Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:12:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Winter reading  (Read 4764 times)

Hydrospider

"Deep Trouble" and "More Deep Trouble" are a compilation of kayak calamity and sometimes fatality.
Out of 50+ documented situations, most happen in NWKA territory.
If you just wanted to read one I would go with the first.
Deep Trouble is packed with excellent lessons in surviving and not.
Add to cart.

Hydrospider

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, he said, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't.   But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drowned now and again."

John Millington Synge

The perfect opening quote for the book that I believe I have learned the most from and referred back to most often. This one is probably already on your bookshelf but I feel like I should mention it in this thread anyway.
This book should be required reading before anyone purchases their first kayak.

Derek C Hutchinson's  "The complete book of Seakayaking"
Absolutely add to cart.

skidlybo

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll check it out.

Hydrospider

Capt. Ken Daubert was the guy who brought us the banjo minnow and a fun underwater bass infomercial.
He also put together a nice kayak fishing book that promotes this game to those who might be considering jumping in. Its dated but enjoyable.
 Capt Ken also made 2 videos that I have enjoyed many times and serve as a favorite background when Team Bridgeport is visiting. The bass video focuses on florida top water and has great underwater footage much like the Banjo Minnow stuff. His self documentation inspired me to do the same and his " hop on the back of my kayak" style and charm kind of felt like fishing with Hank Hill. If you enjoy bass fishing and are interested in how to make a mounted camera on the back of your boat feel like a full production guided fishing show, this is for you.
 The tarpon video is another level. A super fun video for kayak big fish hunters. This dude can really fish and the silver kings are amazing!

All 3 of these have some instruction but its mostly just inspirational entertainment.
If you happen to see them in a used book store, pick 'em up, but none are must haves.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:48:48 AM by Hydrospider »

Hydrospider

"Judgement is the filter through which knowledge, skills, and experience are translated into actions, and as such it is enhanced by reflection."

This is the one that you read, then pass it on to the friends that you adventure with. Talk about it together and then practice together.
 I enjoyed the focus on risk management, which is a big part of my professional world that also applies to my recreational life. It covers a lot of information in a reasonably sized book. It is deeper and more technical than others that I have recommended in this thread.
I am better because of it.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
"Judgement is the filter through which knowledge, skills, and experience are translated into actions, and as such it is enhanced by reflection."

This is the one that you read, then pass it on to the friends that you adventure with. Talk about it together and then practice together.
 I enjoyed the focus on risk management, which is a big part of my professional world that also applies to my recreational life. It covers a lot of information in a reasonably sized book. It is deeper and more technical than others that I have recommended in this thread.
I am better because of it.
Amazon $12.49 paperback

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Hydrospider

This is one that I would guess that a lot of kayak anglers don't have on the shelf, but a lot of kayak anglers would find benefit in reading. This especially holds true for those who are intimidated by surf launch and exit.  Before I started paddling with fishing gear, I made the transition from river runner to wave rider. This book would have been a huge help in softening that sometimes painful transition.
Not only will this book help the angler trying to kayak understand how hydrology works, get through the waves safely, and have an awareness of wave etiquette, it may even inspire some to spend those important days with no fishing gear and just playing in waves.
An angler follows waves into the beach while a kayaker rides them in.
It is obvious who is uncomfortable and may get hurt and who is having a blast even when they stack.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 09:25:26 AM by Hydrospider »

Hydrospider

This one I keep right next to the above book. Published in 1964 and may be tough to find.
This explains how water works. Understanding this can save your life.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
This is one that I would guess that a lot of kayak anglers don't have on the shelf, but a lot of kayak anglers would find benefit in reading. This especially holds true for those who are intimidated by surf launch and exit.  Before I started paddling with fishing gear, I made the transition from river runner to wave rider. This book would have been a huge help in softening that sometimes painful transition.
Not only will this book help the angler trying to kayak understand how hydrology works, get through the waves safely, and have an awareness of wave etiquette, it may even inspire some to spend those important days with no fishing gear and just playing in waves.
An angler follows waves into the beach while a kayaker rides them in.
It is obvious who is uncomfortable and may get hurt and who is having a blast even when they stack.
Your curling keep the nose up!  ;)

Shannon

Hydrospider

That would be called pearling.

Im still claiming that the limenade Kraken took me out.

Hydrospider

If someone was to gather some interest in surfing plastic boats, Kent Ford has a video that is super helpful. Most of the info can also be applied to the big SOTs which I have enjoyed surfing almost as much as the surf boats. Some of my most memorable rides and wipeouts were on the OK Malibu II.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

That would be called pearling.

Im still claiming that the limenade Kraken took me out. I believe we discussed that one before definitely the cross traffics fault.
Stupid smartphone autocorrect again.

Shannon

Hydrospider

When it comes to big name kayakers, you can't get much bigger than Ken Whiting. Not just a world champion but a producer of great kayak educational resources.
This is another good book to build a strong general knowledge base before you ever get on the water and a good resource to review as you evolve into a paddler.
I think what sets this one apart from others that have great information, is that the photos and presentations are up to date. I recommend it without reservation.

Hydrospider

While I had planned to just hit on positive resources, this thread could use just a little balance.

I had to take a picture from the web for this book because I used my copy to start a campfire.
Nuff said.

Hydrospider

Dennis Spike put together a video that has a charm similar to Capt Ken's.  It's a classic get started resource but could also be viewed as dated. Still, there is plenty of wisdom shared and some things, such as bowline use, that I believe the kayak fishing culture should not have moved on from.
Spike may have slipped from the mainstream limelight but is still a regular on the Sonoma coast.
Ive run into him on the water a few times and purchased a boat from him when he was working with RTM. Just like Spike, the video is charming and light. Im glad that I bought it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:25:21 AM by Hydrospider »