Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 2016 SlayRide Nov 12  (Read 10982 times)

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009

Sorry for the late post. Thanks to all who have been patiently waiting for final word!

Where? Hoodsport, WA
When? Nov 12

Due to busy schedules we didn't have time to plan our standard big ballin table of prizes plus kayak. Instead, we'll be doing a 50/50 cash derby. Keeping it simple and fun this year!  $30 buy in with cash prizes for 1st through 3rd place. Part of that proceed will also help fund the potluc

So mark your calendars for Nov 12! Good food, and good fun are guaranteed! We will be doing a Potluck Dinner on Saturday night. If you are planning on attending, please let us know what you will be bringing. The IGA Grocery store in town also has a deli if you would like to purchase something to bring, if you are too busy fishing to make a dish. The rest is up to you

Same rules as last year. It will be judged on a combined weight of a 4 fish Bag Limit. All fish must be turned in no later than 3pm on the day of the tournament. Please dress appropriately for the weather/temps, it will be cold by this date.

Waivers must be turned in and fee must be paid prior to launching or you will not be eligible. We will be at IGA Supermarket parking lot in town (Hoodsport, WA) until 8am to drop off your waivers/fees if you were not able to mail them in before Nov. 1st, I must receive these no later than Nov. 4, 2016. If you pay and send in waivers in advance, you will not need to check in with us prior to launching.

Here is the Waiver below, feel free to fill out a copy and email to me or mail it in with your payment. I apologize for not having a Paypal button set up for paying your tournament fee. You can send payment via Paypal to dino@northwestkayakanglers.com (select sending to friend and just put in the memo "SlayRide". Paypal or Cash is the preferred method. But, if you are mailing in a check or money order. Please make it Payable to Dino Abulencia and put in the memo "SlayRide Derby". You can also email me a copy of your filled out/signed waivers to dino@northwestkayakanglers.com.

Some of us will be staying over Friday night at Sunrise Motel and you can turn in your waivers and fee payment then. Thanks and hope to see a bunch of you guys.

On that Friday before the tournament (11-11-16 Veteran's Day), we will be having a small HOW event for 6 to 8 Vets. If you are planning to come out on Friday to Prefish, come by and say hi.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:46:07 PM by islandson671 »
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Sweet, count me in.

smokeyangler

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
+1, unless the pass is closed.
2014 Hobie PA 14
2015 Hobie Outback

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Would love to make this event if I am able, I will have no clue what I am doing but will figure it out.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
On a Side Note...If anyone that is planning on joining in on the SlayRide Derby and is interested in sponsoring one of our Heroes On the Water Vets to join in on the Derby, please email us at nwest@heroesonthewater.org

Do not send any sponsorship payments until after checking back with us, thanks.

Merz

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Would love to make this event if I am able, I will have no clue what I am doing but will figure it out.

Same here. Can someone share some basic info for those of us who have never targeted Chum? What type of gear, rig, bait, etc. Thanks. Hoping I can make it up. Only a 6 hour drive. Closer than I thought actually.
-Evan
1st 2016 AOTY
1st 2018 SBAOTD
1st 2019 BCS
1st 2022 SBAOTD
1st 2023 BCS
1st 2023 OKBF Davis Lake Flying Kayak Open
1st 2023 SBAOTD

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Twitching jigs similar to coho style twitching. Herring or anchovy under a bobber (adjustable depth). Casting Spinners also works. Carolina rigged setup of Wicked Lures are also good. I have also seen guys flossing them using similar corky and yarn setups just doing a casting and slow retrieve.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FYI...The PBs were doing great this past Saturday on Anchovy under a bobber. We'll be out there trying it out this Sunday.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I may be able to make it this year. I am almost out of my 2013 smoked chum.  I wonder why it has taken me so long to eat??

polyangler

• Sturgeon
On a Side Note...If anyone that is planning on joining in on the SlayRide Derby and is interested in sponsoring one of our Heroes On the Water Vets to join in on the Derby, please email us at nwest@heroesonthewater.org

Do not send any sponsorship payments until after checking back with us, thanks.

Same here. Can someone share some basic info for those of us who have never targeted Chum? What type of gear, rig, bait, etc. Thanks. Hoping I can make it up. Only a 6 hour drive. Closer than I thought actually.
Jigs, jigs, and jigs! Anchovies under a bobber, and flies work great under normal pressure, but not as well with 100 kayaks chucking gear. Here's one of a few twitching jigs I spun up tonight with chum in mind.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Merz

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Thanks guys. Jigs it is. Was about to tie up some Steelhead jigs anyway.
-Evan
1st 2016 AOTY
1st 2018 SBAOTD
1st 2019 BCS
1st 2022 SBAOTD
1st 2023 BCS
1st 2023 OKBF Davis Lake Flying Kayak Open
1st 2023 SBAOTD

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I have to check with the Mrs, the next day is an important date for us. I also might have to travel for work around then. Regardless, very interested. :)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Looks like a good date for me and I'm planning on it.  Whats an anticipated start time?  Trying to decide to drive around or spend the night close.

After looking at Polyanglers jig, might have to dissassemble the cats hanging toy!  Looks like a float above pink or greenish colored jibs and holding them about a foot off the bottom or at the level they're showing on the DS?  This video seems like a sample:

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
1 hr before sun up is typically the start time based on WDFW rules.

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Fyi. There is a huge bunk house with 2 showers/restrooms available if anyone is planning to stay over Friday and Saturday night after the tournament. A bunch of us stay back to fish again Sunday morning. I'll post prices and availability tonight. They also have normal rooms available if you have buddies to split it with or family you are bringing.

The big Dorm/Bunk House is $60 per person for the weekend and they have rooms ranging from $79 to $89 per night. You guys can call and speak to Frank at the Sunrise Motel 360-877-5301 for more details.

Address: Sunrise Motel, 24520 US-101, Hoodsport, WA 98548

polyangler

• Sturgeon

Looks like a float above pink or greenish colored jibs and holding them about a foot off the bottom or at the level they're showing on the DS

Jigs under a bobber can be lethal for sure, but in this area I twitch 3/8 - 1/2 jigs. No sonar required either. You'll see the schools EVERYWHERE. Similar to what you saw the coho doing in West Olympia, but higher numbers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk