Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:12:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:52:15 PM]

[Today at 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Neah Bay 4/24/17 report  (Read 2486 times)

• Date Registered: Mar 2016
Well after a week of bad weather, and having to work a ton of overtime i was finally able to get out on the water. My buddy and I launched at what use to be snow creek resort about a mile before Neah Bay. We launch at about 9am, and what a beautiful morning. under 2 foot swells with sub 5mph wind made the straight look like a lake. Unfortunately i had fish finder difficulties as my lowrance would not power on to save my life, even tried my back up battery to no avail. That was not to discourage use as we were determined to get some fish. We got out on the water and instantly got on fish. We ended up leaving with 3 lings 11 bass 2 grenlings. All in all a good day, and as a bonus a pod of orcas put on a Ariel show about 50 yards in front of us. The go pro footage should be nice when i get time to edit and upload.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Nice morning work and with a bonus!  Do you park near the little bay and drop in by the pier?

I've tried cooking greenling several times and haven't gotten it down and end up with something more like white pate.  I tried soaking fillets in milk to try to firm them up.
Once fellow mentioned they are great on the smoker, but...just wondering if you do anything special with them?  Just seems like a different type of meat vs any other white fish or flounder.

• Date Registered: Mar 2016
@Trident 13

I actually cant tell the difference between most bottom fish. Halibut, Ling cod, Bass, Grenling all the same taste to me, but maybe i'm odd lol. I do smoke a lot of bottom fish though and if you haven't tried you definitely should. It is mighty tasty. I use a mix of alder/apple with a simple brown sugar overnight brine.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Nice! Looking forward to seeing the vid.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I've tried cooking greenling several times and haven't gotten it down and end up with something more like white pate.  I tried soaking fillets in milk to try to firm them up.

Try to cook them less. In my experience they are delicate and cook fast. I like the meat - like a mix between crab and bay shrimp.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Thanks, I'm used to cooking perch, pan fish and flounder about 30 seconds a side in lemon garlic butter and tried that, but the meat was almost translucent greenish and still soft.  I'll try them from time to time, but they were on ice out of the water...

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Hmmm... I've heard that from several people so either my wife knows something I don't or I've just gotten lucky. Maybe cook them more?  ???  ;D

DARice

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I love greenling. Cook it until it's flaky. For the bright blue or green fish, the flesh should turn completely white, just like ling cod.

For me, black rockfish aren't my favorite after freezing. Too bad because it's easy to fill the boat with them.

Dave

THEFILTHYOAR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
A friend of mine told me that for some reason you have to bleed and keep the greenling on ice, the other bottom fish doesn't matter, just something about the greenling. Ive noticed their flesh is a bit softer and easier to damage than other bottom species.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Just had some kelp greenling - rainbow perch ceviche. That process will firm up the flesh some.

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Here's the only good greenling recipe i've had so far:

In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and onion with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let stand for 10 minutes, then whisk in the honey, cilantro, mustard, garlic and 1/4 cup of the olive oil.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over high heat until just smoking. Add the jalapeno and cook, turning, until charred and blistered on all sides, about 2 minutes; let cool slightly. Slip off the charred skin. Discard the stem and cut the jalapeno in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and finely chop the jalapeno. Stir the jjalapeno into the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil over moderately high heat. Season the greenling fillets with salt and pepper and cook, turning once, until they are opaque throughout, about 8 minutes. Transfer the greenling to a platter. Whisk the vinaigrette, spoon it over the fish and serve with avocado wedges or watercress.

Throw the greenling in the trash, sear some lingcod and add to remaining ingredients.

>:D

THEFILTHYOAR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
Sell it to the chinese buffet . The salmon they sell is always a nice white color!

Tuj Bear

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2017