Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Halibut meetups out of depoe / PC  (Read 2734 times)

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Nearshore is open. I’ve met / fished near a few folks on the forum, but don’t have anyone on speed-dial yet. My personal buddies that are always around when taking out my aluminum boat have yet to buy into kayak fishing.

I’m keen to put some days in, maybe a couple in a row one or more times in the next month, and solo halibut further offshore alone....

What I’m saying is I’d like to get a thread of interest going so the likelihood of schedules and conditions lining up for company heading 1+ miles offshore increases.

If you’re geared up (safety and halibut ready)
And if you’re keen to pedal / paddle out a ways
I’m into putting some time in. Chime on in.

Is a thread like this bad form?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:16:50 PM by nomas »

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Nice form Nomas! Good luck out there  :banjo:
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Great post Nomas.  I'm sure there are other, like minded individuals on this forum who'll be chiming in. 

Question: Do you have a target area in mind or are you leaving it to the fates?

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I'm following this thread - someday I'll be ready to target halibut!  I'll need Mark to sharpen my harpoon tip for me!!  Meanwhile I'll keep getting practice from a powerboat.

nomas

• Rockfish
I’ve done plenty of googling and depth map staring (and I’ll be doing more) but I think chance will likely be my guide. Depth changes etc rather than flat, sandy bottom, but I’ll no doubt let my mind be changed by anyone with a hint of confidence.

Should have included this as part of my original post, but anyone thinking I may lead to a halibut hot spot should adjust their expectations.

Pointers, guidance, or experienced company....we should all be so lucky.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:44:57 PM by nomas »

Drifter2007

• Salmon
I am pretty set on catching a halibut out of Depoe Bay from my kayak this year! So, yes, count me in! The only thing that I am lacking is the harpooning setup, which I do feel is pretty important.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I'm in. It's the Summer of Fred. The stars gotta align this summer! I have a shark hook or a harpoon for the job. Let me know if you have a window of dates open.

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

nomas

• Rockfish
Sat or Sun the 9th or 10th if conditions are good.
Depoe or PC - consensus choice.

If conditions don’t line up for the weekend, then it’s probable I’ll post up for the best weekday the week of the 11th and hope there are others also celebrating the summer of Fred with Fred, drifter, and I.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Remember Saturday the 9th is an all depth halibut day.  Different regulations on all depth versus inshore.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
I have been pretty spoiled by a bunch of halibut in the freezer the last two years. That being said if it is an all depths day I will probably be on my buddies boat out of Newport trying to ensure the sweet food addiction can continue. Lemon Pepper grilled Halibut may very well be my favorite food. My friend is retired and lives less than a mile from the marina in Newport.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

nomas

• Rockfish
Will target the 10th to avoid the 9th all-depth date. PC or Depoe still up in the air, and conditions / wind permitting, of course.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I'll give you a shout whenever I see a window to put in time.  Some old-timers gave me some numbers to check out that are well within reach of Depoe--they said they catch halibut out there on a (relatively) regular basis.  I have all the gear and am ready to roll, even have a nice bait selection including black-label Yaquina Bay herring and salmon belly.

Long-range forecast isn't painting a nice picture for this next weekend, but it's still a ways out and things can change.  Summer steelies just surged into the local rivers, and they'll likely be occupying most of my June weekends unless a real glassy ocean presents itself.  Still have a lot of nearshore season ahead of us!
aMayesing Bros.

nomas

• Rockfish
As mentioned, this weekend’s forecast isn’t looking terrific, so Sunday is probably off. I’m fixin to take a weekday or two off work if the conditions get right next week (pending being clear of any work “emergencies”).

I’ll post up when it looks promising.

That said, I’m willing to follow anyone experienced with some “spots” in less comfortable conditions if they’ve a mind to. I’ve been exercising and still have a hazy recollection of being young.

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I am not sure if or when I will make it out this year, but I have had some halibut luck in the past.  The typical halibut grounds at PC are about 2+ miles offshore.  Make sure to pay attention to the wind, the drift, and fog because things can get dicey very quickly.   Also, I have caught more salmon trolling to find halibut than halibut. 
Good luck and be safe.   

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I have caught more salmon trolling to find halibut than halibut. 
Good luck and be safe.   
My favorite part of pursuing halibut in OR
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea