Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:52:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Yaquina Bay report 3-Sep-2018  (Read 1406 times)

Saltydog0

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2012
My freezer is full of crab, and the wind forecast was too much for me to try Depoe or PC.  Launched from behind the brewery for the first time.  I wasn’t sure of parking rules so I drove over and left the truck in front of the brewery.

Launched at 8 and headed out of the harbor and to the fingers for the first time.  Picked up my first Copper Rockfish on about my third or fourth cast inside of the first finger.  This was on a ¼ oz. leadhead and 3” purple curly tail grub.

Headed over to the inside of the third finger and landed two Black Rockfish on a 6” Zoom Fluke.

Headed over to the end of the next visible finger (I think #5?) and had something steamroll me.  I’m using my Shimano freshwater bass rod and this fish goes straight under the kayak.  I extend the rod with my left hand past the bow and switch to my right hand.  Somewhere in that exchange I lost grip and there goes my Daiwa Luna & Shimano Clarus into the bay.  Another first.

After drying my eyes, I grabbed my second stick and went back over to the third finger to round out my 4-fish limit.  I then tried for perch with a sabiki rig tipped with cut squid, but it was about 10:30 and the wind made it unfishable.

Back to the beach just before 11.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:21:47 PM by deptrai »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
nice limit of rockfish on a windy day, sucks about the rod and reel, my over under for that is 0.5 per year (I've lost 3 over 6 years)... cheers, roger
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I've been there once and launched from that spot. Sorry about the rod. Good job on the rockfish.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
maybe head back there on the next big minus tide.  It could be in the rocks at the fingers.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I see that the parking area has been modified since launching there a few years ago. However, back then we just parked and fished.  Nobody every bothered us with tickets or an ear bashing, nor had there been any signs stating "No Parking" anywhere around there.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Nice job on the fish. I would have spent a fair while trying to snag onto the line, or rod or something. That is if you happened to have a fairly heavy rod on board.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks for the report! I love the options for days when the ocean doesn't cooperate.

I'm curious: why not just launch at the boat ramp? It looks like that puts you closer to the opening of the marina and would be a pretty cushy launch with ample parking. Too much boat traffic?

Deluxeharley

• Lingcod
  • "Live like Ron"
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Headed over to the inside of the third finger and landed two Black Rockfish on a 6” Zoom Fluke.

What fingers are you talking about ?? I have been fishing at  Yaquina Bay before and have gone all the way out to the very end. I am completely lost on what fingers you are talking about. HELP.....
My New Motto is.... "Live like Ron"

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I am completely lost on what fingers you are talking about. HELP.....

Finger jetty.  Look at Yaquina bay from satellite view, West of the bridge, at the South jetty.  You will see 5(?) of them under the surface extending perpendicular to the NW.

Deluxeharley

• Lingcod
  • "Live like Ron"
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Snopro... thanks never really saw that before. Good ol Google...
My New Motto is.... "Live like Ron"

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
My recollection is that there is a restroom right by where you launched. My friend used to take a canoe down below the bridge and drag bait around the sand bottom and catch surf perch. I've never tried but that's what he told me.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
yep,   a bank of toilets right next to the fish cleaning station.  I park and put in at the road end out by NOAA.  Never any problems.   Nice sand beach to launch from, and not too muddy even at low tide.   A bit further to paddle but really nice spot.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--