Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Chicken guts for crab bait?  (Read 1993 times)

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I've got a batch of meat chickens growing right now.  Slaughter day is set for June 16, and crab season opens usually right around beginning of July in the Puget Sound.  Being the type to want to use as much of any animal as I possibly can the thought occurred to me to use something like Solo cups to hold the non-culinary guts (basically everything but heart, liver, and gizzard) from the chickens after slaughter and freeze them.  That should give a shape that will fit well in the bait canister in a lot of crab traps.  Dropping it in frozen should give a good long time for the bait to put out the scent trail and bring in the dungies while minimizing mess on the surface. 

Anyone ever done similar?  If so did that work well as a bait?  Would be beneficial to include any of the blood?

Was thinking I'd also use some freezer burned salmon heads from some whole salmon I was given a while ago as a hanging bait to keep the crab interested once inside the trap.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
June 16th?!?!?! Your going to miss the TBKD 4?

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I've got a batch of meat chickens growing right now.  Slaughter day is set for June 16, and crab season opens usually right around beginning of July in the Puget Sound.  Being the type to want to use as much of any animal as I possibly can the thought occurred to me to use something like Solo cups to hold the non-culinary guts (basically everything but heart, liver, and gizzard) from the chickens after slaughter and freeze them.  That should give a shape that will fit well in the bait canister in a lot of crab traps.  Dropping it in frozen should give a good long time for the bait to put out the scent trail and bring in the dungies while minimizing mess on the surface. 

Anyone ever done similar?  If so did that work well as a bait?  Would be beneficial to include any of the blood?

Was thinking I'd also use some freezer burned salmon heads from some whole salmon I was given a while ago as a hanging bait to keep the crab interested once inside the trap.

Crab like chicken and other bits of dead animals. 
You might be able to up the scent trail by mixing in some Pro-Cure Crab/Shrimp attractant, or Pautzke Bait Scents, Attractants Crab and Shrimp Fuel before freezing your guts the cups.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Hooper

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
Yeh, I've done that. It works well for all the reasons you bring up. I buy frozen livers from Safeway and freeze them in plastic cups. By the time I launch they just pop right out of the cups and I put them in a bait bag. Eeze peasy.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
June 16th?!?!?! Your going to miss the TBKD 4?

Unfortunately, yeah.  Right now, other than crabbing, it's looking rather like my one and only chance to fish, at all, this year will be the family trip to Hawaii in August.  Even ORC is rather unlikely.

Crab like chicken and other bits of dead animals. 
You might be able to up the scent trail by mixing in some Pro-Cure Crab/Shrimp attractant, or Pautzke Bait Scents, Attractants Crab and Shrimp Fuel before freezing your guts the cups.

I'll pick up something like one of those scents if I don't already have something similar (which I think I do).  That should be a good addition.  How much would you suggest I add?

Yeh, I've done that. It works well for all the reasons you bring up. I buy frozen livers from Safeway and freeze them in plastic cups. By the time I launch they just pop right out of the cups and I put them in a bait bag. Eeze peasy.

Need a "Like" button for posts!
2012 ORC 5th Place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I would add just enough to coat everything good when you get it all stirred up, or mixed up in a bag. 
No reason to waste the liquid.

Let it sit in the fridge over night to really soak in before you do the freezer thing. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15