Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:44:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: September 24th Potholes Meetup!!  (Read 4727 times)

jpodyssey

• Rockfish
  • Tricity kayak anglers
  • Date Registered: May 2015
The plan is to meet up at the Potholes Reservoir on September 24th. This is an informal meet-up and would be nice to meet other anglers from the Northwest. This of course is an open invitation to whoever wants to show up.

Reminder that this is just a friendly meet-up, and not a competition. But that doesn't mean there can't be a friendly wager for beer and such between friends.

This is a great excuse to fish some new waters, and hopefully meet some new kayak fishing friends.

Hope to see you guys there!!

Tricity Kayak Anglers (TCKA) - Director

RAM mounts fishing team

Kayak Shed Fishing Team

1st  Place - 2017 KBF OR-WA Regional May / Bass
2nd Place - 2017 KBF OR-WA Regional April / Ba

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Depends on the kid's sports schedule that weekend.  Potholes SP for the rendezvous?

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I would appreciate more detail as the time comes and would really like to give it a shot.  Caught lots of walleye in WI and would like to test what I hear about those waters near the Potholes.  Plenty of good youtube videos and it doesn't seem any different from WI fishing for them.  Wouldn't mind a string of nice perch as well.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Has anyone stayed at the MarDon Resort? Looks like they have some bunkhouse rooms that are pretty reasonable.  My wife may come and paddle her yak around.  Thinking about going over Friday the 23rd and being ready to fish Saturday AM.  Likely night crawlers on a type of double  herring hook setup.  If anyone has been there, wondering where people fish.  In the map, 1=MarDon resort.  The other numbers would be my off the cuff priorities.  Looks like plenty of places to put in.  Willing to lay a friendly beverage wager for walleye filets against any other white-fish (except halibut). Might have the cooking gear for a bank feed.

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Yes.  I've stayed in both the bunk houses and cabins.  No frills but you do have a roof over your head.  I like the bunk houses because they do have showers.  You can launch for free at Mardon if you're staying there.  I've picked up many walleye along the rocky dam area and out towards the island.  Look for drop offs, rocky areas, etc.  Back by the dunes can also be good. It's a good paddle to get there.

I plan on heading over for the meet up.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Bunkhouse booked at MarDon's. Should be arriving about 8 PM or earlier with luck and ready to fish in the AM.  Wife will be cruising in sit-in around the area or hunting down growler friendly places till the fishing is over.  Looking forward to it.  Send me a private message with contact info if anyone wants to touch base, maybe for breakfast at the Mardon's? .  Having not been there before, my thought out of the gate is to drop in at the resort, troll toward the island slow with some crawlers or leaches and bounce bottom.  White-camo trident 13 with a large net out the back.  John

ballardbrad

• Salmon
I booked in the bunkhouse too.  See ya there neighbor. I'll be fishing Friday and Saturday.  For those who have stayed in the bunkhouses before it's now bring your own sheets and towels.  The cabins are also nice if you're doing more than one person.

Food choices are somewhat limited.  There's Mike's Place on the golf course which has drinks and bar food.  There's a gas station in town that makes sandwiches, fried food etc.

Trident 13

• Salmon
I'm think Mikes might be a good place to meet Friday when we get in, I'll give a yell.  Between now and then I'll be teaching some 25 year old rapalas to swim again.

jpodyssey

• Rockfish
  • Tricity kayak anglers
I think that this is a good location to meet, mainly because of the amount of space. This is a good launch, or there are other locations further east. There is great fishing throughout the reservoir, but I think this would be a good meet up point in the morning. Let me know what you guys think

RAM mounts fishing team

Kayak Shed Fishing Team

jpodyssey

• Rockfish
  • Tricity kayak anglers
For walleye gear, I would recommend trolling baits (i.e. Rapalas, Bottom walker/crawler harness, etc.)

There is plenty opportunity for crappie near mardon using worms and small jigs. The islands can be very productive too.

Bass are all throughout the reservoir, and I would bring everything... Topwater, Deep divers, Dropshot, Tubes, and the old trusty Senko.

I plan on primarily fishing for bass myself, but I will be bringing other lures for other species.

RAM mounts fishing team

Kayak Shed Fishing Team

Trident 13

• Salmon
JP and Ballardbrad,
My wife will be coming with her sit-in and will paddle around as well.  We're trailering the yaks and I think I'll have to put in at Mardon, leave hers on so she can put in later and troll your way along the rocks.  It's only three miles from Mardon to where you've suggested.  Not sure where you'll be fishing, but I'll head that way and catch up.  Seems like good opportunities along the way, not sure what the water is like having not been there but will be calling Mardon for some tips that way as well.
Where you're putting in was high on my guess list as you can see in the map of the earlier post.  Looking forward to it.

ballardbrad

• Salmon
Hey guys. I just got in from fishing at Potholes (Weds & Thursday). If you're on Facebook, here's my report here https://www.facebook.com/KayakFishingWashington/photos/?tab=album&album_id=739303042874666

Fishing was pretty slow.  The water has a green algae layer on top. Not uncommon this time of year when the weather is hot.  I stayed at Mardon Resort one night and launched there on Weds.  Working the rocks along the face of O'Sullivan Dam I picked up a few smallmouth trolling a bottom walker/worm harness spinner.  I worked my way out to Goose Island.  Couldn't pick up any fish around there. I ended up switching to a crank bait on lead core line and skimmed the bottom on my way to the State Park.  I picked up an 18" walleye and a 12" perch. 

Most of the boats are fishing off the state park.  It's an easy paddle and closer to the opening of the dunes.  If you haven't fished Potholes before most of it is sandy bottom.  Dragging bottom walkers and spinners is what most guys are using for walleye.  If you're fishing smallmouth, you'll want to be closer to the dam or rock islands.  Largemouth are found more back near the dunes. 

They are still letting water out of the dam so it is gradually dropping.  The locals say the fishing gets better when the water drops.  I'll watch for reports and try to keep you all posted.  Tom Pollack usually posts a Potholes report on Weds at www.salmonuniversity.com .  I'll likely launch from Mardon unless there are better reports up the lake.  Launching at the state park (with a boat trailer) is $7 and will save you some paddle time.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Thanks for the heads up.  Tried some COHO fishing in lake WA.  There is a great launch at Houghton Beach Park just north of the 520 bridge.  I was able to back right up and put the trailer wheels on sand.  Tough fishing that end in 20 MPH wind.

Still likely to put in at Mardon's early Saturday morning and leave the Carol's kayak on the trailer for her when she leaves the bunkhouse.  Will check with the resort on Wednesday/Thursday

Trident 13

• Salmon
Ballardbrad and jpodyssey,
I mentioned we're booked in the bunkhouse at mardon.  Brad and I have exchanged texted and will likely meet up at the local watering hole when we arrive, hopefully about 7 PM.
As mentioned I'l put in in Mardon so my wife can drop her's off the trailer later.  Trying to watch reports and it seems like there's bass more toward the dam where jpod might put in and more walleye toward the state park area.  Brad has my # and I'll PM it to jpod.  Looking forward to it. Have some gear along but am assured I can purchase the local ear there and always try to support those were i stay.  Brad said he might head over earlier so just wanted to finalize the plans.  We do have our blankets packed, lol.

ballardbrad

• Salmon
I'll be heading over Friday. I'm also staying at Mardon in the bunkhouse.  The local watering hole is "Mike's Place". It's right next to the gas station on the road in.  Walleye gear (and worms) is available at that gas station or at Mardon.

Smallmouth can be found along the rocky dam area and around the islands.  When the walleye move in they will be there too.  It's rocky and can be snaggy so be prepared to hook into bottom.  The upside is that not a ton of people fish that area because of that.  Most of are trolling the sandy bottoms looking for drop offs and peaks.

The reports I've been seeing is that they have moved out of the dunes area which has put most of the better fishing in front of the state park and along the opposite shore near Medicare Beach.  When I was there last week they were dropping "artificial reefs" of assembled PVC tubing and plastic mesh.  The idea is that smaller fish can stay protected in there.