Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Brads Superbait  (Read 3185 times)

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Has anyone tried mooching with the superbaits? What was your experience vs regular mooching with real bait?
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Mooching no, trolling Yes, and it works

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Never thought of mooching with one.....  May have to try that in the ocean this year. 
My goal for this coming summer/fall season is to catch a Chinook with a jigging iron.

-Mark-

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Noob question:  What's the difference between mooching and trolling?  Does one not troll while mooching?
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
yes, with the brad's cut plugs, and they work.

bait is probably better, but i've had success on mooching brad's in the ocean.

Clayman

• Salmon
Noob question:  What's the difference between mooching and trolling?  Does one not troll while mooching?
Basically, trolling means you're moving under power, either with a motor, sail, paddle, Mirage drive, etc.  Mooching is letting the wind and current move you around instead (drifting), along with some other nuances of working the bait vertically through the water column.

When I'm running a plug-cut herring, I prefer "trooching": a mix of both trolling and mooching.  I'll pedal forward until my line is roughly at a 45 degree angle away from me, then stop and let the bait spin towards the bottom.  When my sinker hits bottom, I pedal forward again until the line rises to 45 degrees, then stop.  I usually get bit as soon as the sinker touches bottom.  This is super effective when the fish are relatively concentrated and are unwilling to chase a steadily-trolled herring.
aMayesing Bros.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Isn't mooching just .... jigging, with a mooching rig instead of a jig....instead of trolling with a mooching rig...?

Man ! What do you call it when you troll with a jig ?
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Clayman:
"When I'm running a plug-cut herring, I prefer "trooching": a mix of both trolling and mooching.  I'll pedal forward until my line is roughly at a 45 degree angle away from me, then stop and let the bait spin towards the bottom.  When my sinker hits bottom, I pedal forward again until the line rises to 45 degrees, then stop.  I usually get bit as soon as the sinker touches bottom.  This is super effective when the fish are relatively concentrated and are unwilling to chase a steadily-trolled herring.
[/quote]

One day in Nehalem Bay I turned an otherwise dead bite & horrible paddle against wind & rain into an eventful 30 minute fish fight with a 20lb native. I found lock jaw fish stacking in a hole & kept circling, mooching it dropping into the hole till one bit & picked me up for a ride. Mooching is an art we all should exolore more & unfortunately I dont use enough fishing freah waters in OR. I find its easier to do with a slow current to keeo the bait fluttering.
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
For those who aren't familiar with mooching, here's a short tutorial.

Mark
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Isn't mooching just .... jigging, with a mooching rig instead of a jig....instead of trolling with a mooching rig...?

Man ! What do you call it when you troll with a jig ?

Albacore trolling?
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Thanks for the link, Spot.  I'm actually subscribed to that channel but hadn't seen the video.  Until now I had just assumed that mooching meant one was using a plug cut herring not that one was essentially jigging it.  I'm pretty sure I caught mine doing Clayman's aptly coined "trooching" technique with a little bit of both.

Does anyone else ever wonder after they've been dangling their feet in the water for a while if its a good idea or not?  Doesn't worry me at all in freshwater, but when I do it in the ocean I sometimes get the better of myself with my own headgames.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
My feet spend a lot of time over the sides while fishing in the ocean.  Not sure if I'm just getting too comfortable with the ocean, or just being stoopid.   I am plenty aware of the dangers lurking below, but also aware of the dangers just driving to the ocean, so it's kind of a wash if there is anything to really spend a lot of time stressing about it.

Now if there was a shark sighting, or aggressive fur bag in the area my feet will happily stay in the kayak.  :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Does anyone else ever wonder after they've been dangling their feet in the water for a while if its a good idea or not?  Doesn't worry me at all in freshwater, but when I do it in the ocean I sometimes get the better of myself with my own headgames.

Been surfing for too many years to care without some overt sign that it's not a good idea.

-Mark-

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
I'll take that as another sign of me being a giant wuss and resume my normal foot danglage.  I honestly go out into the ocean because it scares the piss out of me and I don't like the idea of something scaring me and not facing it head on.  That grey whale at PC definitely got the better of me once and I'm sure it didn't care at all that I was there.