Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Another FF thread  (Read 5963 times)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I looked at other threads but they are dated and through maybe a current one would help other new members as well as me.

The Lowrance Elite 4 HDI fish finder I've used for several years is going with my Trident 13 to a new NWKA home.  The Trident will be replaced with a 2018 Hobie Revolution 13 in about a week.  That means I need a new FF to go with it. I planned on going with another elite 4 HDI just because I'm used to it (mostly), but it's been replaced with the Lowrance® Hook2 5 SplitShot™ U.S. Inland Sonar/GPS Combo.  This has a 5" screen vs the 4, has mostly the same features is in the same price range I was expecting (around $300 for the 4-unit and HDI transducer).

Looking for feedback from actual experience (vs research I can do) with other FF's in theis range (good cheaper is not bad either:-) people like.  Important things are dual scan, speed, GPS/tracking, ease of use.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:53:13 AM by Trident 13 »

Chromer

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
I recently put a Lowrance hook 2-5 on my Revo and like it so far, although I haven’t used it on the water yet.  One thing I like about it is it has enhanced base maps which means many of the smaller trout lakes have depth contours already built in.  If you look on The GPS Store, they have the split shot for 300 with Navionics +.  One other thing, a little electrical tape may be needed to wrap around a wire or two in order to fit better in the Hobie wiring inserts.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:33:21 PM by Chromer »

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I just got a Humminbird Helix 5 CHIRP w/ GPS. Only had it out once so far, so can't say much. Nice display, has speed, temp, base chart, split screen (in a lot of ways) not sure of what all else.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
I’ve been having problems with my elite 5 mount, the unit doesn’t snap in to the mount all the way, leaving it vulnerable to being knocked off. Have to figure this out. Other than that, I’ve been happy with how the unit actually works.
T2

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I don't like the RAM mounts for the smaller HOOK2 finders (5" and 4") - BallardBrad linked to some pictures of them and they seem excessively bulky to me (NOT RAM's fault) - http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=20138.0.

I bought a Humminbird Helix 5 DI/GPS for a great price and I HUGELY prefer it over my older Lowrance HOOK-5.  The screen seems smaller to me than the HOOK, but it's brighter and clearer.  Much better down-imaging display.  Lots of great options - especially the AutoChart option - and I have the ability to eliminate seldom-used screens from or add preferred/custom screens to the "page through screen" button.  GPS lock is faster.  Takes all the Navionics maps I already owned.  Start the day with 12.6V on my 8aH SLA and end it six hours later at 12.4V - 0.4-0.6 more volts than the HOOK-5 finishes with - with the screen brightness set to maximum.

CONS:  (a) There are three sockets on the back: power, transducer, and NEMA.  There is no socket cover for the empty NEMA socket.  It's not causing me problems, but it makes me uncomfortable.  (b) It has almost too many useful views and functions for saltwater use.  I could spend most of the day playing with them if they aren't biting and I'm feeling bored.  (c) You have to register with Humminbird to access any updates.  What's up with that poo-poo?

I bought it from GPSNation (no affiliation whatsoever) for the lowest price I could find anywhere.  I wasn't going for the GPS/DI-capable unit but they offered it for less than most retailers wanted for just the GPS-capable unit.

I haven't been using it long enough to testify about it's durability but IMHO it's heads above the Lowrance units I've owned.

ALSO: I have not seen the HOOK2 screens.  I don't know if they've been improved in the newer versions, but my HOOK series screen seems "dull" compared t the Humminbird.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I’ve been having problems with my elite 5 mount, the unit doesn’t snap in to the mount all the way, leaving it vulnerable to being knocked off. Have to figure this out. Other than that, I’ve been happy with how the unit actually works.
T2

SUGGESTION: If it's mounted to a RAM ball adapter, take the adapter off and look at the recess in the head unit where the ball attaches.  There are two prong-like projections coming off the top of the mount recess that are easily bent if you aren't careful about how you handle the head unit when the rest of the RAM bits are tightened down.  I had the problem you're describing with my HOOK-5 after I rudely shoved it out of my way, and that's what was causing it.  If that's it in your unit, it's easy to fix by straightening those prongs.  Hope that helps.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
i was considering upgradeing my FF and was looking at the Hook2 and the Helix G2 series.  Hook2 essentially runs the same software as the Hook/Elite series, but the processors seem to be slightly sped up so its a bit more responsive.  If you liked your Elite, it seems like it would be a very easy transition to the Hook2.  The Helix on the other hand seemed to have a way nicer, brighter/vibrant screen.  I didnt want side scan though and the transducer that came with the Helix DI/GPS had a really narrow beam angle with no wider one and I didnt really care for that configuration.  I ended up staying with my Elite 4 CHIRP and talked myself out of spending the money.  Now I have 2 yaks, both with lowrance transducers.  My guess is my next will be a lowrance just so I can reuse the transducers.    I havent had any major issues with it yet and it seems to work fine for me. 

Trident 13

• Salmon
Shin09, Thanks, and I'm coming to that conclusion. The best one is the one you know how to use the best.  I am leaning toward the Hook2 with extra $$ for the side scan as I want to do more lake fishing and it seems like that's where the return on investment is.

If you're not a tech guy like me, reading the specs is a bit worse that having a great bit while being sea-sick.  It really frustrates me to hear "Apparently you didn't realize the one with the small -x doesn't have those features?"

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
... I didnt want side scan though and the transducer that came with the Helix DI/GPS had a really narrow beam angle with no wider one and I didnt really care for that configuration...

The Helix GPS/DI setting to use a 60-degree cone is too narrow???

Shin09

• Salmon

Shin09

• Salmon
This is the transducer that comes with DI models: https://www.humminbird.com/Products/XNT-9-DI-T/

This is the transducer that comes with non-DI: https://www.humminbird.com/Products/XNT-9-20-T/

The SI one has the wider traditional sonar and then does the wide beam SI too. I just didnt want to pay for the SI since I dont feel I need it

Chromer

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
Trident, will the side scan still work in the Lowrance ready scupper?  I think the sides of the hull may cut off some of the side scan ability which is why Hobie came out with the side scan Lowrance ready plate for the elite ti series.  Maybe berleypro will come out with one like they also have for the elite ti side scan transducer.

Trident 13

• Salmon
I did wonder about that and have found several examples of work arounds. Some DIY and some commercial products. All part of the game. If I was just looking at salt, wouldn’t be interested and focus more on bottom contours. But in shallow freshwater side scan might be worth pretty fun.
I know it must be good cause all of the advertisements and sponsored YouTube vids on the net say side scans are great! 

Trident 13

• Salmon
I'm looking at the Berlypro mount that says it adapts the Hobie mount to allow clean sidescan:
https://www.amazon.com/BerleyPro-Lowrance-Totalscan-Transducer-Mount/dp/B075GYQQNX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524582220&sr=8-1&keywords=berleypro

This is a two minute vid on the mounting process:

The guys in this video can be hard to watch, but at 1:50 they talk about the side scan adapter.  Seems to produce good side imaging while protecting the transducer.  Glad to avoid an over the side mount.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:35:54 AM by Trident 13 »

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I like my Lowrance Hook4, but if I were buying again I would get a FF with a bigger screen.

anything