Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: No activity here for 2 months  (Read 3512 times)

joecool911

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I've been a sailor for 20 years, but never a kayak. Since I have a strong background in sailing I figure it's a great way to be lazy and cover ground. Can't believe that there is such little activity here. You can even troll with a sail. I'd love to hear about some adventures!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Have you seen the wind on the coast?  Or are you kidding us?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Bet you could get a PA cookin before it rolled! >:D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

joecool911

• Krill
Watch this video.

This guys sails...available in USA from etsy can be reefed. High winds should be no problem. Just roll out what you feel comfortable with. Comes complete with mast, furler and all running rigging and cleats/pulleys for around $430. Pretty nice setup!

I raced lightnings. No such thing as reeling. Full sails unless it's blowing 35+...then they don't race.

You can always reduce sail area, but you can't generate wind that's not there. Now water conditions may not be conducive to sailing a kayak. That screamin northwest is a bear.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:03:51 PM by joecool911 »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I really wanted to utilize my AI this year in the ocean to get further out, or further from port.

However, this is also my sons first year fishing in the ocean with me and I really didn't feel it was a good idea to just leave him in the dust.  No point discouraging him right off the bat.

The AI will get it's day in the ocean eventually.  :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
look how windy it is in the video! whoa!!! actually... wish i could have conditions like that i would be able to sail more. maybe a little more wind tho. kayak sailing is for calm winds...max10 maybe 15mph winds. anything more it just gets too sloppy even with outriggers( a necessity for sailing in more then a breeze or you will find yourself in the water alot)which, since i live in the gorge seems like asking too much. either no wind at all or too much here. am speaking about the hobie revolution 13 that i have with hobie sail.  i dunno, are the A.I.`s much better?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:04:06 PM by dampainter »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I am by no means an expert at sailing, but the AI ama's really help keep you in the kayak under heavy gusts. 
The water does get choppy and it's a REALLY wet ride, but worth the ride for sure. 

I am not sure what the actual wind gusts where when Blue and I were flying along at 9+mph with one ama plowing water hard, but man was that fun!  I am sure I should have reefed the sail a notch, and leaned out on the opposite tramp to keep the ama from diving on me. 

I'm so looking forward to sailing on a breezy day in the ocean out of Depoe Bay sometime.  It may end up being this fall/winter when junior goes back to school and isn't able to be out there with me.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I just sailed my TI all around the B10 area last week. I didn't bother bringing rods out because I was alone and just testing the waters. It's amazing how fast this boats moves through the water. I was only running about 60% sail and was covering water at around 8 MPH in 15 MPH wind. Yes I was pushing it a bit, but that's what I was trying to do. Now there's no doubt in my mind I could easily sail to different locations and fish the B10 area really easily. Look for reports soon.
JMR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
I use the sail to troll my AI whenever possible. Here on Juan de Fuca strait the summertime afternoon westerly is fairly consistent. I can sometimes plan my day's fishing by going with an ebb tide from my put in spot and then catching the westerly back in the PM. I've had fun in October sail trolling for coho, moving along at a good clip.
T2

joecool911

• Krill
Is the AI a good primary fishing platform or kind of a specialty?

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
It is certainly my primary fishing platform. I have my downrigger, Rod mount and sounder/plotter mounted on a wooden platform on the starboard side. Works great.
T2

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I recently had my first sail/troll in my Outback. i know how to sail, but sail and fish, not so much. Fortunately the wind was about 5mph, so a good way to start. Trolling for Kokanee on CdA, so sailing at .8-1.5mph. I would like to try for Kams on PO, I don't think I could pedal 2.5mph for a prolonged period, but under sail might work, although the wind can get nasty there!

https://www.facebook.com/anthony.nixon.522/posts/1498554033491756?pnref=story
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
It is certainly my primary fishing platform. I have my downrigger, Rod mount and sounder/plotter mounted on a wooden platform on the starboard side. Works great.
T2

I recently got a TI and love it. How do you secure the platform to the akas. Also any photos of it rigged?
Fishing on Cave Lake. No wind/no sail->
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,