Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:27:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:33:08 AM]

[Today at 10:03:52 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Perception Pescador Pilot peddle kayak...  (Read 3820 times)

FilthyFuzz

• Herring
  • I’m lost, but I’m making good time!
  • Date Registered: May 2016
For any of you guys interested in the Perception Pescador Pilot peddle drive kayak, I just tried one at demo day in Morro Bay, CA.  This is a new model for Perception, introduced this year.  It has some nice features for the price ($1799 including drive and rudder, 85 lbs., 12.5 ft.) but Perception has already put out a "field service kit" to replace the drive and modify the bracket that holds the drive.  There were complaints of the prop slipping so they added lock nuts.  The down position lock pin could slide out so they drilled it and added a clevis pin.  Don't know if they changed anything inside the drive.  They raised the mounting bracket slightly, which raised the prop slightly higher in the stowed position, so the prop cover now fits a bit tight.  (The demo guy said he already told the company about it.)  There is a You Tube video out on this field service kit.  I tried the Pescador for about 15 minutes, in calm conditions, and liked it.  Very stable, smooth peddle, comfortable seat, very responsive rudder.  I liked it better than their only other demo peddle kayak, a Wilderness Radar, which is far more expensive.  Another guy testing the peddle kayaks, who runs a kayak tour business, said he also preferred the Pescador.  Another complaint on the Pescador is that the rod holders are too short and too wide.  I called Perception and told them that if they buttoned down these issues I thought they had a winner for the money, but, of course, the drive longevity is unknown.  Also, will the mounting bracket for the drive remain rock solid.  He said the 2018 models would probably come out around September but he didn't know when they would hit the stores.  Just my 2 cents for anyone considering this kayak.

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Nice writeup. I didn't get an opportunity to test one out, but when I was visiting family in Florida this past December I was able to check one out at West Marine. It looked like a pretty nice boat, a bit wide, but very well equipped out of the gate so there is basically no reason to cut or drill for any accessories.

I ended up going with a Hobie Revo 13 after giving it a good look over, and trying it out. I'm quite happy with the hobie, but I am suffering a bit with analysis paralysis since I have yet to install the gear tracks I picked up for it as I am not 100% certain where I'm going to put them.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
FilthyFuzz: Perception peddles kayaks, you pedal kayaks.

Gnomodom: install those gear tracks on the gunwales in front of the mesh pockets.  You want your fish finder in front of you where you can see it, and close enough to you so you can see the screen clearly and operate its controls without stretching way forward.  You want your trolling rod holder mounted in in front of you so you can monitor the tip of your rod for strikes, and close enough to you so you can grab it out of the rod holder when you get a strike without stretching way forward.  I install my rod holder low on the left gunwale of my Revolution with the rod pointing right and positioned a couple of inches behind my left toe when my left pedal is all of the way back.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:37:04 AM by pmmpete »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Always a good source for tips and advice, pete, but I've always wondered in this photo, below the fish finder is a gray tube that appears to be strapped down securely.  What is that?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:36:01 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Always a good source for tips and advice, pete, but I've always wondered in this photo, below the fish finder is a gray tube that appears to be strapped down securely.  What is that?
A fish bonker made out of a piece of heavy PBC electrical conduit, which is stuck in the mesh pocket, and attached to the kayak with a fishing retractor.

gnomodom

• Lingcod
Did you use any backing, or jsut the tiny screws that came with the rails? I have the shorter version of those HD rails.

skidlybo

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I made a fish subduing device out of pvc too.  I threaded a 3/4 X 2" bolt into the end of mine and ground off the sharp corners.  Gives a lot more bonking power.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Did you use any backing, or jsut the tiny screws that came with the rails? I have the shorter version of those HD rails.
Revolutions have narrow gunwales, and the area inside the gunwales is narrow and arched, which can make it tricky to mount gear tracks on the gunwales.  Unless you drill your holes very accurately, you are likely to end up with nuts and fender washers sitting on the side of the arch, or you are likely to end up with a backing bar which is contacting the hull at only two corners.  The advantage of the YakAttack 1.75 Geartracks in this situation is that you can mount them from the outside quickly and easily with screws.  You can't use a couple of the holes in the geartrack because they end up being positioned over the notches created by the foot brace ledges, but there are plenty of other screws to hold the gear tracks down.  I have used these tracks hard, and have had no problems at all with them.  If I was outfitting a new Revolution, I'd do the same thing, but would save a little money by using shorter gear tracks, because I find that I mostly use only the front half or two-thirds of my long tracks.

FithyFuzz, sorry about pirating your posting a bit.  Hobies are great kayaks, but they are way behind other manufacturers in their outfitting for fishing.  You have to mount gear tracks yourself, and the design of the Revolution makes this awkward.  Hobie would be more competitive if it would sell its kayaks with gear tracks mounted as standard equipment.  And better yet, with a mounting spot for a downrigger.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:10:21 AM by pmmpete »

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Fancy bonkers...  Mine is a piece of scrap re-bar with one end wrapped up in electrical tape (enough to hold a loop of wire in place for a clip, and give a grip).  I have no idea if it has enough bonking power - so far I think it scares fish away 'cuz I haven't ever had a chance to use it!   :)
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

FilthyFuzz

• Herring
  • I’m lost, but I’m making good time!
  • Date Registered: May 2016
No apologies necessary pmmpete!  Your informative posts add to the knowledge base.  Keep them coming.  Your photo has me thinking about my own setup.

gnomodom

• Lingcod
How efficient does the Pilot seem? It is wider than my Revo 13, and one of the big reasons I like it so much is that there isn't much effort involved at all to get 3MPH. I can hit 6MPH if I want a cardio workout. :D

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
No apologies necessary pmmpete!  Your informative posts add to the knowledge base.  Keep them coming.  Your photo has me thinking about my own setup.
Since you asked for it, here is a description of the way I have set up my Revolution, and an explanation of why I set it up that way: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=12575.msg138905#msg138905 .

anything