Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:49:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Whiskey Gulch -Anchor Pt Conservation Zone Waypoints  (Read 2120 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I'll begin by stating that having read every Alaska regional sportfishing booklet multiple times each year, there is not one place in the state that has a more complicated and confusing set of regulations than the ADFG King Salmon Conservation Zones established along the beaches of the Kenai Peninsula. With that in mind and with a growing population of saltwater kayakers joining the ranks with the "old salts" its probably time to clear the air (water) about how the regulations will impact kayakers as well as power boat anglers.

EDIT CORRECTION MADE 4-15-17
Hey, as I mentioned above this section of Cook Inlet regulations is not user friendly and there was a bit of the map that didn't make logical sense after assembling it. So I revisited the ADFG News Release announcing the Board of Fish adopted changes to get some clarification and made a couple minor changes in the map information.

First, the Closed Zone around the mouth of all lower Cook Inlet streams in Red (Anchor, Stariski, Deep, Ninilchik) is closed to ALL fishing from April 1st through JULY 15th (not June 30).

Second, there is no longer a one mile wide conservation zone in the area outside of the Red closed zones now. All waters of Cook Inlet from Bluff Point to Ninilchik River outside of the closed areas have the same regulation now. You can retain one king salmon ≥20” per day, you may not continue to fish for king salmon for the remainder of the day, but you MAY fish for bottomfish.

These two modifications are now shown correctly on the map.

• All Red Closed Zone areas are one mile wide measured from mean high tide line to deep water.
• The Anchor River mouth & Stariski Creek mouth Closed Zones are closed to ALL fishing from April 1 thru JULY 15. Even from the beach. This is the area you want to make sure you are not dragging a hook if you drift or navigate into it. The Red Zone on the map.
• ADFG has posted big Marker signs on the beach above high tide line marking the endpoints of each closed zone.
• The one mile wide measurement from the ADFG Markers follows the Latitude Line of the shoreline marker. Because the beach does not run exactly North & South the one mile out waypoint will be slightly south from perpendicular to the beach marker location.
• You will see the ADFG beach and offshore waypoints have the same Latitude value at Anchor Point North and also for the Stariski Creek South locations.
• The Green Zone on this map allows king salmon fishing 24/7 throughout the summer. The only restriction is once an angler retains a king salmon ≥20" they cannot fish for king salmon for the rest of the day. By new regulation you are now allowed to fish for any other fish, i.e. halibut, cod, rockfish. (Thanks Rudy for that proposal.)
• If you were on a power boat with 2 or more anglers, the angler retaining a king must retire his rod if other anglers continue to fish for king salmon. Similar to Kenai River regs. Once the boat discontinues fishing for king salmon everyone may fish for bottomfish. (Note: the argument that you were "trolling for halibut" after you kept a king while your buddies continue to king fish could land you a ticket.)
• Because the Anchor River closed zone is much closer to your Whiskey Gulch launch point you are more likely to "cross the line" when drifting or navigating in a southerly direction than if you are heading north up the beach.
• From Whiskey Gulch launch to Anchor River closed marker is ≈1.33 miles. From WG launch to Stariski Creek closed marker is ≈3.52 miles so you have a lot more water to cover.

USING THIS DATA: (suggestion)
• Add waypoints to your GPS capable device with labels that identify the Beach Sign locations and the one mile offshore location from the sign. This gives you a width distance and boundary line to keep you out of the closed zones.
• You can add the Whiskey Gulch waypoint I provide or "Save Waypoint" on your device when you get ready to launch. Then you will have a point to use as a reference for determining how far from the WG launch you are, displaying ETA back to launch site based on current speed if you are returning, and how far you have traveled during your fishing.
• If you have electronic marine charts on your device you have other options for measuring distances between points, etc.
• In a related WG post Rudy posted the NOAA currents prediction calculation information. It is an excellent tool for eliminating a lot of navigational "surprises" when you find your movements and position not fitting what you expected. Thanks Rudy, that is going to save more than a few "new to the area" kayakers from a hard workout to get home if they pay attention to expectations.
    - This is the complete listing of the NOAA current predictions locations for Alaska. Scroll down to COOK INLET for locations all along the Peninsula's beaches.  If you are down in Homer or across Kbay you can choose locations fitting for those areas too. https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaacurrents/Stations?g=693
• Note that WIND can greatly impact your position and/or headway during navigation. Be prepared to adjust for that.

(This included link is a PDF file of the map which allows resizing for reading details easier if needed. http://klondikekid.com/NWKAimages/17WhiskeyGulch-AnchorPtZoneWaypointsMOD.pdf)

Stay Legal, Stay Safe, and Learn To Return~!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:57:53 AM by Klondike Kid »
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Woohoo!  You rock KK!!!  sneaking peeks at work but this looks awesome!! THANK YOU!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Woohoo!  You rock KK!!!  sneaking peeks at work but this looks awesome!! THANK YOU!

Actually, to be truthful, I made this up just for myself because although I've spent time on power boats fishing these waters, I will be an absolute noob in my kayak this season for WG. I don't mind telling tales around the campfire of "entertaining" experiences in my life but I try to avoid the horror stories of "I barely made it back alive" sort of topics. LOL  Just figured others might benefit too. 

I'm still ordering more electronics and gear for a second boat as well as adding a boatload of tackle to my arsenal in preparation for Kodiak this summer. Got a F&G/USFW/DNR meeting at CIAA this evening on the Elodea invasive species problem found at Sport Lake this winter that needs to be crushed before it spreads from boat trailers to other lakes.  Then Thursday the foremost biologist for arctic char/Dolly varden (retired but can't quit the "biz" just like me) will be presenting a load of information at the F&G office that I don't want to miss. Its nice to have an open invite to such things.  :)
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Very helpful information, thanks for taking the time to post it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

erickblim

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
Super helpful! Thanks!

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Thanks for the info!!!!

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Thanks for the run down, KK. Folks, if you have a chart plotter and haven't figured out how to create waypoints and tracks on your computer and import them to the FF, it's well worth learning how to do. With the reg changes, my Cook Inlet conservation area file is out of date and I won't be fixing it this year, but if you're savvy with Google Earth it's not hard to do yourself. There's no substitute to being able to look down at your plotter and recognize instantly where you are with respect to the boundaries.

2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

anything