Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:06:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: What footwear do you wear with your drysuit?  (Read 4039 times)

kingdr1300

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
After getting my SuperNova drysuit I'm trying to decide what footwear to get.  What do you like/dislike?  Thinking something closed so shells, rocks don't get inside while surf launching.  Thanks for your input!

danr

• Perch
  • 2017 hobie outback
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
me personaly, i use dive boots, mine ars nrs 6mill neoprim , just make sure that they are a couple sizes bigger to allow for heavier sock for cold water conditions, use the search box, tons of info here,and lots of knowledgable people

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I've seen everything from dive booties to wading boots to crocs. Just make sure you have something, the socks are not meant to be walked on.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Wet suit booties.  Your feet spend a lot of time in cold water when you're fishing in a sit-on-top kayak, so get them about two sizes larger than your street shoe size so they won't constrict your feet and make them cold when you're wearing a couple of pairs of warm fuzzy socks under your drysuit.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
These!

http://www.nrs.com/product/2335/nrs-atb-wetshoe

You can take your suit, and socks to Andy and Bax downtown PDX and try them on in their basement.
I would also suggest the NRS neoprene socks worn over the drysuit booties so you don't wear holes in them if you get sharp sand, rock or shell in your boot.  A&B sell these as well.

The hard sole is really nice for walking over sharp shells and rocks if you need to portage, or just dragging your kayak up the bank.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I wear an old pair of jogging shoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
These!

http://www.nrs.com/product/2335/nrs-atb-wetshoe

You can take your suit, and socks to Andy and Bax downtown PDX and try them on in their basement.
I would also suggest the NRS neoprene socks worn over the drysuit booties so you don't wear holes in them if you get sharp sand, rock or shell in your boot.  A&B sell these as well.

The hard sole is really nice for walking over sharp shells and rocks if you need to portage, or just dragging your kayak up the bank.

Good shoes for the reasons Insayn mentioned, but be sure to try them on with the socks you like to wear under them.  This model seems to run smaller than other NRS wetsuit booties with the same size number.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Hard-sole scuba boots - they look a lot like the NRS shoes INSAYN posted but without the arch cinch (because of Hobie pedal straps).
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Same as INSAYN. If you have any distance at all to walk, or funky terrain, you will be glad of the support.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
get 2 size larger than your shoe size to account for loose dry suit.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
$10 pair of aqua-socks, 1 size larger.

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I have been wondering the same since I too just got a Supernova.  When looking at neoprene socks, there are ones with taped seams and ones with just stitched seams.  My thoughts with the taped ones is they would hold water in, would that be a recipe for leaks/cold feed do you think? 

I have had trouble finding neoprene socks that fit.  They all seem to be too tight, even with going the largest size they make.  I found a pair of taped ones, that are stretchier but like I mentioned above, not sure if taped would be a good idea.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I've tried a number of different types and over the past few years been a fan of the water shoe. I buy them a size or 2 larger than normal and can fit some nice thick wool socks underneath.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

Really, don't do this unless you're in a shop trying them on or unless the online vendor has a really good return policy.  I had a pair that were two sizes larger, but they were nonetheless much too narrow after adding socks.

It's a good place to start, but you can still get a mighty uncomfortable pair.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

Really, don't do this unless you're in a shop trying them on or unless the online vendor has a really good return policy.  I had a pair that were two sizes larger, but they were nonetheless much too narrow after adding socks.

It's a good place to start, but you can still get a mighty uncomfortable pair.

I ordered 3 different styles/brands of aqua-socks, all a bit large, from an internet store and hit the jackpot-  the largest pair fits over the neoprene socks on my chest waders, the next largest (image I posted) fit perfect over my drysuit with nice wool socks under, and the third pair fit my bare feet perfect...at a total cost of about $35, I was hoping for 2 out of 3 winners...
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)