Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:53:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Garmin Striker 5 DV  (Read 2080 times)

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Rockfish
  • The Art and Science of Fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I have been using an Eagle 250 and Eagle 350 FF/GPS combo for over 12 years. Over that period of time, other FF's came and went, Hummingbird, Lowrance to name a few. All of them had issues and eventually died but my Eagles kept on going strong even though i subjected to extreme saltwater punishment in the surf zone. The problem with the Eagles is they max out around 200' and I have some deepwater adventures coming up. Decided to upgrade to something more powerful. I refuse to pay more than $300 for a FF and found the Garmin Striker 5 DV for $250 right in my price range. It is currently discontinued so retailers are discounting them.

Installation was straightforward except they didn't explain what to do with the extra wires. Actually there is very little instructions at all that came with the unit so if this is your first install, better to get some help. I used a 5 amp LiPo4 battery in a dry box mounted to the center hatch and a water bath shoot through transducer installation in the forward hatch. It will be interesting to see what the battery run time is. That transducer is one massive SOB. I added a folding handle to the transducer to make it easier to push it into place and remove. The display module is mounted on a RAM mount.

Tested it on Lacamas Lake today and was very impressed with the sonar capabilities. I don't think the DV imaging adds much for the type of fishing I do. I really liked the split screen traditional dual frequency display. I have owned a lot of Garmin GPS devices and have had a mixed experience with regard to durability, software, maps and customer support. The Garmin Striker 5 DV appears to be well made but only time will tell. The internet reviews on this product are better than average. Because it is discontinued, you should be able to get one for $200-$250. It doesn't come with cartography and it is not possible to add maps or download waypoints which is the downside of the unit, but it also eliminates a possible place for water intrusion. If you are looking for sonar, check it out.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:11:40 PM by Great Bass 2 »
Heroes on the Water Guide
O.K. Malibu 2XL
Hobie Adventure Island
Eddyline Caribbean 12
No Sponsors, Not Prostaff, Just Fishin

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I mounted a Striker 4dv on my Outback last fall. The transducer fits perfect in the Lowrance Ready alcove by using a small mounting block to secure it to the hull plate supports. See Cuttin n Drillin search.

I just took possession of a new Striker 5dv on Wednesday. West Marine has them on sale for $199 and free shipping. I'll be swapping this larger unit (500 watt RMS peak to peak vs 300 watts on the 4dv) between my power boat and a second Outback. Both the 4dv and 5dv use the same transducer and power cable too.

About the "discontinuance" of the model: Actually the entire Striker series of DV (down vu) models are being renamed CV, standing for Clear Vu. All the specs for dv and cv models are identical.  It appears Garmin had a trademark infringement problem with the of Down Vu someone else owned and now have gone with Clear Vu. Nothing has changed on any of the models.

So indeed getting one of the DV models that are being sold at clearance prices to eliminate the retailers' inventory is a good time to get a great deal and not feel like you are buying obsolete. Its the same electronics and features as CV.

As far as the down vu usefulness, it does a great job defining weeds, branches, logs, and other structure but does a poor job marking fish in that mode. Running the down vu side by side with the standard sonar gives you the best of each features for a comparison.

I can get by running a 4.5ah gel cell on my 4dv but I'll be raising the ante on the 5dv on a kayak and go with a 7 or 8ah gel cell due to the higher power consumption.

Although you can't directly download waypoints and routes into the Striker series you can manually add as many waypoints as you want and create routes from them.  If you have two Strikers as I do they can apparently communicate with each other thru a data cable to swap waypoints back and forth. I'll have to try that later this summer.  That will make it easy for me to have a master unit for manual inputs and then dump them to the other unit to keep both sync'd.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

anything