Retired Army - 67N/67V/67R/15R

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I don't know if I was really eating crow, as I didn't pay much attention to the fact there was a difference in products.  I just know I didn't have issues with what I was using.  Story may be different if I had the Danielson brand. 

Have fun with your crabbing, they work great from a kayak even with floats attached and left to soak for 5-10 mins each.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

• Date Registered: Aug 2012
Am bumping this old thread up and hopefully not beating any dead horses in the process (hmm...how many crabs would a dead horse attract?...)
I bought a (realdealmadeinoregonusanotadanielsonchinaknockoff) Crabhawk today and am looking forward to trying it out hopefully soon. I'd like to use it while also fishing since I can't get out much and time is precious. How well does it work while slowly drifting around in a bay? Do you need to be fairly stationary or can your kayak be moving somewhat? Thanks for any feedback.
To capture the fish is not all of the fishing. Yet there are circumstances which make this philosophy hard to accept.
–Zane Grey

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Keep it still. Crabs follow the scent trail back to your bait. Moving it around is not good. Crabs eat dead things, dead things tend to be fairly stationary.

CrabHawk appreciates your timely bump.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
You're better off attaching it to a small float and checking it every so often.

bilchuck5

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I have had a lot of luck using the crab Hawk. My buddy and I have actually built our own and made them a bit bigger then the ones you can buy. This style of trap is not  ment to be left alone. You can see when you have a crab in it eating your bait. It will tug your line like a very light fish bite. The most I've had in mine at one time us four. It's a good way to go crabbing for us a.d.d. fishermen who can't wait to check their pots, or for when you don't want to load up your yak.

Pine Cone

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
So I bit the bullet and ordered one yesterday.  Looks like a nice addition to using a regular trap.  Not the best weather to test it, but with luck there will be some calmish days above 40 degrees before the season ends at the end of the year

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
So I bit the bullet and ordered one yesterday.  Looks like a nice addition to using a regular trap.  Not the best weather to test it, but with luck there will be some calmish days above 40 degrees before the season ends at the end of the year
Add a piece of lead bar in the middle of the CrabHawk, drill a hole in each end of the lead and secure with zip ties. You can find them in the hunting section they are used for duck decoys.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Dino?
You talking about Decoy weights?
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Dino?
You talking about Decoy weights?
Yup...you just need to drill an extra hole and zip tie both ends.

Pine Cone

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Thanks for the tip on adding the decoy weight.

So are most of you crabbing with the Crab Hawk using a fishing pole setup or just a piece of thin rope?  If you are using a pole, what sort of setup are you using?

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks for the tip on adding the decoy weight.

So are most of you crabbing with the Crab Hawk using a fishing pole setup or just a piece of thin rope?  If you are using a pole, what sort of setup are you using?
Gotta thank Sensei Insayn the Master of Inginuity..:)

bilchuck5

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I'm using it with an ugly stick cheap reel and 40# braid. Works great for me. Short casts are easily made, longest are 60-75 ft. just depends on where you are at. btw thanks for the lead idea I'm going to give that a try

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I attached line and a small float (in case all of the line drops into the water).
Where I crab is 10-15' deep so 25' of line is enough.

Disclaimer: I know it's not a Crabhawk but the Danielson knock off. When I replace it I'll buy Crabhawk.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:43:46 AM by indyflyer »