Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: New Years Day Catch?  (Read 3033 times)

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

Also you may want to strap your rods horizontally along the right side of your hobie, pointing tips towad the back, this way, in a roll over, you won't snap them.  Happy to show you how I did it with a couple of nylon pad eyes and one handed tie down straps.  Rods are completely out of the way, in case of an involuntary bail out.

I would also be interested in seeing what has worked well for you.  I have been trying to decide the best way for protecting equipment during landings.  If you could post a couple photos that would be great.

Zach, I have the rectangular hatch on my outback and it still doesn't work very well to store a two piece rod inside.  My four piece fly rod will store fine though.

Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Not intending a hijack here, but Hobies have molded supports for the paddle when it's strapped to the side.  Laying a rod across those plus using the paddle-holder bungee make a really stable platform when you carry rods on the side of the boat.  A second bungee or strap would be a good idea, especially if you're prone to huli, but a rod locks in pretty snugly as is.

I am not sure my rods would have survived the simple bungee system unless the bungees were locked in.  That water (5 ft every 15 seconds) has a lot of force.  From my surfing days i know that the longer the interval between the waves the more push and power behind them. A few pad eyes and flexible gear ties should solve the trick as well and keep things out of the way.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:48:03 PM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
New Year's Eve I found myself on a solo fishing mission with the dogs and it paid off. These pups are so patient, as they stood by my side all morning in the cold and even showed some stoke when I hooked fish. I lost a drawn out battle with a Big'un that I couldn't budge in low fast water. There's a poor quality short video I managed to get from my phone while she had me pinned. I walked with a nice chrome steelhead hen & some fresh eggs. Happy New Years & cheers to NOT losing any valuable/sentimental gear this year!
Hugh
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:58:24 PM by MurseStrong »
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Not intending a hijack here, but Hobies have molded supports for the paddle when it's strapped to the side.  Laying a rod across those plus using the paddle-holder bungee make a really stable platform when you carry rods on the side of the boat.  A second bungee or strap would be a good idea, especially if you're prone to huli, but a rod locks in pretty snugly as is.

I am not sure my rods would have survived the simple bungee system unless the bungees were locked in.  That water (5 ft every 15 seconds) has a lot of force.  From my surfing days i know htat the longer the interval between the waves the more push and power behind them. A few pad eyes and tiestible gear ties should solve the trick as well and keep things out of the way.

I will post up some pics.   The whole setup will cost you about $6 in pad eyes and straps.  Rods are locked down tight against the kayak.  I first tie the rods together with Velcro rod straps, then slip them into the tie downs.  Crazy simple but I haven't lost one or broke one yet.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I am not sure my rods would have survived the simple bungee system unless the bungees were locked in.  That water (5 ft every 15 seconds) has a lot of force.  From my surfing days i know that the longer the interval between the waves the more push and power behind them. A few pad eyes and flexible gear ties should solve the trick as well and keep things out of the way.

I don't disagree with you, Zach.  I carried my fly rods using those supports and the paddle bungee, but fly reels weigh nothing compared to conventional reels, and that makes a difference.  I'm only suggesting that those molded paddle supports on a Hobie reduce downward deflection and minimize a rod rolling outward - but they're only a good foundation on which to build a system to secure your rods.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Cosmo does it.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I know it's the 4th. Can I slip this in anyway?