Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:49:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Fish and Parasites  (Read 20590 times)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Dang FURBAGS! AKA "seal worms"!

I'm not trying to defend the seals or sea lions by any means, but it is also known as the cod worm.  The beauty (if you can call it that) about parasitology is the circular nature of the life cycle.  Fish has worms, seal eats it, worm lives and matures in seal's gut and uses seal host to produce many offspring which are shed out the back door of the seal to find their new fishy host. Worm babies end up in fish, juvenile worms migrate into the flesh to await ingestion by seal. Repeat as necessary.  It is very common for parasites to require more than one host in its life cycle. Apparently, you can be a substitute for the seal.

I had a zoology professor in college that had a few too many beers with an under cooked walleye. Several months later, he dropped a rather long tapeworm in the toilet.  Being the scientist he was, he collected it and preserved it for all to see. :P

craig

• Sturgeon
I felt I was missing something in the 'how do they get in the fish' part.  Spontaneous generation was disproved over 100 years ago, so I had to look it up.  It seems that crustaceans were the missing step.  They eat the larvae released by the mammal, and the fish eat the crustaceans. So in this case, there are 3 hosts.

Ever been to a chicken slaughter house? I had to collect samples from slaughterhouses for a research project in graduate school.  There is a reason there are chicken patties and nuggets.  Hard to sell a hole (pun intended) bird that has had parts removed due to cysts.

Yummy!

-Craig

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Being the scientist he was, he collected it and preserved it for all to see. :P

:puke:

Woah... Didn't need to know that.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Beef..It's what's for dinner..especially after this thread!

Makes me glad I've been a well done kinda person my whole life.
See ya on the water..
Roy

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
We only eat free-run non-caged chickens from Kurt Timmermeister's farm on Vashon....and never eat chicken away from home. for red meat  we eat bison from a friend's ranch in Ellenburg, quit eating beef after seeing the horrid conditions in feedlots.  "Downer cows"?  No way!  Downside of the quality chicken is the cost.   Our bison costs 5.50 lb, see Swauk Prairie bison (and that includes steaks and roasts)  We buy 1/2 a bison in the fall and divvy it with a couple other families, lasts all year, as we eat mostly salmon in the summer and fall.
   I used to eat sushi, but got a tapeworm 8 years ago, it was a nasty experience I won't relate here.... :puke:

http://www.spbison.com/

Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
And bison tastes a LOT better than beef imo.  I'm not able to buy bulk though, and the price has gone from 5.99 to 7.99 at Fred Meyer in the past couple months.

cjb

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
we eat bison from a friend's ranch in Ellenburg, quit eating beef after seeing the horrid conditions in feedlots.  "Downer cows"?  No way!  Downside of the quality chicken is the cost.   

I wish that quality, smaller scale production chicken wasn't so damn expensive--it's really the last large scale commercial meat I've been buying regularly.  Back when I was growing up I remember my family would all get together and buy a lot of whole chickens from a Mennonite colony and they remain the best chickens I've ever had.

Growing up with a lot of farmers in the family made it pretty natural for me to get a big freezer and buy meat in bulk, but finding a satisfying source of beef has been difficult, since I want affordable grass fed and don't care about organic certification and whatnot.  Going from corn fed to grass fed has also been a bit challenging, since I find there's a distinct difference in the taste of the fat (one quarter I purchased I could barely stomach--that was a long year), but it's better for the animal and healthier to eat.

I'm curious if you bison eaters have done a side by side comparison of grass fed beef with bison.  I've heard that they're pretty similar nutritionally and that a lot of the large scale commercial bison ends up getting corn fed so it isn't as healthy as it ought to be.
-Craig

'12 Red Hobie Revo 11
"Red Rocket"

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
The Bison I buy always says it's open range and not fed corn or given injections of anything.  I know that the source KT is talking about is, or was open range last time I researched them.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I know its a bigger commitment and not for everyone but I hunt all the meat we eat. I personally feel it may be the most humane/sustainable way to source meat.   A Deer and an Elk a year gives us more than enough free range, organic meat/sausage/burger for both my wife and I and my parents etc.  I just made a batch of elk sausage last week and if I only count the ingredients spices/casings/high quality pork raised by a friend, it came out to $1.12 a pound.  Not bad, and its guaranteed to be free of lips and assholes

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I worked for Whole Foods for 3 years and yes they are higher priced on a lot of things but ALL of the meat is cage free hormone free and antibiotic free. On top of that all the fresh ground meat in the case is ground in house from quality cuts. No lips and assholes and no contamination. All of the sausage in the case is made in house in natural casings. Definitely worth the extra money.
Not all of us can hunt our food but we can all take the extra time to find our where our food is coming from.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
I know its a bigger commitment and not for everyone but I hunt all the meat we eat.

I plan to start doing that this year.  Ravdakot got me into bowhunting back in November/December and we'll likely be starting with turkey in April.  (well I'll be 'starting', he's been bow hunting for a long time)

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
oooooohhh---me too me too for turkey!!!   Last 3 deer I've killed have been with the recurve or longbow, with homemade cedar arrows.  Have'nt hunted since we started buying bison, but wild turkey-----yum!!!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Fishman James

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
I don't think its technicaly a parasite, but when I did an internship with the forest service we would routinely catch lampreys in the screw traps. I've always wondered how often they are encountered attached to your catch??? 
Whenever you start thinking what other people think, you stop thinking.

craig

• Sturgeon
I know its a bigger commitment and not for everyone but I hunt all the meat we eat. I personally feel it may be the most humane/sustainable way to source meat.   A Deer and an Elk a year gives us more than enough free range, organic meat/sausage/burger for both my wife and I and my parents etc.  I just made a batch of elk sausage last week and if I only count the ingredients spices/casings/high quality pork raised by a friend, it came out to $1.12 a pound.  Not bad, and its guaranteed to be free of lips and assholes

Mmmmmmm! Homeade sausage!  I love making sausage.  The best weiner's I have had I made myself.  When they are made the real way, rather than the massed produced way, they are a million times better. I used to work in a small meat packing plant when I was in High School through my freshman year in college.  I loved making sausage.  The best I have had is Alligator sausage my wife's grandfather made.  He was from Louisiana.  The Nutria sausage we got from him was not quite as good. 

I like hunting my own food as well.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to the last few years.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
The Bison I buy always says it's open range and not fed corn or given injections of anything.  I know that the source KT is talking about is, or was open range last time I researched them.

Out past where Rav lives, on Rich Road, [ used to live in the Vineyards til it went condo] is Johnsons Smokehouse. They specialize, or did 5 years ago, in wild game, and alternative meats like the Bison you talk about. Might be a good place to look.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....