Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:41:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:03:52 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Long paddles  (Read 4374 times)

Hydrospider

Hey Hydrospider,

I've been wanting to make a 'Greenland' style paddle. It could be any length you want.
 Interested ?
 I'd be making it out of Red Cedar.

Thanks MC,  Ive always thought that it was Jedi to be able to craft your own paddle. If you make your excalibur , please just enjoy it.
I don't have the right boats or skills, but WOW, thats an interesting offer..They are fascinating paddles, and something oversized could be fun.
Maybe a conversation for another time MC. Ive watched a lot of greenland roll videos and the style is both humbling and inspiring. Unfortunately the greenland is not the right tool for this job.

Mind if I ask why the preference for a bent paddle?  Never used one myself. 

Its just a better fit for me. For my frame and paddling styles, the bent shaft is a more relaxed and comfortable position.
Its also feels more action ready. Kayak fishing takes the paddle out of my hands. It also requires quick paddle counter measures while distracted by fishing. The bent shaft seems to help me with my paddle awareness. I know exactly where I am at on the paddle at contact and a grip flex away from being on the move when I need it most. I also extend the paddle a lot, especially when ruddering. The bent shaft helps speed up my my grip position changes. Im more confident that Ill find that sweet spot and blast off quicker. The bent shaft is even more noticeably helpful with this when wearing gloves.
I knew it immediately when I first picked one up. I switched to the bent shaft in 2006 or 07 and have not purchased a straight shaft paddle since.
 I can adapt ,and it looks like Ill have too, but its just not as enjoyable.
I appreciate a stronger connection to the paddle, and not just because more of my hand stays in contact with the paddle throughout the stroke phases. These are just the paddles that fit me. The rub is that they are heavier and may not be as strong. And, of course, difficult to get in a 260.
I think its kind of interesting that none of the big league paddlers that I have followed or tried to learn from use the bent shaft.
Still, there is no doubt that its what I should be paddling.

Terry, let's build some paddles!   ::)

-Allen

We may have to.   The 240 is just not enough to be successful in the tall chair

Come on Werner!  I am a reasonable man. Cyprus 260, bent shaft, and adjustable blade angles.
This needs to happen. Or something close or maybe bigger.

The chair is tall,comfortable, and fun. The boat is a creek beast and feels like they made it of me.  I just need the paddle that fits.

The forward 3 paddles are all bent shaft. The straight shaft paddles of my past stay on the rack collecting dust.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:49:45 PM by Hydrospider »

Hydrospider

The hunt and the homework continues. I came across an article that I thought was interesting.
It's from Jackson, promoting the Bending Branches kayak fishing paddle.

The 2 statements that I found most interesting were "The best paddle money can buy"
and  "the best paddles that you can find in the world".

Pretty strong words and I'm a little suspicious of the featured writer's skill set.
Possibly a by product of kayak fishings "pro" staff culture that I believe is largely made up of anglers pretending to be paddlers.

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/2017/03/21/bending-branches-angler-pro-the-best-paddle-money-can-buy/

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Hydrospider

I got to test this same BB paddle a few years back. It wasn't a horrible experience but I wouldn't purchase one.
They were once building up their pro staff ranks and some friends suggested that they ask me.
I had to be honest and told them that if I felt they had a product worth representing I would already be using it.

Im kind of surprised that Jackson was promoting BB.  I remember EJ using lightning paddles and I think Dane uses Werner.
Maybe there is some sort of business relationship between Jackson and BB for the fishing boats.
I really like Jackson, enjoy EJs educational products, and own 2 Jackson kayaks, but after reading this article, Im a little disappointed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:24:17 AM by Hydrospider »

Hydrospider

I eventually chose the Werner Cyprus, carbon, straight shaft, 260cm, and feathered to 45.
Its the smallest blade that I have used but I enjoy it. The straight shaft is not comfortable for me( I had no other options), but the 260cm in the elevated chair is exactly what I had hope it would be.

Side-note
My paddle rack won't support a 260.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:41:02 AM by Hydrospider »

anything