Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:11:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Anyone headed out for Halibut off of Whidbey?  (Read 2782 times)

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Went to a seminar today, Mutiny and Useless bay were suggested as good small-craft locations. I haven't fished for halibut yet, but some of my gear from Florida bottom fishing is suitable. Basically just need the appropriate bait and harpoon. Since this is a big, powerful fish, and I'm not familiar with the area I am hoping to find another like-minded soul. :)

THEFILTHYOAR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
useless bay is a bear to launch at, make sure its high tide when you launch an come back. and if its not make sure you have tires for sand!
Its a beast of drag without the right tires on the cart. Also there is stairs you have to go down with the boat.. useless bay ive heard holds halibut , its just the work getting into the water.

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Unfortunately I'm busy, or working the 3 confirmed halibut dates this year. If wdfw opens it on May 21st, I'd be up for it. I need to get my first halibut blood on my kayak. Muteny bay looks like an easier launch, and I've heard there can big big halibut caught there. PM me if you want to plan it out.
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnomodom

• Lingcod
If it does open up later I might be able to, but I have some travel around that time. I'll PM you some details if it looks like I'll be able to. I'll also send some PMs around to see if anyone else is interested. If I can get some solid plans sorted I'll  go out and buy some extra bigass jigs and a harpoon.

witty1

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I live on Whidbey... I'd be willing to join ya.

I've never gone for Halibut on the island before either...

gnomodom

• Lingcod
Awesome.. What I'll do it hit the store this weekend and pick up some stuff and send out some PMs. There is another thread just titled 'Halibut' that is talking about the exact spot as well.. Maybe there can be a little group of us. I also need to scope out the weather. I'll post up and send some PMs in the next day or two.

gnomodom

• Lingcod
Picked up a harpoon, a float and a few jigs. As long as the weather holds I'll be heading out I think.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I'll probably give it a go at Useless Bay on Saturday morning.  Going to a church men's retreat since the ocean is looking too rough for my tastes.  Bear of a job getting to the water or not, my time frame is likely dawn to 8:30AM or so.  Might hit it again in the evening if time allows.
2012 ORC 5th Place

gnomodom

• Lingcod
Welp. I'm sick and not going to be able to make it out tomorrow, will have to try a followup day. :-\

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Hoping no body got caught in the fog this morning, figures the first day of butt fishing would also be the first day of heavy fog.  Eager to hear if anyone went out.

andrews247

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I'll join in on this.

kayak pete

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2017
I fished the better part of the day. I launched my kayak into Mutiny Bay around 7:00 am.  It was a gorgeous and calm morning after the fog cleared, (i got a nice sunburn!).  No halibut. I was fishing with some big herring, no luck, so I switched to squid. The only problem with squid was that I hooked onto  flounder within seconds of hitting the bottom, every time! Normally, that wouldn't be unwelcomed, but since it was a day for halibut, I switched back to herring and like I said, no luck... I had turn to turn in as the thunder and lightning started to roll in.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Was wondering if anyone went out and if they got off the water before the poop hit the fan in the afternoon.  That came up pretty quick.  Would be curious to know if any of the theories of currents, drifting, etc.  discussed in earlier posts actually happened or what you experienced out on the water.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I drug a herring around Useless Bay for a few hours Saturday morning.  No luck on halibut.  Thought I felt one tug, and next time I reeled up the herring was gone.  More likely a dogfish than a halibut, but who knows?
2012 ORC 5th Place

anything