Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Stolen Kayaks  (Read 4467 times)

• Date Registered: Mar 2013
I had both of my SOT kayaks stolen out of my yard around 3:45AM today. My neighbor saw a couple of guys carrying the last one out and called the police, who apparently got there within about 5 minutes, but the thieves were already gone.

Both of the kayaks were Ocean Kayak Ultra's. One was a yellow Ultra 4.7, which I had purchased used from Tallforce here on the forum, and the other was a mottled camo Ulta 4.3 that I purchased new about 6 years ago. In all likelihood they won't be seen again, but if you happen to see them for sale at somewhere please contact me.

Kayaks are a hard item to secure given their size, but with as much crime as we have in this city, I hope you all at least think a little bit about how secure you boats (and everything else) is. It sucks getting woken up at 4:30 in the morning by a call from APD.

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Sorry to hear that, hope you get them back!
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Sorry man. Keep an eye on Craigslist and Offer Up.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Do you have pictures and or any identifying marks? 

Alaska is huge by land, but a small place in every other way.  It would be nice to rally around issues like this and show these A$$hats and others that Kayaks aren't a good thing to steal becaue the community is tight knit. 

If you feel comfortable posting pics up and a few more details like location, I would be happy to share.
]
Sorry to hear about the theft.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Sorry to hear.  Stuff like this really pisses me off!  Friggin crack heads, is nothing sacred anymore?  If I see em I'll be sure to share the group's displeasure with their actions. 
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

So it turns out only one of my kayaks was stolen. I was in CA this morning when the APD officer called me to say that he had responded to a call about the theft, and when I asked him if the there was any kayaks left in the yard, he said no. Guess he didn't see the bright yellow kayak laying against the fence. So, the news isn't quite as bad as I thought, but it still sucks big time. I have a friend coming up at the end of the month, and that kayak was going to feature heavily in our plans.

So, the kayak that is missing is the camo one. It's the New Zealand made Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3, in mottled camo. I'm trying to track down a serial number for it at this point, that would help if someone were to see it. I'll try and put a picture of it in a separate post below. It was stolen from a house in the Turnagain neighborhood, near Wisconsin and Northern Lights.

My neighbor said three guys pulled up in a full size, red pickup truck, like a 2012 or 2013 Chevy. So if you see a camo kayak like the one below hanging out of the back of a red pickup, a license plate would probably be super helpful.

It's not the most common kayak up here, but I'm pretty sure there is at least one more legitimately owned Ultra 4.3 up here that looks just like it. So don't just start swinging. And in all seriousness, if you do think you see it, don't approach anyone about it with an eye towards confronting them. License plates, physical descriptions, whatever info you can provide is awesome, but in the end of the day its just a kayak, and not worth getting a beating or worse over. I'd guess the most likely place for it to turn up is a pawnshop or garage sale.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
The camo pattern on the kayak is unique and distinctive.  And I see two rod holder bases and a fish finder base, which will also help identify it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:23:03 PM by pmmpete »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
The camo pattern on the kayak is unique and distinctive.  And I see two rod holder bases and a fish finder base, which will also help identify it.
Thats right Pete, the camo patterns can't be duplicated so each boat will have its patches in different spots so you Alaskan guys just save the photos in your phone and you can spot compare " literally ". 

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

That's a good point, hadn't thought about that. In case I can't come up with the serial number, the paint job might be enough to prove ownership. And if they leave the bases and sounder mount in place, that would help as well. I'm not getting my hopes up too high that I will get it back though. Amazing how much theft and crime there is up here in ANC.

AOGOR

• Alaska Outdoor Gear -Outfitter and Rentals
  • Herring
  • Alaska Outdoor Gear -Outfitter and Rental
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
We will keep an eye out for it at our shop. From time to time we get people coming by trying to sell us used gear. I will let the staff know to call me if anyone brings in a kayak for sale.

Dave
AUTHORIZED DEALER: Vibe Kayaks; Necky Kayaks; Old Town Kayaks ; Malibu Kayaks; Yak Attack; Yak Gear; EGO; Stohlquist

www.alaskaoutdoorgearrental.com
https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaOutdoorGearRental/

Thanks Dave, I appreciate that.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Man that's terrible. I hope you're able to locate it.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I'm here in Soldotna and as you know its canoe and kayak heaven on the Peninsula. So I'll keep my eyes peeled. Not easy to hide a 14 footer on a vehicle in FM or safeway parking lot in case they decide to use it. And the rarity of that model does provide hope it could be spotted even much later in the future.  So tracking down a serial # would be helpful to have handy.

I am STILL looking for my 17' double end Fury aluminum canoe with an unmistakable distinctive crease on its side and that disappeared from my riverbank in the spring of 1982. It may be gone but not from my memory as I scrutinize every aluminum canoe on each vehicle. You never know when it may turn over ownership and pop up on the road again. I pity the fool.  >:D
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
If the police didnt see the bright yellow kayak, are you sure the camo one isn't  just sitting in the open?

Seriously, that sucks. Good luck with the recovery.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

anything