Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:49:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Curious, How much tackle do you all take with you in your Kayak?  (Read 3551 times)

Al_G19

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Just curious how much tackle you guys carry when you go out in your Kayak.

I have a sit inside, so I have my tackle bag sit between my legs, I was taking out a bunch with bass lures, spoon's and spinners, and assorted terminal tackle. I just recently started really looking at what I was bringing, and really paired it down to just a very small bag, it has been very nice.

I think I was taking so much figuring I would fish for everything, but usually ended up concentrating on one type of fish that I wanted to catch. So now I have a series of bags with tackle for certain types of fish depending on where I'm headed. Has really made my fishing a lot more enjoyable.

The reason I ask is I see all of these pictures with the milk crate filled with Plano boxes and always wondered what guy's were carrying. If I could I would probably carry a milk crate too, but my behind the seat section is a hatch and I don't want to cut up my Kayak to get a crate to fit in there.

Anyway, like I said I am just curious how much stuff everybody takes for a trip, and see where I fit in the curve at.....

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Typically, I take TONS of gear with me.  Every conceivable lure and bait I want to use...then I never reach into my bag. Not even once.  I do carry a spare rod and reel about 95% of the time. 

Then the next trip I take one rig and one spare...then proceed to break off one immediately and have a big halibut swallow the other down to its gullet on the first bite and I am SOL. SO I am back to carrying tons of gear. 

I solved it by fishing with my son and having him carry all of my gear.  At least per person its half of what I used to take. 

I have gotten it down to single soft tackle box about 12 inches by 6 inches.  One spare rod.  and when I am by myself, one spare mirage drive....plus landing net, harpoon & Buoy, Boga grips, drinks, drybag with DSLR, two gopros, fish finder, battery, Dive clip....ARGH.....

I'm a minimalist wannabe...just can't get there yet. 

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I've downsized to the soft tackle box and use it with both sit-in (17ft Seward Tyee) and sit-on (Trident 13).  The Trident has more room than I should be offered.  The sit-in allows the soft pack to be strapped behind me and it usually/sometimes stays there. 
If I'm mooching I use noodle tubes and stick extra hooks and a swivel into them and wrap the line around so it can sit inside with me.  It usually doesn't stick me.  Spray skirts are a pain to reach under. 
Nets and sit-ins don't mix well so I use a lip-grip in salt (can be exciting, but what are you fishing in the salt in a sit-in for anyway?) and small net in fresh.  I like poles just long enough to reach around the front or rear of the yak. I do like the plastic boxes inside the soft tackle box and have tried attaching it in front of me and will keep trying.  Harbor freight has cheap plastic boxes/  There's room for needle nose and a few things in my PDF with good hard-pockets.    PDF is for reference, it's a Shimano bag

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I am pretty much the same as Rudy on this one, I bring WAY too much stuff most of the time and then only use 5% of it. I have definitely been found guilty of bringing the milk crate full of 3600 plano boxes when bass fishing. The more I fish though the less I bring as I realize that I often have too much stuff and second guess myself as to what I should be using. A few trips so far this year I have brought one little tackle box with just a few lures in it and it was one of my more successful trips yet. When you limit yourself you force yourself to learn to fish the baits you have better.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I carry WAY too much stuff - in fact I'm reluctant to launch in the surf because I have become so complacent with lashing my gear if I turtled, it would be a costly event.

I have a crate bungeed to my rear deck. It carries my net, second rod, wheel cart (when needed) and soft tackle bag. It also has two PVC rod holders closest to my seat angled to each side so I can reach them easily.  I use one of those angled PVC tubes for holding my "downrigger" (a short stout rod with a line counter and 80lb braid and 4lb ball). Primarily fishing kokanee, typically requires a lot of lure changes, so I never know what the fish will want, gotta bring everything.  I stash a bait bag behind my seat with ice pack and scented corn.  Usually put my catch cooler to the side of my crate - it has ice in it too bungeed to the crate.

When I fish springers in the rivers I seem to have just as much stuff. Fewer lures in my soft tackle bag, and fewer lure changes.

Saltwater, I definitely need to rethink this!  And soon!! Got a few trips in mind, and I want to be streamlined with the essentials.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
A Plano holds 3 hard boxes in a soft sided bag with a tethered to the deck line behind my seat, a shoulder tackle bag with one to two extra boxes and my descender in it, fish grips tethered next to the seat, pliers other side , forceps/scissors on pfd with strobe, whistle and vhf, aluminum bike seat post with electrical tape on the smooth end and a lanyard in the hole I drilled, two rod/reels, sometimes a net. Bow line attached and bungee'd to the bow. Big game clip tethered behind the seat and laying in the back well with a burlap sack (closed end) on it to cover the catch and during surf landings turn it inside out and tie it shut so the fish don't fill up with sand when I eat a soggy shit sandwich in the surf zone.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

nwjimwa

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I've taken my tackle bag with 4 full plano boxes and pockets stuffed with other items. Having so much means I would constantly change lures and never catch anything. My new philosophy is to fill one plano tray with a couple types of lures, soft plastics in a Ziploc. I put that in a drawstring bag that I clip onto my mod pod clips. Easy access this way plus it's attached in case I flip.  Bought boga grips but recently got fish grips which are lighter and float.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I've eliminated the crate, too.  I carry a six-pack cooler with small spools of Maxima to tie new leaders, spare pliers, and extra line-cutters and shove the net and fish-billie in the rear rod-holders.

And it still take 30 minutes to get the kayak ready...
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

gnomodom

• Lingcod
I fit my tackle and a few energy bars in the 8" deep hatch bucket for my hobie. Otherwise, I either put things like fish bonkers in my milk crate behind me, or strapped to a deck line and under the seat.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have recently began to consider reducing my salty jig headcount, or change what I take them in. 

Trying to pay attention to what slows me down the most when setting up, tearing down my kayak each time seems to revolve around the stupid deep Hobie bucket I use in the center hatch.  With this silly thing I tend to put it in, then take it back out to put something else through the hatch opening, then put it back.....several times during setup. 

I think I am going to find away to consolidate all of my salty jigs into just two water proof containers that can be tethered inside and at easy reach when needed. 

Also thinking of doing the markings on the side of the gun rail for rough measuring of fish.  I like the Rapala folding fish measuring dealeo, but it is a pain in the butt to use on the water.  The standard hog trough most folks use is fine, but too wide and bulky on deck for my tastes.  I'll figure something out..

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

nwjimwa

• Perch
I have recently began to consider reducing my salty jig headcount, or change what I take them in. 

Trying to pay attention to what slows me down the most when setting up, tearing down my kayak each time seems to revolve around the stupid deep Hobie bucket I use in the center hatch.  With this silly thing I tend to put it in, then take it back out to put something else through the hatch opening, then put it back.....several times during setup. 

I think I am going to find away to consolidate all of my salty jigs into just two water proof containers that can be tethered inside and at easy reach when needed. 

Also thinking of doing the markings on the side of the gun rail for rough measuring of fish.  I like the Rapala folding fish measuring dealeo, but it is a pain in the butt to use on the water.  The standard hog trough most folks use is fine, but too wide and bulky on deck for my tastes.  I'll figure something out..
For quick measurements, of course depending on fish size, I like the idea of paint on the fishing rods. Of course if using multiple rods then you'd have to do all vs just the boat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
All I know is that I feel I carried way too much for the ORC. I think I had about 15 lbs of jigs and etc. That is after cutting it way down the night before. I also brought 3 rods, which I think will drop by one next time.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Lately I've just been putting one Plano box in a next adventure drybag (last years ORC captains bag) and clipping it to the straps that hold the hatch closed right in front of me. If I feel like throwing in some flashers, and divers I'll  throw in a small tackle box behind the seat. Quick, light, easy 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I have a Revo 13 and used to take a ton of gear with me. Being on the open ocean has taught me that you don't need to have a crate with you especially if you're looking at dropping a crab pot or two. I put a lot of my pre-tied rigs in the hatch next to my seat or in my life-jacket. Weights are in the hatch. Fish bonker and lip grippers are connected to my rod holder across from my fish finder. A dry change of clothes are in the front hatch that I can scoot up to and access if necessary. I don't carry a net but could place one in the rod holder. I usually take two rods or three (if I don't bring a net) with me. I have my throw rope attached behind my seat and a bilge pump in the hatch with in the round hatch.

I don't change my fishing set-up a lot when I'm on the water. Jigs are all pre-tied and picked out before I head out. No need for me to change a lot out there besides retying shrimp flies that get busted off on my rig. Just remember the old acronym - K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Stupid! Know what you're fishing for, what you're fishing with and keep everything at hand so you don't have to overextend yourself to make your kayak tippy.

Fred "True" Trujillo

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Damn Fred ---there may be hope for you yet.                                                 I say that because I have made the comment--- "too much stuff" more than once when we have fished together. Usually after his 3rd or 4th trip back to his truck to get more 'stuff'.
 I have always been a minimumialist when it comes to fishing. I try to make wise decisions about what gear I take aboard and make that gear work. Don't try to 'out think' a fish. They have really small brains compared to ours. They react to specific stimulus or they won't. Fishing is really that simple.
 So "Keep it simple stupid" does work. Just choose wisely and make it happen.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent