Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: where do you locate transducer?  (Read 3606 times)

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
So, I finally break down and get a fishfinder (Lowrance Hook4).  Of course, I am rereading a bazillion posts on the subject of batteries, wiring, boxes, mounts, putty, pockets, this, that, and the other thing...  Something I've not seen is whether you should keep the transducer away from a propellor drive unit to reduce noise level a bit.  If so, how far?  Or, does it even matter at sonar frequencies? 

Looking to figure out a mounting arm for it, just thinking about placement along the side rails (Slayer Propel 13).  At least for now, I don't think I am going to try shooting thru the hull.

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
So, I finally break down and get a fishfinder (Lowrance Hook4).  Of course, I am rereading a bazillion posts on the subject of batteries, wiring, boxes, mounts, putty, pockets, this, that, and the other thing...  Something I've not seen is whether you should keep the transducer away from a propellor drive unit to reduce noise level a bit.  If so, how far?  Or, does it even matter at sonar frequencies? 

Looking to figure out a mounting arm for it, just thinking about placement along the side rails (Slayer Propel 13).  At least for now, I don't think I am going to try shooting thru the hull.

Jim
Put it in a plastic sink drain in the front scupper hole, Thats where I put mine. Let me know if you want pictures.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I have the same fish finder mounted along with the transducer on a Scotty transducer arm and fish finder mount. I really like it so far, but I'm thinking about moving the fish finder to a mount point in the center of the kayak and moving the transducer farther forward on the rail. It can't move too far forward, though, as I need to still be able to reach it to pivot the arm up before I hit land.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:21:44 AM by JasonM »

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel

Jim
Put it in a plastic sink drain in the front scupper hole, Thats where I put mine. Let me know if you want pictures.

Pictures would be great, Mojo... 
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Rox, I have a scotty transducer mount if you'd like one.  It's about a 2-3 brew price and I'll buy one.  I didn't like the noise and wake from the scotty arm.  I switched to a magnetic thru the side of the hull mount. I figured how the internal magnet needed to be glued inside so all I have to do is reach over the side and it snaps into place.  I used a thin piece of strap steel to hold the transducer.  It's thin enough that it cuts through the water without a wake.  When coming ashore I just grab it or it knocks off but is held by the transducer cable if it does.  More pics available if you'd like, I've included one of the inside transducer mount I glued in.
Here are some pics of the rigid strap steel I just twist-bent so it lines up properly.  The strap steel is strong, cuts through the water very cleanly.  I zip tied the cables to the back side to keep them from vibrating.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:43:33 PM by Trident 13 »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

Jim

I'll snap a few tomorrow at PC

Shannon

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
Rox, I have a scotty transducer mount if you'd like one.  It's about a 2-3 brew price and I'll buy one.  I didn't like the noise and wake from the scotty arm.  I switched to a magnetic thru the side of the hull mount. I figured who the internal maget needed to be glued inside so all I have to do is reach over the side and it snaps into place.  I used a thin piece of strap steel to hold the transducer.  It's thin enough that it cuts through the water without a wake.  When coming ashore I just grab it or it knocks off but is held by the transducer cable if it does.  More pics available if you'd like, I've included one of the inside transducer mount I glued in.

Thanks 🙂. The magnetic mount sounds like a good way to eliminate a lot of the fuss.  I have some PVC that I am playing with as an arm, and a heat gun so I can soften it up and re-form it to a nice streamlined shape.  Still fiddling around with the idea.

Jim

Trident 13

• Salmon
Rox, sounds like you have a plan, I added some pics of the rigid strap steel arm that works well for me.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
Rox, sounds like you have a plan, I added some pics of the rigid strap steel arm that works well for me.

Thanks, that looks nice and simple...

Jim

Amik

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I took the simple approach and just placed my transducer on a flat part of the inside of the hull in a little bit of goop. It's been there going on three years with no problems. The only drawback I can see is the need for another transducer if using the fish on another boat.

Trident 13

• Salmon
If you go the magnet route, I held the magnet inside and allowed the outside to attach with the transducer attached, adjusting it so the transducer was where it needed to be, easy for me to reach.  I outlined the inside magnet with a sharpie to mark the location.  An old breadboard served as a bracket after I marked and cut out a rectange that the inside magnet fit in.  I replaced it with the breadboard piece inside and checked the transducer.  Seeing it was OK I used the sharpie to mark the outside of the breadboard piece.  Next I riveted velcro straps to the breadboard piece long enough to hold the magnet in.  After light scuffing with sandpaper I glued the breadboard in and re-attached the outside magnet and transducer just to check and then left it for two days.  Once dry I secured the velcro over the inside magnet so it wouldn't fall out when I pulled the outside magnet and transducer off.  All I have to do is hold the outside magnet with transducer close and it snaps tight.  Worked well for 1 1/2 years.  If you go this route and have any questions just PM me.

mtom938

• Rockfish
  • OK Trident T13 Camo w/ HB 597 HD DI Combo
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
This was my solution and am happy with it.

"I am haunted by waters...."      -Norman MacLean

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

Jim

Here ya go tan ones the Mariner gray ones the Slayer

Shannon

kingdr1300

• Rockfish
I have the Scotty adjustable transducer arm mount.  It slides right on my rail, I can pull it in when surf launching, and it has a Scotty mount on top of it.  Doesn't look as clean as a thru design on the bottom of a yak, but it functions exactly like I need it to.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
Thanks for all the input and pics!  I was able to fiddle together a mount today, with scraps of PVC, a chunk of my 1$ Goodwill cutting board, and some time with the heat gun...  I'll take it out and give it a try tomorrow I hope.  Transducer up front of the drive unit, display on top of the drive.  The arm can pivot if I should somehow forget about it and land...  I don't do surf launches so not a worry for those.

Jim