Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Pressure bleeding fish  (Read 1915 times)

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Have any of you heard of this method or have used it? I have come across some videos and think it would be awesome to carry a small pump for salmon fishing. After doing some reading it sounds like it is a great way to preserve the fish.

I have seen this work for salmon I wonder if it would work the same for lingcod or other fish?
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Zack, I guess after reading more about pressure bleeding I’m a dry bleeder.
http://www.gulkanaseafoods.com/blog/understanding-the-importance-of-bleeding-salmon/
Maybe I’m a 1/2fast bleeder as after cutting a gill or two and getting them on the clip I toss them back into the salt water cause if I’m lucky there’s not enough room in the yak?  Never understood it was that complicated but what I do, if it’s dry bleeding, it does make a difference to the good side.  Nice discussion!

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I'm pretty sure I'm a dry bleeder by definition.  There is no "pre-rigor" in my bleeding... I'm exhausted by that point. :)  I've never heard of any of this before but it sounds like it's worth researching.  Pretty sure it would work on most fish, but it sounds like a huge pain in the ass to do on a kayak, especially after fighting a big fish.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
When I catch a large fish like a lake trout I usually immediately gut it, snip its gills, and leave it in the water for 5-10 minutes on a stringer to bleed out.  Then I put it on ice in a cooler or catch bag in the rear cargo area of my kayak.  But I'm an inland angler, so I don't need to worry about seals, sea lions, and sharks. After reading about pressure bleeding, I'm not interested.  I think what I'm doing is good enough.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:48:46 AM by pmmpete »

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Halfway through reading your post I was thinking, but what about the sea lions and sharks? :) 
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Halfway through reading your post I was thinking, but what about the sea lions and sharks? :)
No seals, sea lions, or sharks in Montana yet.  But as climate change progresses, who knows.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was thinking of having the pump in the cooler and use it as an additional step before I filet the fish back at the launch or at home. I ask because the last salmon I caught I instantly bled by cutting its gills on each side. I know it bled well as it was pumping s lot of red out into the water.  However, after filtering the fish I saw a little bit of blood left in the veins of the meat. I was able to push a lot out with my finger but after watching a few pressure bleeding videos it had me thinking of an extra way to clean the fish.  I already have a bulge pump so all extra that is needed is a tippet for my tube. 
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I’m feeling a little better after a headache incident so I’ll inject my $0.02 (I didn’t watch said video) I Gabe bleed my sea bass on the deck cutting all the gills without the wooden shampoo.... I was gifted a few that were not bleed..... big difference at the fillet table my filets were a nice clean white and the gifted were red.... same fish from the same water. I have also been in the Garibaldi cleaning station with PC fish and the pb guy that had Rockaway Beach reef fish compared fillets and he said he will forever bleed without bonking as he bled but after the night-night stick. In my opinion (PETA is coming) it’s far better to let them bleed to death as they pump out most of the blood. But again that’s just my $0.02 Tuesday night ramble.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I Gabe bleed my sea bass on the deck cutting all the gills without the wooden shampoo....

WTH is "Gabe bleeding"?  Criminy, Mojo, have you invented yet another way to get white filets?    :banjo:
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I Gabe bleed my sea bass on the deck cutting all the gills without the wooden shampoo....

WTH is "Gabe bleeding"?  Criminy, Mojo, have you invented yet another way to get white filets?    :banjo:
No it’s a friend of mine that my RETARDED smartphone keeps popping in when my large fingers hit the wrong keys on the keyboard. But not to worry he’s not bleeding but fish “have”

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”