Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:59:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 05:23:17 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: kayak leg straps  (Read 5374 times)

Hydrospider

Pinstriper,
Ive used the straps on my river boats on many occasions and there is no doubt that there is an increased competency. Before I "upgraded" to my current river runner (JK Coosa) I was using them on the Malibu Mini-X and the difference can be crucial. I haven't used them on the Coosa, yet. I need to test them with the lawn chair on flat water before my next river trip. Ive seen straps used on the Coosa but only in the low position.
Also, before I attempt any high position bracing, I need to purchase a 260cm paddle.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:43:50 PM by Hydrospider »

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Why the preference for the Seals?  They're very similar from the pics, aside from the length of the strap.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Hydrospider

The shock cord strap (on the left) absorbs some of the energy of the driving knee, my leg pulls away from the boat, and then my paddle dives.
A deal breaker if you're trying roll a big SOT or manage big hydrology, but for a fishing trip, I might want take the old Ocean Kayak straps. All day comfortable and still offering all of the practical advantages.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:47:47 PM by Hydrospider »

DARice

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I considered straps an essential part of my rigging for ocean trips with my Scupper Pro and Royak (an early round bottom narrow beam kayak). I never tried rolling, but a good brace and straps kept me upright instead of swimming many times playing in the surf or in marginal conditions paddling to a dive spot. Even though I paddle my Revo13 through the surf zone except in the most tame conditions, I've decided not to install them for now, but I'm probably one spin cycle away from doing so.

Hydrospider

Thanks for all of the strong contributions to the thread. I was impressed by the interest from Hobie pedal drive users. The surf busting power and the boat connection really are significant bonuses for launch and exit. Then you still have the option to take them off and pedal on with your day. Sounds smart.
Using them to fish the pacific and on creeks and rivers is probably going to be standard for me now.
Lazy days on the lakes, probably not, unless Im going to work on skills.

I did take a strong look at what I thought were the associated risks/inconveniences.

2 more giant hook magnets in the workspace.
The added workspace clutter and general snag potential.
Human/gear/boat entanglement in the surf zone or rock garden.

There are also the lesser irritations, like installing pad eyes on boats where designers didn't believe that there was interest and the skill and composure developed through time on the water that is not about fishing.

If anyone can think of any other potential negatives, please share them.

I have always believed that I had a reasonably clear and safe kayak workspace.
Looking at this picture and visualizing it with leg straps is convincing that there IS potential for a tangled mess.
While the leg straps are "safe" there is the cumulative hazard when considering the bowline, rod leashes, and fishing tackle.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:40:41 PM by Hydrospider »

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
When I'm out past the surf zone, I sometimes take my thigh straps off and stuff them inside my kayak.  It only takes a couple minutes to pull them out and clip them back on.  Or sometimes I unhook the front of the straps and stuff them behind my seat, leaving them attached at the rear.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:43:57 AM by pmmpete »

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Every time I make a surf exit I tell myself I gotta get some leg straps. This thread has convinced me to do it today. Thanks for all the info.

Hydrospider

PNW, I hope that you are enjoying the connection and control that the straps offer.

I tried using them in the elevated position on a lawn chair equipped boat (JK Coosa) and I don't think that its the answer this time. At least not for me. But I definitely need something for my river/creek runner and the lawn chair.

Im thinking about using wave ski stirrups or Kite boarding foot straps.
Has anyone used these before on a fishing SOT?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:49:04 PM by Hydrospider »

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Not yet, but that's a good thought.  What's the issue with the straps in the chair yak?  Too high up to be effective?
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Not on a kayak but on a waveski. I'm not sure they would help much as a standalone system on a heavy boat. Combined with thigh straps and the light weight of a waveski they did help with directional control. Mostly they help maintain a secure hold when turning hard(way harder than a fishing boat is capable of) and when rolling or getting tossed in the air by waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydrospider

Not yet, but that's a good thought.  What's the issue with the straps in the chair yak?  Too high up to be effective?

The straps are fine used with a lawn chair in the low position, but using the straps in the elevated position is not comfortable for me.
My legs are bent more, my feet are flat on the deck, and straps have a steeper angle and a deeper grip on my legs. Maybe too deep. The escape is not as smooth. And, it just kind of gave me the creeps.

I really enjoy the elevated position when fishing and keep the chair riding high as much as conditions and my skill set will allow. That high CoG has some obvious negatives and I'm hoping that the foot straps will help keep me in the boat.

Here is a short video where legs straps or stirrups may have been helpful.
My apologies for the wave segments lower quality.
I was using 2 different cameras that day and had a setting bungle on the hand held..

Anyway, this was my first day on the JK Coosa, using their first gen chair, and it was SLIPPERY.
I had the GoPro mounted on the right side of the boat and was trying to get the camera to follow dan through the wave. It cost me a swim and a cold intro to the lawn chair style.
00:35 I am swimming.
00:39 recovered and wiser.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:07:17 AM by Hydrospider »

Hydrospider

Moving forward with this project.
 Just need to do the homework.
So far, kite boarding seems to have the broadest selection of what Im interested in.

anything