Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:31:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Homer Winter King Derby results  (Read 5630 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Well I wonder how many kayaks we will have given the date change?  I hear the powerboats are having a hard time finding fish.  I have heard from several folks that they are having better luck deeper.  I won't be using a downrigger so I may have to change up some tactics.  Likely be switching between 7oz Deep Six Divers and weights from 12 oz to 24 oz.  We will be ditching the flashers for the deep fishing to reduce drag. 

Any fish will be a good fish this weekend.  But despite's the likely smaller turnout all around, it certainly ups the odds if you can get lucky to land a fish.  If the wind forecast holds, its going to be chilly despite the warmer temps. 

I will be at the lands end hotel starting Friday evening.  Staying through Sunday afternoon. 

Good luck to everyone!

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Looks like its going to be more or less a "normal" tournament afterall this year. I don't know how many individual anglers are registered but as of 0001 Friday morning there was a total of 202 boats registered. That included the kayak anglers as boats too.
I'm sure there will be a fair number of last minute sign ups that were holding out for a last minute check of the weather forecast and harbor conditions before committing.

I tried to figure out individual kayak anglers but am not familiar with given names so a ball park WAG at this time was maybe 10 so far as some individual names listed may have been guys with power boats with no name.

Besides the temperature factor it looks like it might be one of the lowest catch rates based on fishing from last weekend to present. Fish are definitely not holding and not schooling in concentrations. Here today, gone tomorrow. One fish on a PB is a good day as others come back with the skunk. There will probably be a ton of ambulance chasers picking up and heading to the latest "hot bite" on the radio. Probably the worst tactic you can do. Every minute the hook ain't in the water is a lost opportunity.

Good luck to the poly fleet. Kick some butt. It would probably be a good idea for everyone to run their safety flag on their boats to give the 30 footers doing 30 knots coming around the end of the Spit a chance to spot you. Pretty easy to hide in the tough of a 3 foot boat wake until it may be too late. I've heard that a number of power boat skippers have voiced concerns over the safety issue of the kayakers off the Spit, primarily an issue with it being so difficult for a big power boat to navigate through a slalom course of kayakers when they are on step.

Hope everyone remains safe. I won't make it as project commitments have taken a priority getting ready for Kodiak this summer.  The Chamber will be posting weigh-ins in real time on their web page so those that can't make it can at least check the latest leader board standings. Weigh-ins begin at 2pm.  Would sure be nice to see a couple NWKA members in the Top Five.  :)
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Well I wonder how many kayaks we will have given the date change? 

Fishapalooza and me will be there! 
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

• Date Registered: Jun 2016
I plan on heading down early Saturday morning.  First trip of the year.  Excited about hopefully catching a salmon on the kayak.  Good luck everyone

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Good luck to everybody fishing the derby this weekend. Based on the slow reports and the trip I made a couple weeks ago, I'll be saving the gas money and entrance fee this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Low_Sky, that sounds smart. I fished yesterday afternoon and got skunked again. Monday and yesterday I ran into big swells and areas that made me feel like I was in a washing machine[emoji13]. The only really protected areas were right off the spit.....no fish there[emoji45].  I'm going to get out there again for a little bit today. I've already paid my entry fee, so I'll be fishing on Saturday. Looking forward to the camaraderie and exercise[emoji16].

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Well I'm on the spit. I got out for a few hours before and after high tide and didn't so much as see a mark on the finder. Took a break when it started whitecapping but will get back to it this evening if it lays down a bit...

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Ditto what AK Trapper said! I'm not going back out this evening. After fishing yesterday and today, my legs need a rest before tomorrow. The big swells I experienced Monday and yesterday were gone, replaced by white caps. I'll take the white caps over the swells any day.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Hmmm. Its going to be tough for sure. But Matt gave me hope last weekend.  It only takes one good fish. The great fishing will come later this spring.  Cooper Landing now.

This winter fishing is for FORTUNE and GLORY!!!  And that NEVER comes easy!!! 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

gravesjacob

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Me and John will be there in the morning, however I didn't enter the derby this year. Observing the lack of fish the last two weekends I decided to conserve money for the fishing trips we have planned for this summer (lots of water taxies involved). I'm also making a trip to Texas soon and I'm being pressured to bring halibut so that's what I'll be after.

To everyone fishing the derby may the odds be in your favor. The few sources I have that have been fishing homer lately are saying go deep.
2017 Hobie Outback
Halibut Whisperer
13th place Homer King Derby 2016

2019 hobie outback

leith010

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Good luck everyone!  Wish I could be there. FYI, my salmon last weekend had only 3-4 shrimp in their bellies. 

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Good luck all you hardy souls. Looking out at the beautiful sunshine makes me wish I were there. Looking at my thermometer at 3 below, makes me happy to putter around the garage.

I am looking forward to the fishing reports for the day.

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I've been watching the Homer cams. Looks like y'all had a beautiful day for fishing.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Outfished by the pro again. Arghh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
WOW, a family affair. Nice going TEAM TSUKADA.  No doubt RYU is in the running for best kayak and Under 18 awards and maybe a money fish too. Dad didn't do so bad either. Will be interesting to see the final results. You guys might be reely celebrating tonight.

Congrats to both of you for an outstanding job well done. Still an hour and a half of fishing time left for getting a bigger one!   :)
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

anything