Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 06:11:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 03:32:18 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Oddball catch and interesting find on sat.  (Read 4463 times)

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Saturday I went below johnday dam to try for walleye. No luck.but I did hook 2 smallies and a 30" carp.talk about a battle.I also found some lures on my pedle up river for a downhill troll.i found a MAG Lip that looks custom. It has CCA on it.can anyone tell me where it came from? Tournament prize,grab bag, or something else?
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I have heard of panning for gold but looks like your fishing for gold & giant goldfish  :spittake:

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Sweet...  ;D Since I'm probably the only person on this forum that actually targets carp on purpose I'm suitably jealous - really nice looking fish.

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Well? Did you keep it to eat? I heard they smoke up pretty good. They sure put up a fight and a lot of fun to catch though!
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Well? Did you keep it to eat? I heard they smoke up pretty good. They sure put up a fight and a lot of fun to catch though!

It went back to cause more walleye fisherman troubles lol.I have heard of folks eating them.I will pass.I still got salmon to eat.talk about a fighting son of a gun.that thing had my rod buried for a long time b4 I saw it.then after the first sighting it took 5 more min to net it.I can see why they have a dedicated following.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
love fishing carp. easy with bait, ultra hard with flies. so a wide range. bummed we don't have them in AK. got hooked on them while going to school in NY.  it was the only fish in the state outside of the great Lakes that could remotely test my AK salmon gear I brought to school. one of the hardest pulling fish pound for pound in freshwater.  just not a spectacular fight but it will test gear....
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

cdat

Agreed, carp are a very underrated game fish in the US. I think if more people were familiar with how they fight there would be more carp fisherman.

John

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Lots of people hate carp because they overrun rivers and lakes,  starving out the native fish.  They over populate so badly that people can do crazy crap like catch them with a hand net while wake boarding.

With the way anything from Asia destroys the eco systems in North America,  it's like our continent is a delicate virgin and Asia is a dirty whore.

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
With Merwin and the rivers blown out,springers slow,....carp fishing is starting to look pretty good.
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

RunolfsonIII

• Perch
It's my understanding that carp was considered good table fare before WWII.
2019 Native Slayer 13 Propel
2018 Native Titan 10.5 Propel
2015 WS Commander 120

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Yea, and so was the Pickle Stretcher Salad (http://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodblog/2009/07/28/throwback-of-the-house-the-pickle-stretcher-salad-is-not-funny)
Blech

I've had carp many times, in the form of gefilte fish. It is not good eats. My dad and grandparents, however, love it.

RunolfsonIII

• Perch
Yea, and so was the Pickle Stretcher Salad (http://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodblog/2009/07/28/throwback-of-the-house-the-pickle-stretcher-salad-is-not-funny)
Blech

I've had carp many times, in the form of gefilte fish. It is not good eats. My dad and grandparents, however, love it.

Geflite fish.... Like I tell my kids, there are all kinds of things that I would eat IF I was really hungry.  :laugh:
2019 Native Slayer 13 Propel
2018 Native Titan 10.5 Propel
2015 WS Commander 120

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
When I lived in Texas we used to make carp bait by mixing bran flakes and Big Red soda in a baggy to make a heavy dough. Mold it around your hook and hang to dry for a few days.
Lake Conroe had/has some seriously large carp, I believe they called them "white amur", and they have wreaked havoc on that lake as well.
 Very fun to catch.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Amur are also called grass carp. Not the same as common carp. Grass carp can be bred as triploids (non-reproductive) and are used to control vegetation.
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Amur are also called grass carp. Not the same as common carp. Grass carp can be bred as triploids (non-reproductive) and are used to control vegetation.
That's what they were supposed to be when introduced into lake Conroe, I guess some of them didn't get their nuts cut!
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

anything