Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:06:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie's Patent must have run its course...Enter the Pelican pedal drive  (Read 4148 times)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
So what will they call it?

Phantasm Drive
Illusion Drive
Optical Illusion Drive
Apparition Drive
Figment of Imagination Drive
Hallucination Drive
Ignus Fatuus Drive (my favorite)
Delusion Drive

Depending on how close it is to the mirage drive, I may call it "my spare drive."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:34:04 AM by craig »

craig

• Sturgeon
Another name:

Bring Hobie Prices Back Down to Reasonable Like They Were 6 Years Ago Drive .

Seriously.  To replace my drive and a plastic and mesh seat that falls apart in less than 2 years is over $1000. WTF.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Here's another video with a bit more on it.

-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

craig

• Sturgeon
I think any of my names for it were better than what they came up with.  ::)

I build kayaks and I was going to start putting mirage drive wells in the next builds and possibly modify one I have already. But I may wait a bit to see what one of these looks like. Hopefully soon this will be a pedal drive and replace my Hobie Revo.

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Very cool, Craig. I bet your boat is lighter than a hobie revo 13. Any you might consider a propeller drive.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Look more like they're going up against the Pro Angler than the Revo.  ICAST introduced more bass barges than kayaks this year.

(http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84548.0;topicseen)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:18:48 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I think any of my names for it were better than what they came up with.  ::)

I build kayaks and I was going to start putting mirage drive wells in the next builds and possibly modify one I have already. But I may wait a bit to see what one of these looks like. Hopefully soon this will be a pedal drive and replace my Hobie Revo.

Craig if you want to play around with a propel drive this winter to try and modify that to fit one let me know I’ll loan you one of mine in the off season.  ;)

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
FYI-  the reversing drive patent, US9359052B2, was filed in 2012, lots and lots of years left on that one.

appears to cover:
1) Reversing
2) Kick up fins
3) Better fins
4) Roller bearings

How about "Old Shabby Sea Gull Drive"?   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Huh.  Seeing that drive brings me back to the days of my old 2007 Revo and its V1 drive.  Nostalgia!

I wish them success.  While it's cool to see more pedal-driven kayaks on the market these days, I'm still mighty skeptical of the propeller-type models.  I've had too many nice fish dive underneath the boat and pull the line close to the drive.  One thing I like about the Mirage drive is you can quickly fold up the fins against the hull of the boat to minimize the risk of the line tangling with them.  That doesn't seem to be as smooth of an operation with a propeller-type drive.
aMayesing Bros.

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
This is my own observation, no bias, just experience over the pass years when buying new stuffs made by Chinese companies. I heard a few bad thing about China made Pelican not the drive. The quality is bad and they don't stand behind what they sale, buy as your own risk. They have a lot of great ideas, copycat master. To sale it cheap, they tent to cut corners and use low quality materials. I never see a Chinese made products that really impress me yet, I am still waiting. May be one of you will prove me wrong.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:58:39 PM by showa »

craig

• Sturgeon
FYI-  the reversing drive patent, US9359052B2, was filed in 2012, lots and lots of years left on that one.

appears to cover:
1) Reversing
2) Kick up fins
3) Better fins
4) Roller bearings

How about "Old Shabby Sea Gull Drive"?   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yup.  Don't need reverse.  It is for those with poor planning. ;)

craig

• Sturgeon
This is my own observation, no bias, just experience over the pass years when buying new stuffs made by Chinese companies. I heard a few bad thing about China made Pelican not the drive. The quality is bad and they don't stand behind what they sale, buy as your own risk. They have a lot of great ideas, copycat master. To sale it cheap, they tent to cut corners and use low quality materials. I never see a Chinese made products that really impress me yet, I am still waiting. May be one of you will prove me wrong.

Hobie sources many of their parts for the Mirage drive from China. They say so in their own forum when asked.  I love the Mirage drive.  I believe it to be the best format for kayak fishing.  I totally agree with Clayman on its risk reduction for fish fighting.  Also, that crappy Hobie seat I complained about that costs $479 -- it says made in China.  There are various levels of quality of parts made in China.  The "German level" is the highest.  German companies demand the higher quality and will pay for it.  The stuff shipped to America via Walmart (et al) is the lowest quality because they demand a low price point, not quality. 

I personally think that since it is a proven design and rather simple to manufacture, it would be hard to screw it up.

craig

• Sturgeon
Very cool, Craig. I bet your boat is lighter than a hobie revo 13. Any you might consider a propeller drive.

It weighs about what a Revo weighs, but is 2 feet longer.  I overbuilt it, though.  I have about 12 ozs of cloth on the bottom which, with the additional resin, probably adds 2-5 pounds.  8 ozs would have been plenty.  It also has 3 bulkheads in it, so like the Titanic, it is unsinkable-- in theory.

This one is 15 feet an weighs 35 pounds completed.  But it is a sit inside. http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=8043.msg86820#msg86820

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Huh.  Seeing that drive brings me back to the days of my old 2007 Revo and its V1 drive.  Nostalgia!

I wish them success.  While it's cool to see more pedal-driven kayaks on the market these days, I'm still mighty skeptical of the propeller-type models.  I've had too many nice fish dive underneath the boat and pull the line close to the drive.  One thing I like about the Mirage drive is you can quickly fold up the fins against the hull of the boat to minimize the risk of the line tangling with them.  That doesn't seem to be as smooth of an operation with a propeller-type drive.
I have had a few salmon do a nice dive under and not had them catch the drive, of course now that I said it the next one I hook will wrap the F@€k out of the prop with my line.  >:D ... I love my prop as long as I can avoid the larger weed patches floating by.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

craig

• Sturgeon
For those anxious for the reverse drive in a much cheaper form, you will have to wait.   Hobie’s patent on the 180 drive doesn’t expire until 2036.   

anything