Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:59:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: crabhawk!  (Read 23316 times)

jself

The latest addition to hand lining from a sea kayak:

http://www.crabhawk.com/

I've been toting full size, 30-40lb crab traps around on the deck of my sea kayak and it totally sucks! Quite a few times I've needed a buddy's help in retrieving them off the bottom. I can get it to the boat, but clearing the hull and getting it on deck in anything other than glassy water was super hairy.

I can't tell you how many times I find myself floating on top of a bunch of crab while touring or surfing and wish I could snag a few. I could sight fish them with my hand line and the crab hawk and my total crab fishing set up would be less than 3lbs, and fit in a hatch or under the deck rigging while cruising.

I saw a guy casting one at Cascade Head last fall and he pulled out a crab within 10 seconds of every cast. Seems ideal for the hand line as well. We're going to start carrying them at Alder Creek with sea kayakers in mind.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I found one on my last beach clean up, but it needs new netting. I love finding useful stuff! Somebody should make one double or triple the size. It looks like you could barely fit a good size dungie within the framework, but in theory they would seem effective. Especially for the Hobie guys, who could hold their position directly over it w/out dropping their rod. I wouldn't think drifting and dragging it across the bottom would do much good.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Drool

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
After getting tangled up in conflicting wind and currents, other crabbers that drop right near you, and losing all sorts of gear, I'm giving this baby a try myself.

Also, there are some areas you need to be down 75-100 ft. and when you factor in 25' of rode it becomes sort of impractical - for me.  I think dropping a device down with rod and reel will work out better.

I wonder if this would count as a 2nd rod?

Bret

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

I wonder if this would count as a 2nd rod?

You would probably get some dirty looks, but I wouldn't think it would count as two rods as you're not targeting fish and there's no hook. I'm not a game warden though.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

jself

I always see tons of crab where PB's couldn't possibly get. Right up next to rocks/walls/headlands in little pockets I hide in etc. Many times I've been able to get stone crab with just my hands. I'm headed to Tillamook Bay tomorrow with TXpaddler and I can't seem to find a crab hawk in stock anywhere to give it a go.

I might just try the old texas crawdaddy meathod and tie a drumstick on the end of the hand line with a hook attached.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Almost sure I saw some in Tillamook Sporting goods the last time I was in there (last week)

jself

I'll hit them up if they're open.....any idea what time do they open?

J

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
Fairly sure they open at Seven AM. 

You might also try the store/boat rental place on the docks at the garibaldi marina or I think the Bar View store might also carry them.   Most places on the coast that carry a decent tackle inventory have them, more often in stock during the summer months as they are favorites of the tourons

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
Bi-Mart has the Danielson version identical to the Crab hawk for $16 each.

I tried tossing these with a fishing rod off the Garibaldi crab dock last fall, but you have to have some serious drag to winch it back in with a load of crab.  And yes you can catch several keepers at a time with one, as the net will stretch in several directions.  To get them to sink faster, just add some pencil led to the center bar and you're set.  These are also a kick for kids, as they can actually handle them much easier than a loaded ring/pot, and you can pull them up every few minutes.  Kids won't have time to get bored.

I recently got myself 2 more, so I now have 3 for kayak crabbing.   My goto crabbing for docks, and now kayaking are these gems.  Just wrap 50 feet of thin line, or 550 cord around the closed unit and stuff 3 of these into a 5 gallon bucket.  The Dollar Tree sells 3 piece frozen Tyson chicken thighs for $1 and two packages fit in the 5 gallon bucket with the traps with room to spare.  Add a seat lid and you're set for a dock.  For kayaking, I'll just put the bait in a stinky dry bag and store below deck until needed. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Drool

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I've heard those work pretty good too.  May try em' both out this year.

24togo

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Nanook!  How was Tilly today?  I'm thinking of going tomorrow to drop a couple traps and look for some fish.

jself

Nanook!  How was Tilly today?  I'm thinking of going tomorrow to drop a couple traps and look for some fish.

Tilly was great, fishing was slow, napping was great as well. Couple female and undersized crabs no keepers, TXPaddler said he had a sturgy pick up his bait and spit it out but I don't believe him :)

I fished mild for 30-45 minutes and then managed to nap in the little clearing behind the point at crab harbor.

Must have been the one crappy wether day all week at the coast....drizzle and 20kt wind in the afternoon.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Went to the Seattle Boat show today to look at fishfinders, would up with a jolly good kayak-size crab pot:

http://www.jollygoodtrap.com/

They need some rebar in the bottom, as they're really light , but they work really well, and fold flat and small. Downside is price----$69
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I found the Danielson traps at Warehouse Sports in Salem today for $9.99 each.  I bought two for later trips to the coast.