Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:42:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Anchor Trolley Pulley "location" question  (Read 2546 times)

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Hi All,

My YakAttack anchor trolley kit has finally arrived and the Ling season is now closed... naturally!

I pulled up a video where they show how to install the trolley system.  Looks like a pretty straight forward installation.  I then did a search for installing the YakAttack trolley on a Hobie just in case there were any little insightful tips...  I didn't find any Hobie/YakAttack videos?  What I did find were 2 different installations (manufacturer dependant) that has left me with a question that I cannot find an answer too.  I figured it would be better to ask now and possibly sound like an idiot vs. popping a few holes into my boat incorrectly and definitely looking like an idiot!

YakAttack's install video (using a Jackson kayak & YakAttack trolley) has the cheek blocks (pulley) mounted as close to the stern and bow as possible.  Hobie install videos (using a Hobie kayak & Hobie trolley) have the cheek blocks (virtually the same as those used by YakAttak) mounted inward 12" from the stern and the bow.  Why would there be a (recommended) difference in the cheek block mounting locations between manufacturers?

Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
sorry i can`t help but am curious u anchor for lings?

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Your kayak will stream out straight behind your anchor line better if the bow pulley is mounted as close to the bow as possible, and the stern pulley is mounted as close to the stern as possible.  The further back from the bow and stern the pulleys are mounted, the more your kayak will tend to hang at an angle to your anchor line. 

On some kayaks or with some anchor trolley systems, the trolley line may run between the pulleys and a zig-zag cleat or other attachment point better if the pulleys are located somewhat back from the bow and stern.  However, the YakAttack anchor trolley system has a "padhook" which keeps the trolley line outside the gunwale next to your seat, so you should be able to mount the pulleys close to the bow and stern.  On Hobie kayaks, you may need to mount the rear pulley a bit in front of the stern in order to avoid interfering with the "Twist-N-Stow" rudder system.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:23:59 PM by pmmpete »

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
sorry i can`t help but am curious u anchor for lings?

Plan is to use a Drift Sock.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
Thanks pmmpete.  Closer to the bow and stern make the most sense.  I just found it really odd that Hobie recommends the 12".
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
The kayak is now out from under the travel trailer...  Today was the day I finally mounted the anchor trolley and placed the storage container I bought for $20 off a local classified website (container already had the rod holder installed).

I wasn't sure if the container would fit or not.  It needs a bit of a shove but it does fit!
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
+1. Looks great. Might suggest longer posts on the wheels lol. Interested in how the sock works. Personally, I’d be pretty cautious to make sure I can see what’s coming in the salt. Have had to many sneaker waves to trust. After watching the huge waves on the OR coast this weekend, the differences between the ocean and Puget Sound or Vancouver are pretty interesting. Having not used one, that would be my first thought. Take as much care as you can to make sure you see what’s coming, from all sides.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:36:42 AM by Trident 13 »

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
I'll take the longer posts idea into consideration... lol

I'm also really curious as to how well the drift sock is going to work out.  I will post my experience after I give it a go.  Upside, I do have a drysuit now... lol
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)

anything