Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:35:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Crabbing in Southern Oregon closed due to domoic acid  (Read 1390 times)

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
It's my fault.  I bought a shellfish tag again and am being punished for being irrationally optimistic...
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
I don't understand this. In WA, they close beaches for clamming for D.A. (I think). Which is understandable since you def. can get the domoic acid poisoning eating clams/oysters/mussels. Crab harvest is usually still allowed since they say it stays in the viscera and isn't found in the meat. Am I confused about this? I do feel a little squeamish eating crab from areas where shellfish harvest is closed though...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
What's hard to understand?  There's a toxin in crabs that cannot be neutralized by cooking, for which there's no antidote, and which is poisonous to more than just people - and the discarded viscera, with its toxins, ends up somewhere in the environment.

It's aggravating, but I'm okay with someone making a conservative judgment call on this.

alpalmer

• Salmon
I don't understand this. In WA, they close beaches for clamming for D.A. (I think). Which is understandable since you def. can get the domoic acid poisoning eating clams/oysters/mussels. Crab harvest is usually still allowed since they say it stays in the viscera and isn't found in the meat. Am I confused about this? I do feel a little squeamish eating crab from areas where shellfish harvest is closed though...

The way I understand it, the domoic acid leeches out from the viscera when the crab is cooked whole, thereby "contaminating" the meat.   I have no evidence to support this theory, but I would think that if one "backs" the crab prior to cooking the risk is minimized.   But closures are closures.  Recent test results can be found here: http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/shared/Documents/Publications/FoodSafety/CurrentCrabBiotoxinData.pdf
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
--Edward Abbey--

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
Good answers, thanks. I guess I was wondering more about the difference between the rules of the two states. Better to err on the side of caution.

alpalmer

• Salmon
Both Oregon and Washington appear to both use the 20 parts per million standard. I would assume both crab and clams are tested simultaneously and when one species shows elevated levels, that increased scrutiny is applied to the others.  But,  I could be wrong.  Not sure why crab might not be affected when razor clams are other than location where they are harvested, water depth possible, distance from shore/beach.
--Edward Abbey--

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
What's hard to understand?  There's a toxin in crabs that cannot be neutralized by cooking, for which there's no antidote, and which is poisonous to more than just people - and the discarded viscera, with its toxins, ends up somewhere in the environment.

You missed the point Tink. What’s hard to understand is why two neighboring states view the hazard completely different. Has nothing to do with polluting the environment. It was a simple question.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Flew right over it.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I guess I could have talked about how each state is allowed to set its own health standards or something similar but that seemed too obvious an answer for the question.  Oregon and California take very similar approaches to closures for domoic acid content in shellfish.  Washington apparently does its own thing.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
+1 for Zac. Nice to be able to ask a reasonable question  ???

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Razors retain DA for a very long time relative to other invertebrates.  That's why razors are closed and crab can be open in the same area at the same time.