Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: You can flip using a Downrigger - Some real experience thoughts  (Read 5752 times)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
WorkHard did everything but put a great fish in my lap at Point No Point last Sunday and his advice was much appreciated.  However, with skillful rod handling I managed to keep the hope of a large salmon returning to spawn alive. I'm blaming it on braid vs mono, and a tight drag.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

That's not the point of this long post which I debated whether to document, but I feel some obligation after putting out the Revo Downrigger plans. 
 After successfully losing two nice fish while mooching, and with a growing current, I thought I'd try the new DR.  I had added a gear track/pole holder on the left side to help stabilize the revo by reaching to the opposite side of the DR for the pole.  My plan was to troll an area I knew, in 150-170+ FOW.  I would set the DR at 120 and watch the FF staying on the deep side of a 70 FOW shelf I knew well.  Well, it worked, but I was closer to the shelf ledge than I thought when I got a takedown.  I grabbed the pole, got a couple of good pulls and suddenly saw the DR bouncing, knowing the current had carried me onto the 70 FOW plateau.  I immediately started cranking the DR up with one hand but it hooked to the bottom. Thinking back, hitting the release would have been better, but it the heat of the battle, I chose to pull.
While reeling the DR with one hand and holding the pole with the other I flipped the rudder to turn back into the now rapid current to get back to the other side of the snag while still holding the pole.  The DR line was getting tighter and I reached for my knife to cut free, but just at that moment the 3-4 ft waves from a passing container ship arrived I was expecting arrived. The perfect trifecta.   The left (non-DR side) rose 3-4 feet with the right, not so much.  I was suddenly in the water for the first time in 30+- years.

I was pissed, but still not overly concerned as I've practiced righting one many times, I reached under to grab the far side handle to pull while pushing up on the near side one.  While it worked well in practice, I failed to realize the DR was still stuck holding the right side and the current prevented me from pulling the left side under.   After a few nearly successful efforts, I paused to catch my breath and a few thoughts.  I was still not overly concerned and tried reaching for my knife only to remember I had reached for it during the trifeca, and it was gone.  Thoughts of trying to turn the kayak 180 weren't working and I was reaching inside my PDF pocket for a small sniper plier to cut the DR line when a passing boat pulled up and asked WTF did you hook into?  They had watched the catapult out of the kayak. I asked if he could pass down current and toss me a line, which I quickly tied to the handle.  He really only drifted away a bit but with enough force to snap the DR line and roll the kayak.  I was able to quickly get back in and thanked "Tracy" profusely.   
He said they were going to fish in the area but would tow me in. While I appreciated the offer, I said I'd be OK but asked if he could keep an eye on me.  I was sure I could make the half-mile to shore. 

I then realized the revo was about 1/3+- full of water, guessing the current was strong enough that a hatch opened slightly at some point.  I was sitting low…waves over the free board low.  I watched and waited for a calm moment and quickly opened the center hatch to grab my pump only to find it was doing what I trained it to do, float, but it was nowhere hear the hatch.  Tracy was still watching but I waived and headed in feeling comfortable he would watch until I landed.  I peddled to shore while using the paddle to brace in large waves.  Later I found one latch on my waterproof case for my iPhone was unclipped.  I needed a new one anyway, so the iPhone and knife were the only lost items as all poles and other gear stayed with me.

So, it's my first dump (kayak) in 30+- years.  It took all of maybe 3-4 seconds for the trifecta to complete.  If you use a DR, watch the current.  I thought I was.  Don't push against a known shelf.  If you bounce bottom RELEASE the drag instantly and then try to return if you can to free it. Watch for big waves, but, but I was even expecting them.  I might tie my pump to the center hatch with 6-lb mono I can break.  While I never really felt in serious danger, after about the 3rd WTF, I stopped and thought this would be a good time to just hang at the kayak for a moment to stop and think.  I knew I had built in Styrofoam and always tuck 3 extra PDF's in the hatch so I wasn't going down if I could break the line.  So, bottom line, I made it to shore albeit slightly red faced.  I hope to try again, but with newfound knowledge and hope to pass some hard learned tips on to others.  As we prepare for our move to PA, this may have been my last Puget Sound outing, and one to remember.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:50:21 AM by Trident 13 »

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I have occasionally caught my downrigger weight on the bottom or some other obstruction when trolling in still water (i.e. in a lake).  That isn't a problem.  My kayak would grind to a stop and sometimes turn a bit towards the side on which the downrigger is mounted.  It sometimes took me several seconds to figure out what had happened, because the symptoms can be fairly subtle.  I would stop pedaling, release the cable reel of my downrigger, turn and go back some distance in the direction I had come from while letting out downrigger line, and then set the brake and pull the downrigger weight off the obstruction.  I've never lost a downrigger weight.

But as Trident 13 discovered, if you catch your downrigger weight on the bottom while trolling in current and waves, things can go bad very quickly.  You could get dumped in the water and swept away from your kayak.  Your kayak could get pulled partly underwater.  You could release your downrigger's brake, right your kayak, climb back onto it, and immediately start pedaling up-current.  But if you run out of downrigger cable before you get back into your kayak, you'd be back into trouble again.

Because downrigger trolling anywhere near the bottom in current is dangerous, I don't do it.  However, I am willing to downrigger troll in current if my weight will be way, way above the bottom.  For example, I would be willing to downrigger troll at 50 feet if I was in water which was reliably 200 feet deep.

Whales are another issue.  I would not downrigger troll if there are whales in the area, because of the risk that a whale could hit my downrigger cable.

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Whoa,glad you're ok. Thanks for sharing,can never have too many reminders of how quickly things can get ugly.
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Way to stay calm, sometimes that’s the difference between an issue or situation and an emergency..... staying calm! Thanks for the share.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Great addition to the forum, thank you for taking the time to share that.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Excellent share, John.  Very much appreciate you providing the details of your experience so that we can learn from it.   Very glad to hear that your final WTF count was just a lost DR ball and iphone, and not your life.  Pretty serious stuff!! 

I don't use my downrigger in current - I'm only using it on still water in a lake, but the dangers of hanging up and having the DR cable tension flip the kayak is still present.  I've also been rethinking the rigid attachment of the downrigger to the kayak for the reasons you just experienced.  Thanks very much for the warning.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Thank you for sharing what could be embarrassing, but useful recap for many thinking of running a downrigger. I think a super important thing to note is that I would 100% always run braided line for downrigger cable. Sure you CAN break the metal line, but it's a heck of a lot harder to cut it than with braid, you also get the benefit of not having the annoying hum with the braid.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm happy you're safe and confident enough to talk about a FUBAR moment so the rest of us can learn from your RFU, but...

How's the radio?   >:D
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
If you think you are prepared, as I did, from the time of the fish strike, to the hang up, to the wave flipping me all occurred in about the time you can quickly count to five.  I really find that hard to believe.  But once again, I would  have had time to slap the crank loose if I would have had the thought.  That would be my main talking point ONCE someone decided using the DR was OK.  It will be my first thought from now one...

(Tinker, for you, just point to all the fingers on your left hand individually :happy2:, I'm talking with Mojo about how to get the metal bender donation down to him, maybe 8-12.  If you just want me to mail it and be done I'll split mailing costs and send a copy of the receipt if you send and address through PMs)

I chose not to take the waterproof floating radio as I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get a new iPhone.  Again, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Thanks for posting, gives me something to think about having just bought your old downrigger!  So far I've just used it on lakes to good effect.  It would be harder to quickly release this one in a situation like you had since I have to loosen the nut instead of hitting a lever.

Kevin

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Thanks for sharing.  Glad it all worked out as well as can be expected.

I keep my pump, sponge, and throw bag clipped to a piece of bungee I have running between pad eyes in my hatch (stole this idea from Insayn).  Keeps everything right where I can reach it no matter what the kayak does.  Thanks Insayn.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I have a DR and mounting hardware sitting in storage, waiting for me to really get around to mounting it and putting it to work. Like the anchor trolley I never mounted.

There are some valuable ideas in here, at least for me:

1) Don't DR in current. In fact, if you wouldn't anchor there, don't troll with a DR there.

2) I quite like the idea of using 4-6# mono as a leash for the pump. Keeps it in a known location while not making yet another snag hazard on the boat.

3) A spare PFD under the front and rear hatches is probably well worth adding. Doesn't make you much heavier, may come in handy in an emergency for self or others. I'll probably be looking for one of those floaty-belts for the rear, to be able to get it through the 8" hatch.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Glad you're alright. I probably won't ever use a DR, but great tips.

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
Woah...sorry to hear of your ordeal. Glad you got out of it OK.

I finally got around to trying my DR setup last weekend and, to be honest, I did not like it. I didn't have any of the problems you experienced but just didn't feel safe enough. I'm planning to park the DR idea for a while and try the 4, 6 or 8 oz cannonball on sliding swivel, inline flasher, to spoon or herring or hootchie.

I found that it was too much stuff to try to keep track of. That and we had some crazy big wake waves last time I fished out here. Like 6-8 feet. I heard them coming and pulled up all my gear and headed straight for them. Got through em fine but definitely tossed me around a bit. I'll admit I was shaking for a minute or so after...

Going to go with the K.I.S.S. method for a while...

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
This is a great thread for considering safety issues. Thank you for posting. I use my downrigger all the time on Juan de Fuca Strait where there is lots  of current and have done so for years. My main way of keeping safe is to only have my 5 or 7 lb ball down to a max of 70 feet (usually only 40 or 50 ft) in depths which are usually much greater. The second thing I have practiced is to whip out my knife and pretend to slice my downrigger braid. I have never hooked the bottom with the rigger but I’ve made the decision to slice it quickly as the first thing to do. Trident’s post has made me reconsider my safety prep. I think I will move my blow up flotation bags from my surf kayak to my fishing kayak as a first step and I will make sure my pump is more accessible. Glad you are safe Trident and thanks again for the post.
T2

anything