Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:30:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:16:20 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Brownlee Crappie Shootout III  (Read 9707 times)

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Shelta High Performance Sun Hats
www.sheltahats.com

Dakota Lithium
www.dakotalithiumbattery.com

Next Adventure
www.nextadventure.net

Boker
www.bokerusa.com

Copper Belt Winery
www.copperbeltwinery.com

Lamiglas
www.lamiglas.com

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:06:55 PM by jed »

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
The bad news is: All the crappie at Brownlee are all the same size

The good news: They are all 12"

Got out for a few hours yesterday. The wind was blowing pretty good and I was confined to a couple of hundred yards of bank. Managed to find 5 fish that were all about the same size. Even got a few bass and a trout trolling a ned. The reservoir is still low but they should be starting to fill it soon. May be a really good year to get over and crappie fish even if you miss the event.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
Reel Grip
reelgrip.com

Bi-Mart
www.bimart.com

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Can anyone clarify the boundaries of this for me?  I've been all over the maps and google and I'm a little confused.  The rules say Brownlee and Oxbow reservoirs but I don't see them clearly defined anywhere that I've found this far.  The Oxbow Dam looks pretty far north on the map (further than my screen shot).  I assumed we'd be fishing near the campground itself but that looks technically like the Powder River.  Is Brownlee the part just upstream of the dam (NE part of my screen shot)?  Google maps has basically everything south of the dam on the Snake also labeled Brownlee until some point which I can't see it just goes back to calling it the Snake river.  Is the river navigable both ways out there?

Thanks in advance.  I've never been out that way. :)
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Brownlee reservoir is huge, like 50 miles long.  The Hewitt park where most camp is on the powder river arm of Brownlee.  Most people fished from the park last year, but some people fished all over the reservior.  If you fish the Powder river arm, you need an Oregon license, so people from Idaho may choose to fish the main channel where their Idaho license is good.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
Brownlee reservoir is huge, like 50 miles long.  The Hewitt park where most camp is on the powder river arm of Brownlee.  Most people fished from the park last year, but some people fished all over the reservior.  If you fish the Powder river arm, you need an Oregon license, so people from Idaho may choose to fish the main channel where their Idaho license is good.
Thanks James, also Oxbow is about 30 miles from the camp ground and can have nice fish as well.

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I can see how it can be a little confusing.  Brownlee is huge when completely full.  they are currently raising the water levels (they drop it for flood control) so we should be able to fish straight out of camp.  I think it came up about 6ft in the 3 days we were camped there last year.

Oxbow is also a great place to fish.  there can be a bit of current in the main channel though.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Thanks, ya'll.  That helps a lot.  So basically everything upstream of both of the dams it looks like?  Maybe I'll bring a longer kayak then... I'd been debating bringing my little 10 footer so I can stand up in it easier (its really wide).
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Jimbob45

• If you don’t take that first step to the next adventure, you’ll never go anywhere.
  • Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
No need to fish anything other than the arm of the powder river.   Last year I was the only one to actually went out into the snake river.. the fishing is way better in the arm.
Hobie outback
Hobie Pro Angler

1st  2018 Chum Derby
1st 2018 AOTY 1966 pts

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Well, Jed, so happens the tournament is the same weekend of round 2 of the WA State lacrosse championship, and my daughter and I both want to watch my son’s team.

Y’all have a great time fishing the BCS!

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
Well, Jed, so happens the tournament is the same weekend of round 2 of the WA State lacrosse championship, and my daughter and I both want to watch my son’s team.

Y’all have a great time fishing the BCS!
Thanks for the heads up John, hope your son does well. Maybe I'll catch you at the ORC.

siebler

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Wife and I are roling out of Portland in the morning, will be in campsite 10 for the weekend.  Stoked, see you all there!

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Anyone know about the average water depth in the powder river arm and main channel?  Anyone with recent water temp info?  Just curious. Thanks.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
Anyone know about the average water depth in the powder river arm and main channel?  Anyone with recent water temp info?  Just curious. Thanks.
From what I've been hearing the water temp is around 60 and I'm not sure what the average depth is. There's the old river channel that runs the length of it but I usually just hit the shoreline.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Sweet, thanks!  Trying to learn as much as I can before I get there.  I've never targetted any species on the list except for the rare bass I get lucky with.  Are two rods allowed?  I find the e regulations a chore.  I've been looking for twenty minutes.  Not that I need two rods, but I do like to leave the lure just barely in the water so it doesn't get tangled if I switch rods to a different rig for a few casts and technically that's two rods.