Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:35:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 1756 times)

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
So last weekend I paddled all over Hagg Lake in search of some trout.  Pressure changed the night before and no one had a good day...except the one pb 50 feet away who got a 27"! Sigh...

I set up some trolling rigs after looking at what others were doing and talking with the guys at Bob's.  I tried one for the first 2 hours and it sucked! I was constantly having to retrieve and untangle it and the line twist was so bad I will need to re-line the reel I was using.  Please take a look at the pic.  I am new to trolling, what am I doing wrong?
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Your dodger is backwards I think.  That may cause it to roll a lot more leading to tangles. Ether that, or I have been using them wrong all these years. ;D

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Yes, the dodger is on backwards
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Like Craig said, the dodger is backwards.  Also, add a length of line (this is called the "bumper") between the dodger and the mainline connection point of at least 2 feet, maybe even 3.  This will give the dodger the ability to swing back and forth with a decent swing distance, which will give it a good action and draw fish in.  I would go with leader length behind the dodger of about 14-ish inches to start, but you can play around with it.  Go as short at 8 inches, no longer than 20 inches.  Others may have different input on the leader length.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Wilfite

• Rockfish
I figured it was something dumb.  Thank you all.

One more question, for this kind of arrangement should I be using the hoochie I am or the one with the bill?  I was afraid it might move around too much and cause more issues.
-Tony

Wilfite

• Rockfish
Fixed it  ;D

Ironically the other setup I randomly didn't pick was correct.
-Tony

Wilfite

• Rockfish
One more (probably dumb) question.  What is the purpose of the T-shaped protrusion other than to cause headaches?
-Tony

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
One more (probably dumb) question.  What is the purpose of the T-shaped protrusion other than to cause headaches?

I have also wondered that. I always cut it off.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Check out the action of a fishing rig by trolling it next to your kayak.  It may help to put the tip of your rod underwater.  Then you can adjust aspects of the rig to get the action you want.  For example, you may see that with two feet of leader behind your dodger, your hootchie, wedding ring, or other lure just drags along in a straight line, but that with eight inches of leader it twitches back and forth behind the dodger.  You may also realize that you are trolling too fast or too slow for the best action with that particular rig.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I believe it’s so you can loop the line on and keep the slider stationary, but I may be wrong..... especially if you ask TLW.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

BugNerd

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018

I have also wondered that. I always cut it off.

Yep, for the hook with long leaders or line.  It can grab weeds if you're bottom fishing.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
As posted, the Sling Blade was backwards. It doesn't spin but instead swishes back and forth. You can increase that action by bending it into a curve, or reduce it by flattening it out.

You know you are set up right when your rod tip is dipping in an even rhythm, about 30 bpm. Line angle should be 45 deg-ish, no less shallow than 30 deg. at about 2 kts.

Either hoochie is fine. The fish will tell you which they prefer that day.

You can also put scent on the hoochie itself, and/or the back side of the Slingblade. Gel is best. Garlic, Anise. Two kernels of corn on the hooks.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Wilfite

• Rockfish
Thank you all for the great advice.  One more:
Since I need to replace the line on that reel, how much additional load does this kind of rig put on the whole system? Do I need to go up in line size to accommodate it? 5#?  I think I had 15# flourocarbon on the reel before.  I use the same rod to throw lighter lures when bass fishing.
-Tony

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Since I need to replace the line on that reel, how much additional load does this kind of rig put on the whole system? Do I need to go up in line size to accommodate it? 5#?  I think I had 15# flourocarbon on the reel before.  I use the same rod to throw lighter lures when bass fishing.
That dodger/hootchie rig will put way less load on your line than even a small fish.  So put on whatever kind of line is best for the primary use which you make of that reel and rod.  For example, I do a lot of downrigger trolling and jigging for lake trout, so I set up my trolling and spinning rods with thirty pound test braided line.  I use the same reels when downrigger trolling for kokanee, with perhaps three feet of light fluorocarbon leader between the braided line and the rig.

Another suggestion about your rig - put a light rubber snubber or bungie above the dodger, to absorb the shock of strikes.  This is particularly helpful when trolling for kokanee, which have delicate mouths.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:53:17 AM by pmmpete »

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008

You don't necessarily need to replace your line, unless it's in a ball.  I'm guessing it's only twisted to the point you were letting it out for trolling. 

Go to a lake and attach something light like a swivel to the end of you line.  While underway let out your line to the point you were trolling at.  Tour around the lake for 15min like this.  Slowly start reeling back in with your line running through you fingers under resistance.  Repeat a couple times if necessary.  Most of the twist should come out.

If you have a lake that is deeper than the distance you were trolling, you can hang a light jig straight down and reel back in under finger pressure.

anything