Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:54:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Lingcod 2018  (Read 3679 times)

Chromer

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
After seeing a recent halibut thread, I’m itching to go fishing in the salt of course I don’t have the experience so that brings me to lingcod. I figured Edmonds would probably be a good place to start.  Any advise?  Anyone planning to go out?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

13igF1sh206

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Hey man, Im new to the salt game also. Been mostly yak fishing in fresh water. Been itching to go out after some lings/rock fish myself. You should try and put a meet together. Safety in numbers. I would be interested in meeting up as long as its on the weekend, preferably Sunday. I live near Seattle.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=19333.msg206485#msg206485

Might offer some tips. Good area to pay attention to the ferries and dive park just north of the ferries.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Definitely pay attention to ferries (Law of Tonnage!!!), but also pay attention to the boundaries of the underwater Dive Park and watch out for "diver down" bouys and marker flags...  There have been far too many tales from the local dive clubs about boats trolling right thru the park (illegal as hell and of course dangerous to divers).  Hate to think of Yak'ers being part of that particular problem.
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

• Date Registered: Oct 2017
No tips as this will be my first go at it but I will meet yall out there in Edmonds.  The water drops off real quick from the marina wall and I imagine should hold some good habitat away from the dive park.

justinjw

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Would love to join you all out there as well!!
Hobie Oasis

Paddle Ninja

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Please be sure to check over your regs really well guys before heading out. In Puget sound Lingcod has a very limited season and slot size. You're also not even allowed to target rockfish in most areas of the sound including where you're looking to go out.
Otherwise best of luck and make sure you're good to go with the weather.
They might sound ill advised, but when I tell folks of my exploits, it's rare I don't find them smiling

• Date Registered: Oct 2017
Yup, inside the sound its generally May 1-June 15, with the slot being 26" - 36".  Limit 1 fish a day.  Remember to stay above 120 ft. 

KillFish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Don't forget your decending device which is now mandatory to have onboard. I have found Shelton's fish decender to work well and easy to use. I have even made them from old spreader bars.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:20:34 PM by KillFish »

Chromer

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
Would a net be overkill?  I figured I might be able to get away with a pair of lip grippers.

KillFish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Lip grippers is all I have used, leave the net at home. Just beware lingcod like to spin.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Would a net be overkill?  I figured I might be able to get away with a pair of lip grippers.

Nets do come in handy when landing a "hitch hiker".  Sometimes, lings will hang on for dear life, all the way to the surface but let go once they get to the top. 

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012

I use a net.   Too many things seem to happen to me once the fish gets to the boat, resulting in lost fish.  For me its easier to measure the ling and not get gnashed by the teeth with the net. 
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

I use a net.   Too many things seem to happen to me once the fish gets to the boat, resulting in lost fish.  For me its easier to measure the ling and not get gnashed by the teeth with the net.

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

Nets do come in handy when landing a "hitch hiker".  Sometimes, lings will hang on for dear life, all the way to the surface but let go once they get to the top. 

-Mark-

A nice sharp gaff will grab hold of a hitchhiker just fine and doesn't grab any wind in OR. In WA you may want to bring a net.

Also, unless you are having a miserable day you are looking for the lings you don't need to measure. I have seen plenty of greenies bleed out a couple of 23" fish then cry crocodile tears when they proceed to catch much nicer ones that have to go back a short while later.

I try not to kill a ling if it isn't at least 27“ as there just isn't enough yield.

Conversely I won't take any cabs that go much bigger than 25" if I take them at all. The big cabs are what makes all the small ones. The exception to that rule is ORC of course, but even then I would feel bad. The last big cab I kept years ago was chock full of worms and I felt like a douche for killing it. Definitely wasn't worth the few bucks I took off the homies in the mbf pot.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:45:28 AM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy