Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:42:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 17, 2024, 09:12:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[April 17, 2024, 03:57:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: New Years Day Catch?  (Read 3051 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Happy New Year everyone!

Who started the year fishing? 

I'll start- 24" lingcod, 2 blacks, and a limit of jumbo crab.

I just know some big fish were caught....
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Fishing was great in PC today, already had my crabs from yesterday.  Grabbed my lings and some bass by 9:00 AM today.  Only took a pic of the larger one.  Great start to a New Year. Zach D. and Yippiekayak were also at the beach early today.  How'd you do?

“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Hit Sunset bay this morning didn't need to go far. Trying some new marine worm fly patterns out and wasn't disappointed. Right off 7 greenlings kept one 14 1/2" move around a bit and landed 12 underlings 16"-18". Found a nice spot up against the cliffs (out of the swell and current) and nailed a bunch of blacks. Caught them till I needed to go home and them kept 4 of them(12"- 18"). Might go and try it tomorrow and see if I can find some legal lings this time.
Scott

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Good seeing you today Onefish. We did well.  I didn't get any pics of Zach's catch but we both got double lings and some black rock fish.  Easy launch, expensive landing.  I forgot I had my GoPro on my hat and it came off when I rolled.  New PB ling for me.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Good seeing you today Onefish. We did well.  I didn't get any pics of Zach's catch but we both got double lings and some black rock fish.  Easy launch, expensive landing.  I forgot I had my GoPro on my hat and it came off when I rolled.  New PB ling for me.

The heck with the lingcod, tell us about the roll over!   :banjo:

(Nice lings)

I'll start- 24" lingcod, 2 blacks, and a limit of jumbo crab.

Great looking crabs, roger.  Ha, ha!  roger has crabs!   :laugh:

Hit Sunset bay this morning didn't need to go far. Trying some new marine worm fly patterns out and wasn't disappointed. Right off 7 greenlings kept one 14 1/2" move around a bit and landed 12 underlings 16"-18". Found a nice spot up against the cliffs (out of the swell and current) and nailed a bunch of blacks. Caught them till I needed to go home and them kept 4 of them(12"- 18"). Might go and try it tomorrow and see if I can find some legal lings this time.

Nice looking greenling, there, Scott.  Sounds like a fun day of C&R.  Wish I'd been there.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:05:14 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Clayman

• Salmon
I still need to buy my license for 2018...such a slacker.

But, I did fish New Years Eve for a few hours and picked up my first two steelhead of the season.  Went 2 for 3 on some fresh winter-runs.
aMayesing Bros.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Great looking fish.  Congrats on finding two.  The second one inhaled your spinner.  Do you have trouble with line twist fishing a duo lock?

guthrip

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015

Clayman

• Salmon
Great looking fish.  Congrats on finding two.  The second one inhaled your spinner.  Do you have trouble with line twist fishing a duo lock?
Thanks, it was a nice change to catch such fresh-looking fish after wading through moldy salmon the previous few weeks.  I have a ball-bearing swivel tied to my main line, then a 2 foot leader of fluoro to the duo lock.  I used to never use swivels or snaps that connected directly to the lure, but I'm coming around to the snaps as they don't appear to add as much "bulk" to the lure as a snap swivel.

That fish with the spinner in his mouth was a hoot.  I saw him come out from under a log jam and just inhale the spinner.  Then it was a crazy battle in a small pool littered with logs and snags.  I was honestly surprised to land him.
aMayesing Bros.

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Little Cos and I went out on Saturday and Sunday for a little practice catch and release sturgeon.  Both days were non-stop slay rides, but Sunday all of the fish were keeper size or larger.  On Sunday, we brought a friend and his son, who only have caught trout from the kayak prior to Sunday.  We all got into some great fish. We debated on heading out to the Gorge yesterday, but it looked very cold and windy.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
PC was fun. I tied my PB with a 32 inch ling.  My second was just short of 31 inches. Weather was great as well.

Unfortunately i learned a few lessons in the surf.  I ended up losing 2 rods and reels.  Including my cutom built rod i just finished.  I had that one leashed but it broke.  The rest was unleashed  Also lost all my salt tackle. 

All in all i learned a lot but still had a ton of fun!  Cant wait to go back. 

Zach
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Clayman

• Salmon
Cosmo, those sturgeon are fantastic!  I need to go up there and tie into a couple of those.

PC was fun. I tied my PB with a 32 inch ling.  My second was just short of 31 inches. Weather was great as well.

Unfortunately i learned a few lessons in the surf.  I ended up losing 2 rods and reels.  Including my cutom built rod i just finished.  I had that one leashed but it broke.  The rest was unleashed  Also lost all my salt tackle. 

Zach
Bummer man, but way to keep up the spirits.  Those hard lessons are the ones that really stick.  Did you salvage the lings?
aMayesing Bros.

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Cosmo, those sturgeon are fantastic!  I need to go up there and tie into a couple of those.

Zach
Bummer man, but way to keep up the spirits.  Those hard lessons are the ones that really stick.  Did you salvage the lings?

Thanks Clayman.  Those fish were awesome. Average fight was 12-15 mins to the boat.  Arms hurt the next day from all of the fighting.

Zach,

Totally sucks to lose gear, especially the stuff you built and really like.  Get some tackle storage boxes and dry bags small enough to fit into your hatch for surf entry and exits so nothing falls out in a roll over.

Also you may want to strap your rods horizontally along the right side of your hobie, pointing tips towad the back, this way, in a roll over, you won't snap them.  Happy to show you how I did it with a couple of nylon pad eyes and one handed tie down straps.  Rods are completely out of the way, in case of an involuntary bail out.

Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Clayman,

I did manage to keep the lings.  They were strapped in to my fish holder and the holder stayed closed (which was a good surprise).  I was happy with the fish!  I was hoping to venture out farther after reading Lauren's article featuring you about the Flatfish.  Still eager to learn your ways!

Cosmo,

I will definitely take you up on the offer to review your gear.  We will have to plan a future PC trip.  It has been too long since we last fished together.  It was great seeing you at the Next Adventure talk.

In my old kayak i could stow all the gear in the kayak.  With the hobie i have trouble getting things through the small center hatch and dont have the funds to upgrade to a larger hatch.  Will need to do some work to think of a god alternative.  I am thinking maybe Velcro tie down straps

As for my gear i will definitely take less on the water going forward and store them in dry bags.  For the rod, lesson learned.  Now i will have to save up to build a new one. It takes me a long time to build one but i enjoy it as a side hobby when hanging with my two year old.  She loves to watch.  Probably wont do such a decorative wrap as that took the longest time to complete the fish scale wrap. 

I have been going to PC for a while now and think of it as my favorite place to fish.  It was a good wake up call to take a look at how i store my gear and the gear i take out on the water. but i am itching to get back out there and always have an eye on the forecast.  I may forego PC for Depoe if the surf is 5.5 like it was at PC. 

I stopped by the Hobie dealership on the way out of town to pick up a few rudder pins as mine broke on the landing.  The guy told me i should jump off and hold onto the back as a wave comes and act as an achor to your boat and ride it in.  I have talked to several members on the forum that do this and will do this next time!

We shared the larger fish with 12 family members for our weekly Sunday night dinners at my inlaws.  My family is happy that the ocean is back open as they like having fish fries.

So grateful to have the awesome resource just a quick drive from home and great people to share it with.  It was a lot of fun fishing with Jeff all day as well.  Hope to fish with you both soon

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:15:31 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Not intending a hijack here, but Hobies have molded supports for the paddle when it's strapped to the side.  Laying a rod across those plus using the paddle-holder bungee make a really stable platform when you carry rods on the side of the boat.  A second bungee or strap would be a good idea, especially if you're prone to huli, but a rod locks in pretty snugly as is.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything