Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:55:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:12:10 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: First time Steelhead fishing (Government Island area)  (Read 2812 times)

YakSlayer

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Hey everyone,

I finally got my stuff together and took my kayak out steelhead/Salmon fishing for the first time.
I've done well with trout at Lacamas lake recently, and figured it was time to go after larger fish. I didn't catch anything, but still had an awesome time.

Has anyone had luck in this area? I was just east of the 205 bridge on the Washington side of government island. I was mainly throwing out spin/glow's with coon shrimp, and then trolling a kwikfish when I moved around.
Could anyone recommend depths I should be targeting either species? I'm reading everything I can right now, so if you have any useful documents please send them my way.

I plan to go out next Saturday if anyone would like to meet up, either at the same location or anywhere else (Washington license).

Anyway, I'm thankful for having such a great resource and group of people!
- Cole

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Hey everyone,

I finally got my stuff together and took my kayak out steelhead/Salmon fishing for the first time.
I've done well with trout at Lacamas lake recently, and figured it was time to go after larger fish. I didn't catch anything, but still had an awesome time.

Has anyone had luck in this area? I was just east of the 205 bridge on the Washington side of government island. I was mainly throwing out spin/glow's with coon shrimp, and then trolling a kwikfish when I moved around.
Could anyone recommend depths I should be targeting either species? I'm reading everything I can right now, so if you have any useful documents please send them my way.

I plan to go out next Saturday if anyone would like to meet up, either at the same location or anywhere else (Washington license).

Anyway, I'm thankful for having such a great resource and group of people!
- Cole
Have you looked on ifish or older article of nwsportsman?I have a nw sportsmans mag that has a article from spot on that exact thing but not sure where he fished.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

YakSlayer

• Plankton
I have not checked out either of those, but will definitely look into it! Thanks for the info, it seems like a spot that isn't talked about much.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I'm no expert on catching Steelhead/Salmon this time of year in that area but there are other areas and seasons on the Big C I've had good success. I live 2 minutes from Lacamas and have never had any luck there. Today at the HOW event I caught a 4" smallmouth, my best ever! Let's trade tips, let me know when you're hitting Lacamas next.
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

YakSlayer

• Plankton
I'm no expert on catching Steelhead/Salmon this time of year in that area but there are other areas and seasons on the Big C I've had good success. I live 2 minutes from Lacamas and have never had any luck there. Today at the HOW event I caught a 4" smallmouth, my best ever! Let's trade tips, let me know when you're hitting Lacamas next.

That's awesome, I didn't realize there was an event going on. I'll definitely let you know when I'm going over there next. I have a few holes scoped out where I'm usually productive with spinners and flies for trout (all located far north where the creek starts).

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Sounds good, I've never fished that far up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa