Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Howdy from out west of Eugene  (Read 1124 times)

chris_the_wrench

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Hey all,

My name is Chris and I transplanted from north coastal San Diego up to Oregon 2 summers ago. I live about 15 miles west of Eugene. I started kayak fishing the San Diego ocean areas back in 1996. I cut my teeth chasing yellowtail, calico, sheephead and white sea bass(plus others) in the kelp paddies. I'm an avid water guy(surf, dive, fish), but not surfing as much anymore due to shoulder issues. In California I was in the ocean 4 times a week but fresh water fished probably only 6 times in 20 years, but now I fresh water fish several times a week and head to Florence about 1 - 2 days a week(when the weather cooperates). We keep a small boat over at Fern Ridge and chase the few bass around that lake frequently. My kayaking up here has been limited to the Willamette and Siuslaw and a few of the other small river/lakes/streams. I have yet to take the kayak out on the ocean here yet, primarily because the vehicle we take to the beach isn't setup for transporting a kayak yet(hopefully this week I'll resolve that!). I have shore fished the Florence jetty alot with limited success on lingcod and rockfish(lots of short lings), plus the beach for perch. I free dive the jetty frequently with a pole spear and have also done very well on the crab. I've become addicted to Dungeness crab like I was too lobster in San Diego.

I recently found this website, and was stoked to find some local intel.

First question on clothing for fishing the ocean. In SD during the winter our water temps are in the low 60's and air temp at dawn is usually around 50. Not too much different than Oregon summer. So I'd wear my surf wetsuit to get out through the surf(generally 3-5', sometimes larger) then I'd generally peel down the top of the wetsuit to my waist and wear a merino wool shirt and fleece jacket/paddling jacket while I fished(more comfortable), and pulled the suit back up to land through the surf. How do you all dress for paddling on the ocean here?

Thanks and see ya out there
-Chris

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
welcome Chris.

this month I have been out on the ocean several times out of Sunset Bay and ocean water temps were in the 49F to 51F range, air temp about 55F, might have hit 60F when the sun came out.  I wear my immersion suit on the ocean all the time off Oregon, in addition to protecting me, it also gives me more confidence in the event I need to assist another boater that gets in trouble.

cheers, roger 
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Welcome to NWKA Chris!

I moved up to Newport from NorCal about 1.5 years ago.  One thing I've noticed with the ocean up here is it gets COLD, especially following a series of north wind days in the summer.  The upwelling that occurs with the north wind can push the surface temperatures into the high 40s, with the coldest water being closest to shore.  You can be out there on a warm August day and the water can be 46 degrees  :o.  I wear a Kokatat dry suit for these conditions, with synthetic layers underneath.  It can suck wearing those layers on a hot summer day, but when the water's that cold, you'll want the protection.

If the north wind quits for a few days in a row, the water can warm up.  It was hitting 63 degrees out of Depoe Bay last week.  Those are the days I'm more comfortable with rolling down the suit a bit.

Siuslaw tidewater should be a good option for fall Chinook in about a month.  Maybe I'll see you out there sometime  ;).
aMayesing Bros.

• Date Registered: Mar 2017
Give a shout when you're headed out. I have 7 days off every other week and fish, dive, crab, clam and generally try to create a commotion in the ocean with regularity. I'm new to the kayak fishing in the salt but I'm working on it.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
You don't roll down your immersion suit up here.  60F water can be painfully cold if you fall in - look up "Cold Water Shock".  Experts agree that the shock one feels in 50F-60F water is as intense as it gets, even if the water is colder than 50F.  When you hit the water unexpectedly, your first physical reaction is an uncontrolled gasp followed by involuntary hyperventilation, and if your head isn't above water when that happens...  Well, it ain't gong to be pretty.

Have fun and be safe!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

chris_the_wrench

• Plankton
I went out free diving the Florence jetty today. Visibility sucked(barely could see my fingers most places, and that's abit erie to me), and it felt like the water temp dropped back down a few degrees. I picked up probably 2 dozen female crabs and half a dozen short males, but no keepers.

I'm still diving in my 3/2 sd surf suit that I wear with a vest/hood combo. Probably makes it like a 4/2. I'm good for an hour or so in upper 50's h20 as long as the sun is out, but I really need to get a proper suit for here.

-Chris

chris_the_wrench

• Plankton
Which Kokatat suit do you use?

Thanks
-Chris

Welcome to NWKA Chris!

I moved up to Newport from NorCal about 1.5 years ago.  One thing I've noticed with the ocean up here is it gets COLD, especially following a series of north wind days in the summer.  The upwelling that occurs with the north wind can push the surface temperatures into the high 40s, with the coldest water being closest to shore.  You can be out there on a warm August day and the water can be 46 degrees  :o.  I wear a Kokatat dry suit for these conditions, with synthetic layers underneath.  It can suck wearing those layers on a hot summer day, but when the water's that cold, you'll want the protection.

If the north wind quits for a few days in a row, the water can warm up.  It was hitting 63 degrees out of Depoe Bay last week.  Those are the days I'm more comfortable with rolling down the suit a bit.

Siuslaw tidewater should be a good option for fall Chinook in about a month.  Maybe I'll see you out there sometime  ;).

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

Thanks
-Chris

Welcome to NWKA Chris!

I upgraded to this one earlier this year, absolutely love it and Outdoor Play let me apply a 15% discount...

https://kokatat.com/product/supernova-angler-dsugsa

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I went out free diving the Florence jetty today. Visibility sucked(barely could see my fingers most places, and that's abit erie to me), and it felt like the water temp dropped back down a few degrees. I picked up probably 2 dozen female crabs and half a dozen short males, but no keepers.

I'm still diving in my 3/2 sd surf suit that I wear with a vest/hood combo. Probably makes it like a 4/2. I'm good for an hour or so in upper 50's h20 as long as the sun is out, but I really need to get a proper suit for here.

-Chris

we are at the end of our strongest tide cycle of the entire year, not surprised it was poor visibility...

chris_the_wrench

• Plankton
Alright I'm going to order one of those up shortly. Are you using the goretex or the hydros 3.0? One of the dealers told me the hydros is very close to the gore's breathability but you get the additional gore warranty with the gore model?

Is there any reason I couldn't use this for wading the river with some wading boots?

Thanks
-Chris

Thanks
-Chris

Welcome to NWKA Chris!

I upgraded to this one earlier this year, absolutely love it and Outdoor Play let me apply a 15% discount...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I upgraded from the exact same Kokatat suit in Hydrus3L, I loved that suit, served me well for 5 years (and I was able to pass it along to hopefully get lots more use at HOW events) but the Goretex version is lighter, thinner/more flexible fabric, and the reinforced areas (light colored which helps in the sun) on the legs, butt, and elbows is a reinforced version of GoreTex designed for high wear areas.  On the older suits, I believe they had applied reinforcement fabric over the top of the Hydrus fabric.

I have worn my suit before, instead of chest waders, to bank fish winter steelhead on days when it was going to rain all day...best dam rainsuit ever.   ;D   

Alright I'm going to order one of those up shortly. Are you using the goretex or the hydros 3.0? One of the dealers told me the hydros is very close to the gore's breathability but you get the additional gore warranty with the gore model?

Is there any reason I couldn't use this for wading the river with some wading boots?

Thanks
-Chris

Thanks
-Chris

Welcome to NWKA Chris!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:06:57 PM by rogerdodger »

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I have a Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler suit.  Nothing fancy.  Can often find them for under $500.  But if you have the cash, the one Roger linked above would be an even better investment.
aMayesing Bros.

trog5050

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Salmon season will open in August on the Siuslaw, If you are interested let me know.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

-Chris

Give a shout when you're headed out. I have 7 days off every other week and fish, dive, crab, clam and generally try to create a commotion in the ocean with regularity. I'm new to the kayak fishing in the salt but I'm working on it.

Let me know also when you guys want to do some freediving.

Chris - If you want to upgrade your dive suit, I'd recommend Eugene Skin Divers Supply. They've helped me out many times over the years. It looks like they may be having some security issues with their main webpage, but their FB page checks out okay. https://www.facebook.com/eugeneskindiver/

-Paul

anything