Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:12:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Garibaldi kayak dock CAD designer needed  (Read 5279 times)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I spoke with Michael Saindon (port manager) and were a go for implementing the dock planning. The port is kicking around the idea of putting it (photos) on the inside of the transient dock, for those not familiar that's the existing dock on the same lot we park in just farther down. My $0.02 is not going to be used for ADA because you can't park a trailer down there, if it's on the inside of the dock you will need to come back and around the east end to get into the channel.
 If they put in pilings they need to pull expensive permits, and that takes 1.5 years to get approved. They can't pave within a set distance from the water. What we were discussing was the possibility of an ADA platform in the existing lot to attach a gangway , then have a floating "anchored" dock that the kayak launch could be affixed to.
  The marine board engineer will likely be the one drawing up the design and plans for this project. We (Michael & I) are open to others thoughts and ideas. I would like to have a good turnout of members on the ground for this meeting to show we have a interest in this project and want to be involved with the planning. This meeting will be in field and weather and tides permitting we fish  :headbang: ! Michael will update me with the date and time and I will confirm weekly to be sure we don't get a last minute change.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Do we want a dock ? Seems to me a paved ramp is what we want. Should be cheaper and easier.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Do we want a dock ? Seems to me a paved ramp is what we want. Should be cheaper and easier.
They would need to pull permits that cost $$$$$ and take a loooooong time

Shannon

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I thought you wanted to just improve the existing launch itself?

When I launched my Island off the gravel ramp behind that silly log, I mentioned that all it needed was for the course rock base to be extended further into the water to reduce the mud factor at low tide, and then topped with 3/4 minus to fill in the bigger voids.  Yearly touch up with more gravel is about all it would ever need.

If you are looking more along the lines of a launch dock for the HOW events, I get that too.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

When I launched my Island off the gravel ramp behind that silly log, I mentioned that all it needed was for the course rock base to be extended further into the water to reduce the mud factor at low tide, and then topped with 3/4 minus to fill in the bigger voids.  Yearly touch up with more gravel is about all it would ever need.

If you are looking more along the lines of a launch dock for the HOW events, I get that too.
Well since the marine board is funding ADA docks that will get extra funding from the state, also just to place rock of any kind into even upto the water they have to pull permits and go through a shit load of surveys and red tape to make sure they don't adversely effect the environment.... kinda like all the red tape does!

Edit
I told them we would be good with just asphalt to the waters edge and cement blocks to the low tide mark..... answer....about $10,000 in surveys and permits that take about 2-3 years.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:06:40 PM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

The rock base/gravel that is there was supposed to be temporary while they repaired the dock. It is supposed to all be removed at the completion of the repair leaving just the natural mud bank.  They have been stalling that removal saying they are still doing repairs, but that argument likely wont last much longer.

I know some people cart their kayaks down the ramp to the transient dock and launch from there now.  Maybe someone could try that again to see what it would take to improve that to make launching there easier.  Possibly widening the ramp a bit.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

The rock base/gravel that is there was supposed to be temporary while they repaired the dock. It is supposed to all be removed at the completion of the repair leaving just the natural mud bank.  They have been stalling that removal saying they are still doing repairs, but that argument likely wont last much longer.

I know some people cart their kayaks down the ramp to the transient dock and launch from there now.  Maybe someone could try that again to see what it would take to improve that to make launching there easier.  Possibly widening the ramp a bit.
They did widen they with a nice ADA gangway unfortunately for an ADA kayaker with a trailer there's not enough room to park down there. They want to put the kayak launch down on that dock but even if they do I'll still use the mud bank launch. Other option is put it on the powerboat side and listen to all them bitch about us being in the way and taking "there" trailer parking. Let's keep the ideas and opinions flying and get as many guys " boots on the ground" while there here.

Shannon

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
So, if they widen the ramp down to the transient dock, and make getting onto the ramp super easy (if not already), as well as add the ADA dock straight off the north end of the ramp then this would be a pretty good start. 

Then, how hard would it be for them to purchase or use the grass area across from the diagonal parking for kayak trailers to park? Put in diagonal pull throughs and put in a turn around at the end so a guy could drive down and turn around to get back out. 

What is the big parking area and building to the east side of this area?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013

Ive only launched once from garibaldi, so I'm probably not qualified to voice an opinion. FWIW, I'd like to see a ramp (even just sloped packed gravel to the low tide mud line) instead of a dock.  Those huge boulders behind the fish station require two people to get a kayak to the water - so the launch needs to be something easily done by one person, but able to handle many simultaneous launches. 

Kayaks on a cart down a sloped bank are a pretty fast way to launch (even when shared with power boaters). Having a one bay dock will not be a very fast launch for multiple kayaks. Once a person decides they forgot something in the car it'll back-up the next guy trying to launch. A 3bay dock launch would be minimum.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Barb, We would be able to launch 3 at a time, one in the middle and one off either side. The dock will be low profile for easy on and off.
INSAYN, they already own that but put a big tent up there and use the grass area as there event rental area with the $10,000 circus tent they have. Trailers just won't be able to get close enough to use that without wheel carts and some help for the disabled.

Shannon

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Ok, here is another idea.

Purchase the ADA kayak dock piece and attach is somewhere on the transient dock. 
Get this established right away so it can begin being used and noticed and maybe draw some additional guvment funding. 

Then, have the port start design plans and pull whatever permits needed to actually build a stand alone kayak launch near the fish cleaning station so trailers can park nearby.  In the mean time the transient dock can be used as the ADA launch or anyone else for that matter. 

Jump ahead 1-2 years later once all the red tape, design and bureaucratic mumbo jumbo is dialed in, they can then build the stand alone unit, and move the ADA dock from the transient dock over to the new kayak specific launch area.   

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Ok, here is another idea.

Purchase the ADA kayak dock piece and attach is somewhere on the transient dock. 
Get this established right away so it can begin being used and noticed and maybe draw some additional guvment funding. 

Then, have the port start design plans and pull whatever permits needed to actually build a stand alone kayak launch near the fish cleaning station so trailers can park nearby.  In the mean time the transient dock can be used as the ADA launch or anyone else for that matter. 

Jump ahead 1-2 years later once all the red tape, design and bureaucratic mumbo jumbo is dialed in, they can then build the stand alone unit, and move the ADA dock from the transient dock over to the new kayak specific launch area.
If the dock can be anchored on the ground where the asphalt currently is by building a raised gangway anchor point and then the Water end of the dock just floating and "anchored" to the bottom on big blocks then no lengthy permits would be required just a county building "easy peasy" permit that they pull all the time. Then simply attach the AFA dock to the floating section and if foul weather dictates it they can simply pull it on a trailer and stick it in there storage yard 209 yards away. Does that make sense?

Shannon

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Had a one on one meeting with Michael Saindon (port manger) today on the ground where we launch. We have two ideas for an ADA kayak launch but we're both thinking it will be beneficial to pull the permits to put pilings in and build a decent platform for the ramp to attach to. That means it will likely be a 2018 or 2019 project, pending how fast we get it on paper which leads to.....

Big question..... Is anyone on here proficient in CAD drafting and willing to get the ideas on paper. If so shoot me an email or PM so we can get the drafting going.

Shannon

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Any takers on helping get the dock idea on paper, doesn't have to be super high tech or CAD, even just a computer drawing will work and help get the paddle (so to speak) moving faster on pulling permits and getting a decent launch set up.

Shannon

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Seems to me if you can get the permits through, what we really want is a concrete ramp just like the power boaters have, one lane wide at the bottom would allow 2-3 launches at a time, put pilings in for the ADA platform, then police it from pb users.

If the pb ramp can be concrete into the water, why can't ours ?
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

anything