Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: New to kayak fishing!  (Read 2441 times)

HiLife

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
What’s up Everyone, names Noel. I’m originally from Hawaii, lived in Nevada before moving to WA. I’ve mostly done salt water fishing growing up on shore and fished for salmon in the rivers when I moved here. I don’t have kayak as of yet but know that I want a hobie. I’ve looked at the revolution 13 and the outback so I’m doing my research between the two. I signed up here so that I could learn from the season veterans and possible fish with you folks soon.

Noel

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Welcome to the forum HiLife. There's a few of us from Hawaii on here. Watch for open invites and events as Summer kicks off.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
HiLife, Great group.  There's getting to be a few more in the south sound area.  I've talked about a meetup a few times and had some nibbles but no bites.  Maybe we can give it a shot again and try a meeting around the north sumner area.  There's a nice brewhouse called Half-Lion and they said we could bring a yak in the back area and talk about rigging, etc.  There's another new member in Des Moines, I'll check with him as well.
Trident 13
Kent WA

HiLife

• Krill
Thanks Jed, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on invites.

HiLife

• Krill
HiLife, Great group.  There's getting to be a few more in the south sound area.  I've talked about a meetup a few times and had some nibbles but no bites.  Maybe we can give it a shot again and try a meeting around the north sumner area.  There's a nice brewhouse called Half-Lion and they said we could bring a yak in the back area and talk about rigging, etc.  There's another new member in Des Moines, I'll check with him as well.
Trident 13
Kent WA

Ive been lurking the forums for about a week or so and have seen youre post on having a south sound meet. Count me in, Im always down to learn all the different setups that kayak fishing has to offer.

Paddle Ninja

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Welcome Noel!  I'm in the south sound as well between Graham and Spanaway so pretty close to you. Keep on the lookout here as well as all the other classified sites and you'll come across a deal eventually.
I tried both a Revo 13 and an outback at the same time and each has its own benefits and drawbacks. Nothing is better than demoing them side by side on the water though because what works well for one angler may not be the same for others. Have you fished from a kayak in the past for any length of time?
They might sound ill advised, but when I tell folks of my exploits, it's rare I don't find them smiling

Trident 13

• Salmon
I'm not an offer up user but a friend asked me about this yesterday.  It's a Hobie outback 2017 (looks to have the new seat and reverse) and it looks in very good shape with a fish finder I'm not familiar with, but looks nice in an online search. 

Again, I know nothing other than what's in the link and have no involvement. 
He's asking $2300 for all.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/461404617/?ref=Search
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:25:40 AM by Trident 13 »

HiLife

• Krill
I'm not an offer up user but a friend asked me about this yesterday.  It's a Hobie outback 2017 (looks to have the new seat and reverse) and it looks in very good shape with a fish finder I'm not familiar with, but looks nice in an online search. 

Again, I know nothing other than what's in the link and have no involvement. 
He's asking $2300 for all.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/461404617/?ref=Search

I have contacted the seller. It’s posted in the classified section by Mzs6, I wanted to pickup up this Saturday as that’s the only day I would be able too. But he is going out to the coast to do some camping and clamming. If it doesn’t sell by then I will most likely get it on Monday.

HiLife

• Krill
Welcome Noel!  I'm in the south sound as well between Graham and Spanaway so pretty close to you. Keep on the lookout here as well as all the other classified sites and you'll come across a deal eventually.
I tried both a Revo 13 and an outback at the same time and each has its own benefits and drawbacks. Nothing is better than demoing them side by side on the water though because what works well for one angler may not be the same for others. Have you fished from a kayak in the past for any length of time?

Thanks! Im near graham right behind the lipoma firs golf course. Hopefully I will be purchasing a outback next week, I like the space it offers. I have fished off a kayak a few times for trout nothing to serious.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Good luck, if it's as advertised it seems like a good deal on a great platform.  Maybe we can have a GTG at Nisqually with some of the new members and do some testing.  Always best to dunk it in some fresh water first in a nice controlled environment...

HiLife

• Krill
That would be great! I need to start looking for some dry suits.

Paddle Ninja

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015

Thanks! Im near graham right behind the lipoma firs golf course. Hopefully I will be purchasing a outback next week, I like the space it offers. I have fished off a kayak a few times for trout nothing to serious.
That outback sounds like a deal for sure especially if it's already been somewhat rigged. The outback doesn't paddle as well and the slight weight difference to me was noticeable between the two when lifting overhead to load HOWEVER going from a PA14 to a Revo I will say I miss being able to stand so that outback will have that going for it! Drove past Lipoma today actually, I'm just about 10 mins SW of there so almost neighbors! 😅 I get long weekends but I rarely have Saturday and Sundays off. We'll have to get out sometime once you're geared up. If anyone sets up a south sound meet up I'll try to make it.
They might sound ill advised, but when I tell folks of my exploits, it's rare I don't find them smiling

HiLife

• Krill
Just got my outback, I’m waiting for my pfd and vhf radio to get here then I’m set. I’ll be in Hawaii next week after that I’m going to be hitting the water every weekend.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Nice job, glad it worked out. 

My Hobie should be in soon and I'll want to be doing some flopping around and rolling, probably in Lake Meridian on the east hill of Kent.  Has a good area to launch and a beach area outside the swimming ropes.  Happy to have some company beside my wife watching.  I'm never sure she's come in the water after me anyway :'(  Kind of fun to tip other boats to see what it's like to get back in the saddle.  I have some extra dry pants and dry top that should be OK in the shallower lakes for this if the suit doesn't come quickly.

Have fun in Hawaii.  If you're careful around fish that bite back, it's fun to wind some line on a stick from shore and snorkel or ride a board out to spot some fish.  Drop the line by hand with a small bait and jig for some.  A glove is nice to have...Send a PM when you get back, maybe we can see if some others want to get wet.   

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Good to see some new people joining the forum. Outdoor Emporium in Seattle is a new Hobie dealer that should be getting a fleet of kayaks in by mid May.  They will also be carrying Kokatat PFDs/Dry Suits and a variety of mounting accessories.  If you're in the south sound, Gig Harbor Fly Shop is also a dealer.  Check them out. Both are great shops.

Also, if you're into chasing bass Jasen Phelps started WA Kayak Bass Fishing.  There's several tournaments online and meet ups around the state https://www.facebook.com/groups/1940161929589821/