Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:03:52 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Sunset Bay 6-8 thru 6-11  (Read 2519 times)

dharma

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Greetings,
we are heading to Sunset Bay June 8th and looking for ideas, tips, tricks etc.  Any info is appreciated!
Thanks

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Still a bit too soon to tell you much.  This area can be unpredictable, and can get pretty rugged if you aren't familiar with it.  If you keep an eye on the wind and swell predictions, you'll see the forecasts change every six hours.

We can tell you more when we're closer to the dates you'll be here, but rogerdodger gave you great advice in your introductory post: have a back-up plan.  Even the folks who live in Coos Bay haven't been going out often, but there can be fish in the inside bay at Sunset, Coos Bay is always an option, and the Dune Lakes are fun to fish.

You haven't mentioned it in your posts so far, so I'll ask: do you have cold water immersion gear?  Do you have a (mandatory) fish descender?  You'll need both.

Post an open invite and see if someone can go with you.  That's the best way to pick up tips.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:02:49 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

dharma

• Herring
Yes, he gave some great options and its always a good idea to have a backup plan. We are just getting geared up, so it will be an ongoing project. Cold water immersion gear? Planning on using our wet suits for this trip.  The last time I was in salt water was 2010, so when you asked if I had a fish descender I thought you were kidding around... Kinda like asking the auto parts store if they had head light fluid  ;)  But I googled it and all I can say is WOW  :o That is the coolest thing and if it is working to save fish I am all over that. 

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
On the fish descender, you may be able to get one in time if you order quick through this site. http://oceaned.org/request-devices/ they're free, although I gave a $10 donation to cover the cost. They also include a fish ID page that is pretty handy. If you don't get it in time you can use rigged up fish grips as well.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Sorry about that.  I was too short.  You must have a functioning fish descending device on board if you are fishing for bottom fish.  Check the ODFW site for options if the Shelton Fish Descender from http://oceaned.org/request-devices/ doesn't arrive on time

Your wetsuit is immersion gear. 

dharma

• Herring
Your wetsuit is immersion gear.
Right, just thought maybe there was something special I was missing  ;)

Thanks for the link for the fish descender, I just ordered it... Hope it arrives in time. 

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
You can also make your own descender with Dacron a large hook and a large weight.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

dharma

• Herring
in my research I see I need the Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Permit, are there any others I need to worry about?

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
One for each boat 10' and above (that's why most SUP's are 9'6").  They're only 7 bucks.  Homemade descenders are the way to go for the $$.  You can make it with what you'd already have for bottom fishing.

Other stuff:  Fishing licenses.  First aid kit, VHF, immersion gear, PFD's, knife.  Dramamine.  Rod/Reels.  Waterproof storage for phone/keys/etc.  Flag.  A big cooler with ice for all the fish.  That should do it. :)
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
One for each boat 10' and above (that's why most SUP's are 9'6"). 

For clarification, the invasive species permit for non-motorized boats is issued to the person, not a boat. Therefore you buy one permit and it is good for any non-motorized boat over 10 ft that you use.  You don't buy one for each boat.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
You can print a temporary Invasive Species Permit while waiting for your permanent permit to arrive in the mail.  I keep one in the truck all the time.

If you take a look at the Rules for last year's Oregon Rockfish Classic, there's a breakdown of the minimum mandatory safety items the competitors' must have, and it's a good list: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=17857.0

It's all about being safe AND having fun!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:34:35 PM by Tinker »

dharma

• Herring
Thanks!  I am good with safety equipment etc.   I was worried I was missing some permit or something like that.   I've been reading and trying to interpret the sport fishing regs for Oregon... Holy Cow, they have really changed over the years!!! ??? :o ??? You almost need a legal team to decipher them all. 

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
One for each boat 10' and above (that's why most SUP's are 9'6"). 

For clarification, the invasive species permit for non-motorized boats is issued to the person, not a boat. Therefore you buy one permit and it is good for any non-motorized boat over 10 ft that you use.  You don't buy one for each boat.

But you do have to have it with you in the boat.

To keep it simple I just buy one per boat and put them in a siplock baggie taped the the bottom of the hatch cover.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
My AIS "lives" with my fishing license. It's hard to forget it that way, and if I do and they ask I am screwed anyways.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
My AIS "lives" with my fishing license. It's hard to forget it that way, and if I do and they ask I am screwed anyways.

same here, my AIS stays in my PFD with my 'boat fishing' licenses, doesn't matter which boat I head out on, I'm always wearing my PDF.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

anything